Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Workers moving to chch - new accommodation idea - would you live in a pod?

Workers moving to chch - new accommodation idea - would you live in a pod?

Old Jun 5th 2013, 6:26 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Workers moving to chch - new accommodation idea - would you live in a pod?

I'd live in them if I was single, needed cheap accommodation and was about 20 years younger...
Old Jun 5th 2013, 6:40 am
BE Enthusiast

paddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Workers moving to chch - new accommodation idea - would you live in a pod?

If it was $200 with the like's of free satellite tv, internet etc included then i'd say it is worth it. It isn't much bigger than a standard bedroom
Old Jun 5th 2013, 6:46 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Let's hope it's not one almighty scam. I've just looked at their marketing on the internet, hmm.....

What happens to waste water and sewage from these pods ? Septic tank ? So, back to the mobile home parks.

A mobile home must be more fit for purpose than a, 'pod'. How do you insulate or ventilate a metal box ?

Last edited by Snap Shot; Jun 5th 2013 at 6:51 am.
Old Jun 5th 2013, 6:59 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snap Shot
Let's hope it's not one almighty scam. I've just looked at their marketing on the internet, hmm.....

What happens to waste water and sewage from these pods ? Septic tank ? So, back to the mobile home parks.

A mobile home must be more fit for purpose than a, 'pod'. How do you insulate or ventilate a metal box ?
I did wonder about how hot they would get in summer and also in winter. Our roof space in Chch would reach 40 C easily in winter...and up to 60 C in summer [we had a thermometer]. The roof space was little more than a metal box
I could live in one but would prefer a mobile home with a kitchen of its own...plus I get to be trailer trash
Old Jun 5th 2013, 7:19 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Persephone
...plus I get to be trailer trash
Then you have to go on the Jerry Springer show !
Old Jun 5th 2013, 7:35 am
Queen of the Underworld

Then you have to go on the Jerry Springer show !

I do!!

Right, time to go shopping for some miniskirts, non existent tops, fags and whisky and get started on this! I'm off to a good start- currently living in the meth capital of the USA
Just give me enough time to give birth to a child by one of a number of different men, some of which are close relatives and/or my best friends' boyfriends. Then the obligatory paternity test and punch up.

Yep, that is so me
Old Jun 5th 2013, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by Persephone

I do!!

Right, time to go shopping for some miniskirts, non existent tops, fags and whisky and get started on this! I'm off to a good start- currently living in the meth capital of the USA
Just give me enough time to give birth to a child by one of a number of different men, some of which are close relatives and/or my best friends' boyfriends. Then the obligatory paternity test and punch up.

Yep, that is so me
Would your local accent be slurred by drugs and booze or because of where you come from ? Don't forget to put your make up on in the dark. Dress like a street corner hooker whose name is D'shondra. Look surprised that an adult is speaking to you and will actually listed to your reply !

Oh, and you'll need to put the phrase, 'baby daddy' into the conversation.
Old Jun 5th 2013, 10:40 am
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about

Is that it ? It's all a bit, 'the emperors new clothes' isn't it ? A double layer of ballast filled containers as a with-holding wall at the foot of the cliffs at Redcliffs.

Then more containers as useable space in Christchurch as they are considered to be in fashion presently. Yes, I have see the advert for, 'Royal Wolf' shipping containers.

It's only a metal box. Have the mobile home parks at various sites around Christchurch been finished yet ? Y'know the ones that were being built to, 'ease' the housing crisis ? Really ? Who knew ?

Makes me wonder where all the money that's been spent is being spent. On pies for Gerry Brownlee by the look of it !

Made me spit my coffee all over my work - cheers for that!
Old Jun 5th 2013, 10:41 am
Account Closed

shocked kiwi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ChrisWilson7
More creative container fun in Chch, fantastic . Not sarcasm, it's genuinely great to see what people have done with them!
The containers are very trendy looking as shops etc like you see in the mall in chch - they look really cool. I wonder though if you live in them how noisy they would be?

I think they got the concept from the mining villages they have in Auz - but the difference is that there they are free to the workers and also the workers get free meals provided, where with this pod idea you pay.

Last edited by shocked kiwi; Jun 5th 2013 at 10:45 am.
Old Jun 5th 2013, 9:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Well let's face it, an unheated, uninsulated and unventilated shipping container is still a step up from many Kiwi houses; especially some of the the homemade dog kennels that pass for 'home and income' rentals and 'sleepouts'.