British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   worried about emigrating (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/worried-about-emigrating-771110/)

pinky2 Sep 10th 2012 10:24 am

worried about emigrating

hi i need hellllp! we want to come to NZ in october 2012 with two teenagers aged 16 and 18 boys

1. Can they get apprenticeships
2. What is there for them to do
3. Which area is cheapest for us
4. Hubby is only truck driver class 5
6. Where would be best to start

i am in such a tizz i dont know where to start in that country

pse help

MrsFychan Sep 10th 2012 10:57 am

Re: worried about emigrating

you need to be seeing if you can actually get in.
You will need a visa and that depends on what you have to offer NZ.
You will need to look at the Immigration website and see if you can qualify.
Also highly unlikely you will be able to come over on any visa in a month, most visa will take over 3mths depending on the way you go
http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migrant/

pinky2 Sep 10th 2012 11:03 am

Originally Posted by MrsFychan (Post 10272971)
you need to be seeing if you can actually get in.
You will need a visa and that depends on what you have to offer NZ.
You will need to look at the Immigration website and see if you can qualify.
Also highly unlikely you will be able to come over on any visa in a month, most visa will take over 3mths depending on the way you go
http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migrant/

i ama holder of a british passport and do not need a visa to come
i just need some info

Persephone Sep 10th 2012 11:24 am

October this year, seriously??? Have you done any research on this yet? Why the rush, you need to do some proper research on this and that takes time.

Mrs F has given you the info on how to start. First thing is whether it is possible for you to get a visa.
Truck driver class 5 is on the Immediate Skills shortage list which means he could be issued a temporary work visa if someone were to offer him a job [without them having to prove that no NZers are available]. A work visa is temporary and would require him to renew it once it expired, there would be no guarantees that truck drivers would remain in shortage. Also it would be job first, then visa.

To find a way to come over on a more permanent basis could be more problematic. Have a look through the official site and get back to us.

pinky2 Sep 10th 2012 11:48 am

i have looked on the forums and done research for about 3 months but cant seem to make head or tails, i do realise about the Short skills list, but if he can get a job offer would that not make a difference, my problem is the boys. we have been contemplating NZ for about a year since we got back to uk but do not wish to stay in uk, and must leave now in october because lease runs out and we do not wish to spend more money on rent here

phyns Sep 10th 2012 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by pinky2 (Post 10273030)
i have looked on the forums and done research for about 3 months but cant seem to make head or tails, i do realise about the Short skills list, but if he can get a job offer would that not make a difference, my problem is the boys. we have been contemplating NZ for about a year since we got back to uk but do not wish to stay in uk, and must leave now in october because lease runs out and we do not wish to spend more money on rent here

Worth having a read though this thread http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=503750

This may also be interesting
http://newzealand.govt.nz/browse/edu...prenticeships/

pinky2 Sep 10th 2012 1:10 pm

thank you sooo much for your reply i have looked at the website but i guess i will have to phone when i am there, hubby decided to try wellington first for some reason, says scenery is nice from pics. I now have to look for bed and breakfast or hostels in that area first, but would like to rent asap, i was very worried but since your replies am feeling better. we have done this before just going to a country (venezuela) got off plane and looked for acc had no spanish, was terribly exp hotels but all went well in end, I dont know why i am apprehensive about NZ when they speak english, i hear it is very pricey on accomodation.

Chick-a-dee Sep 10th 2012 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by pinky2 (Post 10272976)
i ama holder of a british passport and do not need a visa to come
i just need some info

If you have a British passport then you do not need a visa to visit, but you and your family will certainly need a visa if you are planning on emigrating there. It seems very risky to uproot your family to the other side of the world without any guarantees that you'll be able to stay in the country. What will you do if you are let in for 6 months as visitors and then have your permanent, or temporary, residency visas declined? I think that you'd be better off staying in the UK for a little while longer whilst you sort out the immigration aspects properly.

pinky2 Sep 10th 2012 6:13 pm

hi your answer is very pessamistic and depressing
i am not worried if it does not work in 6 months then back to uk that is the wonders of a british passport, though we will give it our best shot. What people do not realise is that the NZ'ers gain with the impact of foreigners, the gov gets more tax, this system has worked in all countries, without the influx of people countries cannot sustrain themselves, that is why your gov has given visa to irish to come and fix CHCH, and now chch is booming with jobs and locals making money from renting and providing other stuff. More importation of cars, food, clothes etc the list goes on and this is what happened in UK it was dragged kicking and screaming into the 20th centuary, they must do the same for NZ into the 21st centuary, People from other countries bring diversity and change and knowledge which creates a growing infrastructure, look at america and australia next door, money makes the world turn not stagnation

hazeandsteve Sep 10th 2012 6:32 pm

Thanks for the social education.
If you flick a similar email to John Key, I'm sure he'll offer you an Internal Affairs ministerial position.
If only all us people had the desire to be American/British/Australian then the world would obviously one big fluffy cloud of joy.........eh?:blink:

pinky2 Sep 10th 2012 6:39 pm

here we go again, this is what makes people different their opinions, i can make mine you know but the world does turn with immigration, btw are you not british was it not british settlers there first and in america and australia, same bloodline, its like saying a pakistani and indian are different because of a border.

Chick-a-dee Sep 10th 2012 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by pinky2 (Post 10273709)
hi your answer is very pessamistic and depressing

Wasn't intending to be pessimistic or depressing, just wanted to give you the facts. You can't just turn up and expect to be able to stay without having the correct visa. It's not like Europe where a British passport entitles you to move to other EU member countries.

phyns Sep 10th 2012 6:54 pm

Pinky2, chick a dee was being factual. You can't take up gainful employment or start an apprenticeship on a 6 months visitors visa which is all you can get if you just turn up. You will also need to prove if asked to show that you can support yourself for 6 months and that you have a return airfare.

Keys didn't just pop over to Ireland and say, "house building party at my place" any Irish builder still has to get a work visa or PR.

I'm off to get some popcorn...........

skends Sep 10th 2012 7:02 pm

Hi pinky2

Just to wish you good luck in your quest to get to NZ - its not as easy - we are still in the process and have been since May - and you want to be there in october!!
All of NZ is picturesque - not just wellington
You can visit NZ but cant work until you have some sort of work visa - takes time to organise im afraid.
i think there is no 'wonders of a british passport' - its the same anywhere you come from.
3 months doing your research - and you still cant make head or tails - maybe you should go and see an immigration advisor, you will pay alot of money for this but might help you clarify some of your concerns.
Again i wish you all the best.

Chick-a-dee Sep 10th 2012 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by phyns (Post 10273771)
Keys didn't just pop over to Ireland and say, "house building party at my place"

PMSL:rofl: