Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

worried about emigrating

worried about emigrating

Old Sep 11th 2012, 10:45 am
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: worried about emigrating

Good luck Pinky2, you'll need it! As long as you and your potential new business in NZ will all work out hunky dory for you then all is good right? Doesn't matter about your teenage sons who have no visa, no right to an education or job or healthcare because their parents decided they want to up sticks and move 12,000 miles across the other side of the world without much thought. With no visa, no house, no job with teenage sons with you I'm sure you'll succeed in starting up a successful business... no really.

And for the record there are lovely people in NZ. They are indeed "interllectual" people. Kiwis are also brutally honest, which they have been with you. There's no airy fairy sugar coating with a cherry on top like we do in England. They tell you how it is straight up. If you aren't willing to take their advice on board then frankly it's your funeral! I personally feel sorry for your sons. I don't think I would ever forgive my parents if they did this...
Old Sep 11th 2012, 10:56 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

We are not attacking you, just your lack of planning and naivety in expecting NZ to welcome you as an immigrant. We have been through the process and know that coming over and getting a job and visa is not easy.

From what you've told us it is very obvious that you will not easily get a visa. We could all say 'fine, come on over, life will be great and everything will be perfect' but getting a foot in the door over here is just not that simple.

If it was just the two of you then I think you'd have more encouragement to just go for it. But on the proviso that you understood the consequences. Most of us either live here or are trying to get visas and can all see the major drawbacks to what you are proposing. You need to fully consider the effects on your sons, they need education or the ability to find work at those ages and with no visa for either then what are they going to do?
If you are dead set on this then go for it but you need to know where your plans may fall down.
As for starting a business; you still need a visa for that, this means having a solid business plan plus significant funds. Have you previously owned a business or have management experience? I get the impression on here that this is not an easy visa category to work through

Last edited by Persephone; Sep 11th 2012 at 10:59 am.
Old Sep 11th 2012, 10:59 am
Forum Regular

pinky2 is an unknown quantity at this point

okay i know you think i am daft but really i am not, and i do prefer brutal honesty, i also know that NZ is not england with it dole and NHs and charity but, you do have generally the same system and laws, i have lived in SA that is why i can tell you about those countries, venezuela is eden except that the people are snakes, and it is because of my sons that we contemplated NZ, i obviously love my kids like you do yours it is just a different way of viewing things, for example is there only one way of going on the road, you can walk, ride a bike, car etc, HOW HAVE OTHER PEOPLE GOT TO LIVE IN NZ they all did not have money, how do the indians get to live there they certainly dont have money, yet there they are? What you deem impossible others see possibility, when the early settlers went there was there housing jobs food etc, no they had to see the longer vision, hence you are using the computer because of vision?
Why are there so little people in that country dont they have blanket sport
or are they to busy outside, they must not have time to do the necessary?
Old Sep 11th 2012, 11:06 am
Forum Regular

Chris-Napier has a reputation beyond reputeChris-Napier has a reputation beyond reputeChris-Napier has a reputation beyond reputeChris-Napier has a reputation beyond reputeChris-Napier has a reputation beyond reputeChris-Napier has a reputation beyond reputeChris-Napier has a reputation beyond reputeChris-Napier has a reputation beyond reputeChris-Napier has a reputation beyond reputeChris-Napier has a reputation beyond reputeChris-Napier has a reputation beyond repute

Pinky2
With respect..... I have read your last post and rather bemused to say the least. You must have heaps of money to be able to just 'pop' over to the other side of the world - 4 of you - maybe for just 6 months. I have no problem with anyone living their dream life, living in backpackers and traveling around if it was just for a holiday. But I would be gutted if you were allowed into NZ without going through the proper procedure. It took us 18 months and cost us thousands of pounds to emigrate here and get the particular visa we needed. We got PR in 2009 which again cost us a lot. You are a secretary but I know for a fact that any administration type jobs that do come up, about 200 or more people apply - at least. If you were all here for a 6 month visitors visa, you could not work until you had the correct visa to do so, plus you would only get the job if that company could not find a kiwi/ or resident to do it. I really do not think it will be as easy as you think. It is a lot different to UK, yes this is a beautiful country, but we do have very strict rules regarding emigration here. In my opinion - a good thing!! That is why I left the UK. I hated watching the overcrowding, people walking in and getting everything they wanted without contributing. Think I had better stop now......... just had to say it!!
Old Sep 11th 2012, 11:08 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pinky2
okay i know you think i am daft but really i am not, and i do prefer brutal honesty, i also know that NZ is not england with it dole and NHs and charity but, you do have generally the same system and laws, i have lived in SA that is why i can tell you about those countries, venezuela is eden except that the people are snakes, and it is because of my sons that we contemplated NZ, i obviously love my kids like you do yours it is just a different way of viewing things, for example is there only one way of going on the road, you can walk, ride a bike, car etc, HOW HAVE OTHER PEOPLE GOT TO LIVE IN NZ they all did not have money, how do the indians get to live there they certainly dont have money, yet there they are? What you deem impossible others see possibility, when the early settlers went there was there housing jobs food etc, no they had to see the longer vision, hence you are using the computer because of vision?
Why are there so little people in that country dont they have blanket sport
or are they to busy outside, they must not have time to do the necessary?
But there is still only one set of immigration rules. Having a 'vision' will not change that unless your vision includes a way for you to fit into the system as it stands.
Most of us got here through either having skilled jobs, a job offer [in shortage] or being the family member of someone with such or a family or partnership connection.
Your job is on the immediate shortage list so that would be your way in and I have explained this already. Job first though that is not going to be simple.
By the way, there are some very rich and also some very skilled Indians.
Old Sep 11th 2012, 11:13 am
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

"How did the Indians get there, they certainly don't have money." Lovely sweeping generalization there Pinky2! Obviously everyone living in India is poverty stricken living in mud shacks with no food or money with no wealthy people living there... I have a few Indian friends, one of which his father owns a hospital in Delhi, he is extremely well off as are most of his colleagues/friends.

Oh dear god I give up, good luck everyone else.
Old Sep 11th 2012, 11:13 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

I can't believe you are all taking the bait
Old Sep 11th 2012, 11:15 am
Queen of the Underworld

Originally Posted by Grayling
I can't believe you are all taking the bait
It's a fun way to end an evening!

Yep my life is not very exciting at the moment...

Last edited by Persephone; Sep 11th 2012 at 11:18 am.
Old Sep 11th 2012, 11:17 am
She'll be right

Lol you're right Grayling. Maybe I just fancied a little debate, it's been a quiet day so far :-)
Old Sep 11th 2012, 11:17 am
Just Joined

johntmanic has a brilliant futurejohntmanic has a brilliant futurejohntmanic has a brilliant futurejohntmanic has a brilliant futurejohntmanic has a brilliant futurejohntmanic has a brilliant futurejohntmanic has a brilliant future

This thread is like a car crash - I don't want to look but I keep doing!
Old Sep 11th 2012, 11:21 am
Forum Regular

Chris-Napier has a reputation beyond reputeChris-Napier has a reputation beyond reputeChris-Napier has a reputation beyond reputeChris-Napier has a reputation beyond reputeChris-Napier has a reputation beyond reputeChris-Napier has a reputation beyond reputeChris-Napier has a reputation beyond reputeChris-Napier has a reputation beyond reputeChris-Napier has a reputation beyond reputeChris-Napier has a reputation beyond reputeChris-Napier has a reputation beyond repute

You are right - certainly got us all going!! Not going to look any more tonight as if I do, I have to reply!!!! May have a peep in the morning though!
Nite!!!!
Old Sep 11th 2012, 11:23 am
She'll be right

Already fallen into that trap Chris-Napier! I've got some popcorn on the go too...
Old Sep 11th 2012, 11:24 am
Queen of the Underworld

Tea and Grain Waves for me
Old Sep 11th 2012, 11:26 am
Forum Regular

pinky2 is an unknown quantity at this point

trust me when i say you have no idea how hard it was to get where i have got to, nothing came easy i have had to work in uk i have never been on the dole, and my sons dont get handouts either even though they can i just dont allow it, every country you go to you have to deal with imm i know that we need visa to work i know that you have to get a job first, but it is just that we prefer to try the other way round, this is the british thing, if i do it this way then you must also do it this way, then if i applied and took eighteen months then you apply and do it eighteen months, who said we are in it together, we are not every person emigrates on their own steam, and another thing i would like to say to the english people, you dont own a country coz you were born there it is only sand, so what if people want to come to england and it is overcrowded why did you emigrate is life and food and luxury only for you? Did you create the earth? Do you by yourself make a poulation? IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM WITH OTHERS TRYING TO BETTER THEMSELVES OR ARE JEALOUS OF OTHERS I SAY PLEASE START WITH YOURSELF FIRST COMMIT SUICIDE IF YOU HAVE A POPULATION PROBLEM WHY MUST OTHERS STAY WHERE THEY ARE AND YOU GET WHAT YOU WANT WHY MUST YOU FLY TO OTHER COUNTRIES TO LIVE BUT OTHERS MUST STAY WHERE THEY ARE i definately resent this kind of thinking it is bias and vicious, If you are not rich are you going to hate those that are just because they tried harder at something,
ANOTHER THING LIFE IS LIMITED TO OTHERS BECAUSE THEY MAKE IT SO NO-ONE COMES INTO YOUR LIFE AND MAKES IT HELL YOU MAKE IT YOURSELF BY YOUR OWN DECISIONS = THE CHOICES YOU MAKE DETERMINE THE ROAD YOU TAKE
why is it that the white people can overtake another nation settle down build an economy and they say it is right, when others migrate they say no you must not come into the country coz i put laws who gave you the country was there visa there when you went no. Also i am white
Old Sep 11th 2012, 11:30 am
She'll be right

Popcorn, Tea and Grain Waves at the ready people. Here we go! Or maybe we should take her advice and go and commit suicide...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.