Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Offered jobs in Albany, where to live?

Offered jobs in Albany, where to live?

Old Jun 3rd 2013, 8:11 pm
Just Joined

charliep04 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Offered jobs in Albany, where to live?

Me and my girlfriend have been offered jobs in Albany, we are moving over in October this year and would massively appreciate some advice on where to live. We are mid twenties and both love playing in team sports (hockey for her and football for me) we also love the outdoors but want to make sure we live somewhere we can meet people of a similar age. Anyone got any advice?
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 9:56 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Offered jobs in Albany, where to live?

My sister in law used to live in Pinehill, Albany which has been renamed Oteha. Albany is quite a busy area with the Mega Centre with a good selection of shops and a cinema and a Columbus coffee shop. There's also another shopping centre nearby with more shops.

There's North Harbour Stadium which is a popular sports stadium. There's a pond and some nice landscaping around the centre to make it look like a small park.

Albany park and ride is the bus terminal for buses into Auckland.

I don't know about team sports you could just look in the local paper or the info boards at the supermarket when you get here.

Other districts are Browns Bay and any of the East Coast Bays. We stayed in a self catering place in Sartors Ave, Browns Bay in Feb 2011 so we could visit my sister in law as it was within walking distance of where she lived.

Last edited by Snap Shot; Jun 3rd 2013 at 10:02 pm.
Old Jun 4th 2013, 2:46 am
Account Closed

shocked kiwi is an unknown quantity at this point

Look at www.realestate.co.nz or www.trademe.co.nz (real estate section) to get an idea of what rents are and what houses go for - the rents get listed but if you are buying most are auctioned and selling well over the c.v. so won't show the price.

Last edited by shocked kiwi; Jun 4th 2013 at 2:51 am.
Old Jun 4th 2013, 9:29 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

OP could do a lot worse than Albany. It has great shops, a good range of bars, restaurants etc, the hockey centre is just down the road at North Harbour and it's easy to get out into the country, being on the edge of the city
Old Jun 4th 2013, 10:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Where you live will largely be decided by how much money you have and the lifestyle you want to lead.

You're young, so I daresay a lot of property on the shore will be well beyond your reach, unless you're incredibly rich and have a huge deposit saved. The least expensive areas are Glenfield, Beach Haven and Torbay.

If you're looking at apartment living, then your choices are somewhat limited to perhaps the Albany Heights area and maybe around Milford and Takapuna if you want to be in among younger folk and bars and restaurants.

If you're looking at buying, there are quite a lot of new entry-level housing developments and subdivisions around Albany. They're mostly higher density / low maintenance town-houses with little to no gardens.
Old Jun 4th 2013, 1:55 pm

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute

just to be controversial .... but if I were in my mid 20s and looking to meet others of my age, I'd be heading for inner-city suburbs and commuting up to Albany (you'll be going against the flow of traffic so not such an awful commute as the other way). You can easily get access to outdoor stuff and team sports from anywhere in auckland. In my opinion good suburbs for childless 20 somethings are centred out of Ponsonby (which is mega expensive), so look at Grey Lynn, or around the Karangahape Road which is a stones throw from Ponsonby.

If however this does not interest you in the slightest, then there is nothing wrong with Albany and its immediate surrounds. If you want beaches then the further north you head the more you get for your money. If you want land and hills then head towards dairy flat....
Old Jun 4th 2013, 4:16 pm
Forum Regular

SimonR has a brilliant futureSimonR has a brilliant futureSimonR has a brilliant futureSimonR has a brilliant futureSimonR has a brilliant futureSimonR has a brilliant future

Takepuna? Albanys alright

CBD probably best or ponsonby area but wouldnt recommend the commute if you have a choice, Id stick to N shore.

Actually, Birkenhead's worth a look as you can get straight to the CBD on the ferry of an evening, great bars round the ferry terminal area.

The best advice though would be to use google street view to look at bars etc in the centres of the places youre interested in.
Old Jun 6th 2013, 7:02 pm
Just Joined

charliep04 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks a lot for all your responses, some great advice and will look in too all the points made. We are looking at renting a property rather than buying it as we intend to stay for two years. I think we will look into Takepuna amongst the others that were mentioned, there seems to be some nice apartments with a shared pool that may attract younger people.