British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   You know you're settling in when..... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/you-know-youre-settling-when-438609/)

danny.f Mar 30th 2007 9:01 am

You know you're settling in when.....

You know you're settling in when you start stopping turning prices into pounds,and you buy an NZ paper,and your tone turns up at the end of a sentence,and when you get your favourite smoothy in the mall without asking,and when the drive into Wellington is gorgeous....again.

Any others?

karonious Mar 30th 2007 9:06 am

Re: You know you're settling in when.....

Originally Posted by danny.f (Post 4581369)
You know you're settling in when you start stopping turning prices into pounds,and you buy an NZ paper,and your tone turns up at the end of a sentence,and when you get your favourite smoothy in the mall without asking,and when the drive into Wellington is gorgeous....again.

Any others?

When I can get to work without getting lost
When my colleagues can make me a coffee without having to ask what I take in it
When I wake up in the morning and recognise the sound of cicadas instead of thinking it is a pressure cooker noise
When you stop mistaking a blue note for a fiver!

danny.f Mar 30th 2007 9:13 am

Originally Posted by karonious (Post 4581397)
When I can get to work without getting lost
When my colleagues can make me a coffee without having to ask what I take in it
When I wake up in the morning and recognise the sound of cicadas instead of thinking it is a pressure cooker noise
When you stop mistaking a blue note for a fiver!

Hello love!! When you can get home driving 10 miles in 20 minutes,when you can get there just as fast in a 230 tonne Toyota Camry as a 5.2 litre Subaru with Saturn's ring for an exhaust.:D

poppets Mar 30th 2007 9:31 am

Any others?

when you pass the driving test & get all the questions right, even those bloody silly right /left turn rule thingy

when you realise people talking to you in the street aren't nutters, just friendly

cherry Mar 30th 2007 10:05 am

Any others?

When you complain of the traffic jams in Welly .YIS:thumbsup:

karonious Mar 30th 2007 10:09 am

Originally Posted by cherry (Post 4581599)
When you complain of the traffic jams in Welly .YIS:thumbsup:

:lol:
Good grief, I was 2 cars back at the lights on my way to work ;) What is the world coming to?

When you can say 'I LIKE kiwi sausages'.......:thumbsup: (honestly, there are some nice ones out here!)

cherry Mar 30th 2007 10:35 am

Originally Posted by karonious (Post 4581608)
:lol:
Good grief, I was 2 cars back at the lights on my way to work ;) What is the world coming to?

When you can say 'I LIKE kiwi sausages'.......:thumbsup: (honestly, there are some nice ones out here!)

I like Suasages :thumbsup:

as long as they come from Lincolnshire .lets not go there for now ,we had the same question in Florida ,weeners seem to be popular:thumbdown:

karonious Mar 30th 2007 10:40 am

Originally Posted by cherry (Post 4581690)
I like Suasages :thumbsup:

as long as they come from Lincolnshire .lets not go there for now ,we had the same question in Florida ,weeners seem to be popular:thumbdown:

Wieners: small potatoes!:thumbup: :thumbsup:
You know you are settling in when you say 'iggs', not eggs, 'yis', not yes and 'choice' instead of arguing the toss, cos life is tooooooo short eh?:thumbup:

helinuk Mar 30th 2007 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by poppets (Post 4581482)
when you pass the driving test & get all the questions right, even those bloody silly right /left turn rule thingy

when you realise people talking to you in the street aren't nutters, just friendly

Highjacking thread alert-:D what? Argghh you mean we have to take a driving test? The full practical or just a theory test?

dazal Mar 30th 2007 9:04 pm

Any others?

When you know all the words to "Why does love do this to me"
When your routing for the All Blacks
When you start using words like "pakeha" and "whanau"
:)

donnaf Mar 30th 2007 9:40 pm

When you refer to NZ as "home"
When you not only want the All Blacks to win but also the Black Caps, the All Whites, The Silver Ferns and Aotearoha Maori.
When people walking bare foot doesn't make you look twice.

poppets Mar 30th 2007 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by helinuk (Post 4582278)
Highjacking thread alert-:D what? Argghh you mean we have to take a driving test? The full practical or just a theory test?

yes theory but its only 35 questions takes about 10 mins, job done.
theres a link to The Roadcode on the Really useful thread
(i'm in sarahB's 100% club now:) , so if i can do it anyone can:thumbsup: )

Apple Tree Mar 31st 2007 12:09 am

.....you get one of these....

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w...o003Medium.jpg

RobClubley Mar 31st 2007 12:11 am

Originally Posted by poppets (Post 4584279)
yes theory but its only 35 questions takes about 10 mins, job done.
theres a link to The Roadcode on the Really useful thread
(i'm in sarahB's 100% club now:) , so if i can do it anyone can:thumbsup: )

I got one wrong :o

Back on topic:

When you refer to sweets as lollies
When someone does the turning right thing in front of you and you don't freak out
You think it's normal when your boss hands you a beer at your desk at 4pm on a Friday

Littletoe Mar 31st 2007 1:01 am

Originally Posted by dazal (Post 4584072)
When you know all the words to "Why does love do this to me"
When your routing for the All Blacks
When you start using words like "pakeha" and "whanau"
:)

:rofl: :rofl: Really made me laugh (ouch!)