Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Workers moving to chch - new accommodation idea - would you live in a pod?

Workers moving to chch - new accommodation idea - would you live in a pod?

Old Jun 4th 2013, 10:45 pm
Account Closed

shocked kiwi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Workers moving to chch - new accommodation idea - would you live in a pod?

The earthquakes in Christchurch have caused a shortage of houses in the city which is a problem as workers are moving to the region so a property developer has come up with a new idea to convert shipping containers into pod accommodation.

They are $250 per week to rent, or buy a whole pod for $45 thousand dollars. It has a single king bed, a kettle and microwave tv and bathroom.

www.thepods.co.nz

Would you be keen to live in one? Good idea or not?

Last edited by shocked kiwi; Jun 4th 2013 at 10:52 pm.
Old Jun 4th 2013, 10:52 pm

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Workers moving to chch - new accommodation idea - would you live in a pod?

Reminds me of my bedsit days.

If I was single and looking to make some money, then yes. It looks functional and comfortable, not much room to swing a cat, but possible if you do it underarm.
Old Jun 4th 2013, 11:24 pm
Forum Regular

Conor79 is just really niceConor79 is just really niceConor79 is just really niceConor79 is just really niceConor79 is just really niceConor79 is just really niceConor79 is just really niceConor79 is just really nice
Default Re: Workers moving to chch - new accommodation idea - would you live in a pod?

I'd say $250 a week for a glorified cell is a bit steep
Old Jun 4th 2013, 11:52 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Conor79
I'd say $250 a week for a glorified cell is a bit steep
yes but compared to other prices will be quite cheap. Some (but of course not all) landlords have put up their prices by a lot and I heard about caravans being rented for $700 per week.

Last edited by shocked kiwi; Jun 5th 2013 at 12:24 am.
Old Jun 4th 2013, 11:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

paddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by shocked kiwi
The earthquakes in Christchurch have caused a shortage of houses in the city which is a problem as workers are moving to the region so a property developer has come up with a new idea to convert shipping containers into pod accommodation.

They are $250 per week to rent, or buy a whole pod for $45 thousand dollars. It has a single king bed, a kettle and microwave tv and bathroom.

www.thepods.co.nz

Would you be keen to live in one? Good idea or not?
I see online, even the like's of gumtree for example it's $150-$250 for a room to rent with electric, internet, satellite tv etc included in price. Obviously these pod's are merely temporary accommodation until more house's are built but i still believe it's too expensive. I have seen aswell online the like's of one bedroom apartment's for around the same price. There doesn't appear to be an extreme shortage of accommodation if judging by these several site's

Last edited by paddy234; Jun 5th 2013 at 12:02 am.
Old Jun 5th 2013, 12:18 am
Account Closed

I just rang up to enquire about them and they are apparently a concept that also might be rolled out in Auckland to help with the housing shortage there and to provide "cheap accom" for those that can't afford to live in the more conventional accom.
Old Jun 5th 2013, 12:26 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by paddy234
I see online, even the like's of gumtree for example it's $150-$250 for a room to rent with electric, internet, satellite tv etc included in price. Obviously these pod's are merely temporary accommodation until more house's are built but i still believe it's too expensive. I have seen aswell online the like's of one bedroom apartment's for around the same price. There doesn't appear to be an extreme shortage of accommodation if judging by these several site's
that's good.
Old Jun 5th 2013, 6:55 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shocked kiwi
I just rang up to enquire about them and they are apparently a concept that also might be rolled out in Auckland to help with the housing shortage there and to provide "cheap accom" for those that can't afford to live in the more conventional accom.
LOL - yeah right. Do a quick google and you'll find plenty of apartments available in Auckland for $250 a week.

Here's one with a pool, gym, sauna and tennis courts, discounted from $245 to $180: http://www.realestate.co.nz/2044110

Last edited by jmh; Jun 5th 2013 at 6:57 am.
Old Jun 5th 2013, 7:22 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

hardly a new idea. other countries have been doing this for years.

also saw a programme where a family had built a whole house out of shipping containers, can't remember what country it was in though.
Old Jun 5th 2013, 7:27 am
Forum Regular

GS.83 has a brilliant futureGS.83 has a brilliant futureGS.83 has a brilliant futureGS.83 has a brilliant futureGS.83 has a brilliant futureGS.83 has a brilliant future

they are being marketed at an investment opportunity, they are temporary for 9 years then the land lease expires but you get to keep the pod.

If occupied for the full period then potential to make $72000 minus any maintenance, seems a bit of a risky investment though.
Old Jun 5th 2013, 7:31 am
Forum Regular

GS.83 has a brilliant futureGS.83 has a brilliant futureGS.83 has a brilliant futureGS.83 has a brilliant futureGS.83 has a brilliant futureGS.83 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by paddy234
I wouldn't say there is a shortage but high demand, going to an open home in chch can be quite an experience, was at one fairly recently with another 30 people at it, that was only one out of two/three open homes at the same property.
Seen others which on the application say "how much would you be willing to pay for this property?"
Old Jun 5th 2013, 9:08 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

I thought you do anything except sleep in a cargo container/pod in Britain ? That means not staying overnight in one.
Old Jun 5th 2013, 10:19 am
Forum Regular

ChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really nice

More creative container fun in Chch, fantastic . Not sarcasm, it's genuinely great to see what people have done with them!
Old Jun 5th 2013, 10:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snap Shot
I thought you do anything except sleep in a cargo container/pod in Britain ? That means not staying overnight in one.
I remember they built the uber trendy Container City out of them in London's Docklands in early 2000s. They're now used all over the place for offices, school buildings and such like.

Over here I recall there was talk of using them to use them for prison cells but can't remember if that actually went ahead afterall.
Old Jun 5th 2013, 5:55 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChrisWilson7
More creative container fun in Chch, fantastic . Not sarcasm, it's genuinely great to see what people have done with them!
Is that it ? It's all a bit, 'the emperors new clothes' isn't it ? A double layer of ballast filled containers as a with-holding wall at the foot of the cliffs at Redcliffs.

Then more containers as useable space in Christchurch as they are considered to be in fashion presently. Yes, I have see the advert for, 'Royal Wolf' shipping containers.

It's only a metal box. Have the mobile home parks at various sites around Christchurch been finished yet ? Y'know the ones that were being built to, 'ease' the housing crisis ? Really ? Who knew ?

Makes me wonder where all the money that's been spent is being spent. On pies for Gerry Brownlee by the look of it !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.