Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

You know you're settling in when.....

You know you're settling in when.....

Old Mar 30th 2007, 9:01 am
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute
Default You know you're settling in when.....

You know you're settling in when you start stopping turning prices into pounds,and you buy an NZ paper,and your tone turns up at the end of a sentence,and when you get your favourite smoothy in the mall without asking,and when the drive into Wellington is gorgeous....again.

Any others?
Old Mar 30th 2007, 9:06 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: You know you're settling in when.....

Originally Posted by danny.f
You know you're settling in when you start stopping turning prices into pounds,and you buy an NZ paper,and your tone turns up at the end of a sentence,and when you get your favourite smoothy in the mall without asking,and when the drive into Wellington is gorgeous....again.

Any others?
When I can get to work without getting lost
When my colleagues can make me a coffee without having to ask what I take in it
When I wake up in the morning and recognise the sound of cicadas instead of thinking it is a pressure cooker noise
When you stop mistaking a blue note for a fiver!
Old Mar 30th 2007, 9:13 am
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by karonious
When I can get to work without getting lost
When my colleagues can make me a coffee without having to ask what I take in it
When I wake up in the morning and recognise the sound of cicadas instead of thinking it is a pressure cooker noise
When you stop mistaking a blue note for a fiver!
Hello love!! When you can get home driving 10 miles in 20 minutes,when you can get there just as fast in a 230 tonne Toyota Camry as a 5.2 litre Subaru with Saturn's ring for an exhaust.
Old Mar 30th 2007, 9:31 am
BE Forum Addict

poppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond repute

Any others?
when you pass the driving test & get all the questions right, even those bloody silly right /left turn rule thingy

when you realise people talking to you in the street aren't nutters, just friendly
Old Mar 30th 2007, 10:05 am
Account Closed

cherry will become famous soon enoughcherry will become famous soon enough

Any others?

When you complain of the traffic jams in Welly .YIS
Old Mar 30th 2007, 10:09 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cherry
When you complain of the traffic jams in Welly .YIS

Good grief, I was 2 cars back at the lights on my way to work What is the world coming to?

When you can say 'I LIKE kiwi sausages'....... (honestly, there are some nice ones out here!)
Old Mar 30th 2007, 10:35 am
Account Closed

cherry will become famous soon enoughcherry will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by karonious

Good grief, I was 2 cars back at the lights on my way to work What is the world coming to?

When you can say 'I LIKE kiwi sausages'....... (honestly, there are some nice ones out here!)
I like Suasages

as long as they come from Lincolnshire .lets not go there for now ,we had the same question in Florida ,weeners seem to be popular
Old Mar 30th 2007, 10:40 am
conquering the world!

Originally Posted by cherry
I like Suasages

as long as they come from Lincolnshire .lets not go there for now ,we had the same question in Florida ,weeners seem to be popular
Wieners: small potatoes!
You know you are settling in when you say 'iggs', not eggs, 'yis', not yes and 'choice' instead of arguing the toss, cos life is tooooooo short eh?
Old Mar 30th 2007, 1:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by poppets
when you pass the driving test & get all the questions right, even those bloody silly right /left turn rule thingy

when you realise people talking to you in the street aren't nutters, just friendly
Highjacking thread alert- what? Argghh you mean we have to take a driving test? The full practical or just a theory test?
Old Mar 30th 2007, 9:04 pm
CockneyLass

dazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud of

Any others?
When you know all the words to "Why does love do this to me"
When your routing for the All Blacks
When you start using words like "pakeha" and "whanau"
Old Mar 30th 2007, 9:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

donnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to behold

When you refer to NZ as "home"
When you not only want the All Blacks to win but also the Black Caps, the All Whites, The Silver Ferns and Aotearoha Maori.
When people walking bare foot doesn't make you look twice.
Old Mar 30th 2007, 9:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

poppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helinuk
Highjacking thread alert- what? Argghh you mean we have to take a driving test? The full practical or just a theory test?
yes theory but its only 35 questions takes about 10 mins, job done.
theres a link to The Roadcode on the Really useful thread
(i'm in sarahB's 100% club now , so if i can do it anyone can )
Old Mar 31st 2007, 12:09 am
Banned

Apple Tree is a jewel in the roughApple Tree is a jewel in the roughApple Tree is a jewel in the roughApple Tree is a jewel in the rough

.....you get one of these....

Old Mar 31st 2007, 12:11 am
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by poppets
yes theory but its only 35 questions takes about 10 mins, job done.
theres a link to The Roadcode on the Really useful thread
(i'm in sarahB's 100% club now , so if i can do it anyone can )
I got one wrong

Back on topic:

When you refer to sweets as lollies
When someone does the turning right thing in front of you and you don't freak out
You think it's normal when your boss hands you a beer at your desk at 4pm on a Friday
Old Mar 31st 2007, 1:01 am
Sweeeeet!

Littletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dazal
When you know all the words to "Why does love do this to me"
When your routing for the All Blacks
When you start using words like "pakeha" and "whanau"
Really made me laugh (ouch!)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.