Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Why did you leave NZ?

Wikiposts

Why did you leave NZ?

Old Jul 10th 2011, 8:57 am
BE Enthusiast

DC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Why did you leave NZ?

indeed. a lot more going for it than britain - its neighbours if nothing else

they're predicting 0.1% growth in britain over the last 9 months, btw
Old Jul 10th 2011, 9:06 am
Forum Regular

Leither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by DC10
indeed. a lot more going for it than britain - its neighbours if nothing else

they're predicting 0.1% growth in britain over the last 9 months, btw
So which of Britain's neighbours did you have in mind?

How can they predict 0.1% growth over the last 9 months? Last time I checked, predicitions were for future events.

FYI, growth was 1.7% last year and 0.5% in the first quarter of this year. The latest figures for NZ (2009) show negative growth of 1.3%. I just love that phrase "negative growth". Why can they jsu say economic output dropped by X%?

And for information, economic output has fallen in 15 of the last 21 quarters in NZ, according to the NZ Treasury. Check it here. 5 years of recession? It doesn't sound like it has a great deal going for it economically.

Last edited by Leither; Jul 10th 2011 at 9:10 am.
Old Jul 10th 2011, 9:09 am
BE Enthusiast

DC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to behold

UK growth was -0.5% for final quarter of 2010, +0.5% for first quarter of 2011, expected to be 0.1% for second quarter 2011

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/360cf548-a...44feabdc0.html
Old Jul 10th 2011, 9:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Re neighbours. I meant that Britain's neighbours, like Britain itself, are all economically living far beyond their means and, accordingly, stuffed

Hard to say that about Australia or SE Asia
Old Jul 10th 2011, 9:13 am
Forum Regular

Leither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud of

UK growth was -0.5% for final quarter of 2010, +0.5% for first quarter of 2011, expected to be 0.1% for second quarter 2011

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/360cf548-a...44feabdc0.html
But last year's growth was 1.7%. If you're going to be selective, at least pick sensible statistics.

Also, see my previous edited post.
Old Jul 10th 2011, 9:15 am
Forum Regular

turkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Why did you leave NZ? Just an observation

I am leaving NZ, in 8 days to be precise.
One difference I have noticed between Kiwis and Brits is their response when I tell them.

Kiwis usually react positively with comments like 'you'll be going into summer' or 'that sounds great'. Brits usually react negatively with comments like 'Why?!!'

Interesting, I think. The UK response tends to put me on the defensive a bit.
Old Jul 10th 2011, 9:19 am
Forum Regular

Re neighbours. I meant that Britain's neighbours, like Britain itself, are all economically living far beyond their means and, accordingly, stuffed

Hard to say that about Australia or SE Asia
Britain and Europe may have been living beyond their means but to say they are stuffed is nonsense. We've been here before and pulled through it. We will do so again but the question is: will the lesson be learned. Undoubtedly no and we will be in the same position in 20, 25 or 30 years time.

However, don't think it is unique to Europe, Britain, the USA or anywhere else.
Old Jul 10th 2011, 9:20 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by turkeys
One difference I have noticed between Kiwis and Brits is their response when I tell them.

Kiwis usually react positively with comments like 'you'll be going into summer' or 'that sounds great'. Brits usually react negatively with comments like 'Why?!!'

That's because Brits tend to be a bit down on their country in general, helped by the media. We wouldn't be happy if we had nothing to moan about.
Old Jul 10th 2011, 9:32 am
BE Enthusiast

uk gdp growth was 1.5% in 2010, after falling 3% in 2009

total uk output is not expected to reach 2007 levels until 2013

http://www.rbnz.govt.nz/keygraphs/fig2b.html
Old Jul 10th 2011, 9:36 am
Forum Regular

Perhaps you're not aware of how to click on a link that says "here", so here is a link for you:

http://business.scoop.co.nz/2011/04/...treasury-says/
Old Jul 10th 2011, 9:46 am
Forum Regular

Howick has a brilliant futureHowick has a brilliant futureHowick has a brilliant futureHowick has a brilliant futureHowick has a brilliant futureHowick has a brilliant future

....and f*** me, just like the common cold, Lemon Face Leither pops his bitter & twisted head back in to spew forth more misery & doom & gloom.

Leither, open up the curtains of your bedsit. If you can see through the drizzle, you'll remember that you live in Scotland. Scotland, Leither, not China. Scotland.

Pot, kettle?

You may want to direct a little more of your attention to your own backyard, Leither. In the time it took me to type 'Leither is miserable twat', I have discovered that in his own little tinpot economy, Scotland is 'teetering on the brink of a considerable period of stagnation', driven by public spending cutbacks, falling real household incomes, rising energy prices and the spectre of a fragmenting eurozone'.

Yes, Leither, that it a forecast. You may want to now close your bedsit curtains & pretend everything is rosy in your own backyard, while you piously pontificate & lecture us all about the various failings of the NZ economy.
Old Jul 10th 2011, 9:54 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Howick
....and f*** me, just like the common cold, Lemon Face Leither pops his bitter & twisted head back in to spew forth more misery & doom & gloom.

Leither, open up the curtains of your bedsit. If you can see through the drizzle, you'll remember that you live in Scotland. Scotland, Leither, not China. Scotland.

Pot, kettle?

You may want to direct a little more of your attention to your own backyard, Leither. In the time it took me to type 'Leither is miserable twat', I have discovered that in his own little tinpot economy, Scotland is 'teetering on the brink of a considerable period of stagnation', driven by public spending cutbacks, falling real household incomes, rising energy prices and the spectre of a fragmenting eurozone'.

Yes, Leither, that it a forecast. You may want to now close your bedsit curtains & pretend everything is rosy in your own backyard, while you piously pontificate & lecture us all about the various failings of the NZ economy.
A miserable twat?

If you had had a read of what I said, you will find that I was merely pointing out that whilst things may not be too bright here, it was disingenious to keep harping on about how nothing is made here yet "things" are still "made" in NZ

What a tough keyboard warrior you are, you prick.
Old Jul 10th 2011, 12:08 pm
Forum Regular

Debbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by turkeys

'Cause they might choose to take it as criticism of their decision to come to or stay in NZ in the first place. They must be blissfully happy here obviously ! Could it be envy that you're going home ? Emigrating is such an emotional decision and people stay emotional when they get here ! Yes, I'm guilty as charged but it's still an observation. You sounds like you are 'so over' New Zealand. Good luck with the return to Britain. I hardly envy you at all really !
Old Jul 10th 2011, 12:34 pm
Forum Regular

Howick has a brilliant futureHowick has a brilliant futureHowick has a brilliant futureHowick has a brilliant futureHowick has a brilliant futureHowick has a brilliant future

Lemon Face,

Oh, I read what you put together. And you know what? It's pompous tripe. Just like last time.

Actually, you also made comments about the state of the NZ & statistics. There's nothing worse than a person who derives pleasure from running down something, all the while their own backyard ain't too flash. As I said, it's pompous tripe.

And, here's the kicker. Old Lemon Face, himself, comes out with this corker.......We wouldn't be happy if we had nothing to moan about.
Old Jul 10th 2011, 3:16 pm
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Howick, sense of humour failure much?

Get out in the sunshine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.