Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Why are/did you choose NZ vs OZ or anywhere else?

Why are/did you choose NZ vs OZ or anywhere else?

Old Feb 10th 2013, 6:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why are/did you choose NZ vs OZ or anywhere else?

Originally Posted by scottishstacey
Sounds like your going back to a good life! Are you going back to germany or a different country? I had a work colleague from germany, hamburg i think. I think she misses it a lot, always putting things up on facebook about it. Germany looks nice, i honestly dont know why i havent visited yet - its so near!
Yep, back to the good life (for me that is ). I would love to move to the UK! Spent a year in Lancaster and made many visits to the country. But it will probably be Germany. Easier to find a job there for me. Yes, Germany is worth a visit. A weekend trip to Berlin for example should not cost much. Do it before you come to NZ because once you are here you probably will be busy exploring the countries here and if you visit Europe you will be busy seeing your family! I still have so many more places that I would love to see here before I will leave. Won't be able to do that. Have to come back for a visit or two
Old Feb 10th 2013, 6:33 am
BE Enthusiast

scottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Assanah
Yep, back to the good life (for me that is ). I would love to move to the UK! Spent a year in Lancaster and made many visits to the country. But it will probably be Germany. Easier to find a job there for me. Yes, Germany is worth a visit. A weekend trip to Berlin for example should not cost much. Do it before you come to NZ because once you are here you probably will be busy exploring the countries here and if you visit Europe you will be busy seeing your family! I still have so many more places that I would love to see here before I will leave. Won't be able to do that. Have to come back for a visit or two
Im not sure if we will be coming to new zealand, its not a final decision but its looking like its not likely. We shall see!

Theres so many great places in europe to visit, really do have to go and visit france germany and belgium. Daves mum is half belgian and we always said we'd go visit that side of the family with her but its not happened!

So many great places to visit in the world and so little time lol. If you come to the UK for a visit then come to scotland if you havent already. The highlands are lovely and also loch lomond. Theres even loads of scotland that i havent saw lol ive only been as far up as inverness
Old Feb 10th 2013, 7:39 am
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about

Sorry to interrupt but I thoroughly recommend a visit to Nuremburg if your into your history

I was over in Germany when the world cup was on and Nuremburg was by far the best city we visited. Just walking around the areas linked to the regime was really fascinating. Seeing where he made some of his speeches, you could just imagine what it must have been like, seeing such an insipred leader at the stand.

The unfortunate and I mean unfortunate thing about the visit to Nuremburg was seeing some drunk up Leeds and Huddersfield chavs doing the salute but the german police removed them before they got a kicking from very irate English and German supporters.

History in Germany is fantastic, really worth visiting and go with an open mind. Dusseldorf, Dresden and Berlin are also well worth visits. The beer is very good and I found the Germans whilst over for the World Cup were outstanding. Nearly as good as the Japanese and South Koreans in terms of friendliness, openess and quality of beer. Oh my, German wheat beer (Erdinger) - many a headaches from a few too many pints of those after an England match (just to drown the sorrows from watching crap performance after crap performance)
Old Feb 10th 2013, 7:44 am
BE Enthusiast

scottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond repute

Catchafire will be raging at me for taking his thread off topic lol sorry! Daves into his history - i think he would enjoy that. Maybe convince him to take me on a cheap weekend break
Old Feb 10th 2013, 7:45 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sirplug
Applies to us too, just thought, 'why not?'

Been happy here ever since.....
It would appear that those of us who have settled on the Whangaparaoa Peninsula are happy with our lot.

Interesting.
Old Feb 10th 2013, 9:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
It would appear that those of us who have settled on the Whangaparaoa Peninsula are happy with our lot.

Interesting.
That doesnt sound very easy to pronounce lol especially after a few too drinks
Old Feb 10th 2013, 9:06 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

It's actually quite easy when you know how . Gets easier with a few drinks actually
Old Feb 10th 2013, 1:17 pm

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

Catchafire will be raging at me for taking his thread off topic lol sorry! Daves into his history - i think he would enjoy that. Maybe convince him to take me on a cheap weekend break
You thread hijacker you!
Old Feb 10th 2013, 1:19 pm

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

It's actually quite easy when you know how . Gets easier with a few drinks actually
Whakapapa get easier and funnier as well.
Old Feb 10th 2013, 2:28 pm
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting.
I would say the same for us lot down in Christchurch too. People seem happy here - expats and locals
Old Feb 10th 2013, 2:35 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch
I would say the same for us lot down in Christchurch too. People seem happy here - expats and locals
Same with Wangas apart from its reputation! Well my friends are happy here, but there is always someone who isint happy no matter where they are living

Friends that I know in Hawkes bay are also happy with they're lot
Old Feb 10th 2013, 9:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Catchafire
You thread hijacker you!
Im sorry!
Old Feb 10th 2013, 10:06 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Saying is easier than spelling
Old Feb 11th 2013, 12:32 am
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tom1983
I rejected South Africa a few years before and didn't want to reject another opportunity to live and work abroad.
This.

Although it was Hong Kong and I had to reject the offer on the basis it was a choice between my relationship with my now wife, or the job.

I made the right choice. I think ...

Mind you, I realise that Hong Kong and NZ are very different places!!!
Old Feb 11th 2013, 5:10 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Most of you regulars probably know my story, but here goes:

Went to South America 2006, met a Kiwi, liked each other a lot, we both returned to our own countries, visited NZ 3m later, then met up in various countries round the World, decided it was easier for me to move and get work than for him, applied for residency [SMC, not possible under partnership obviously], moved here 2008, moved to Chch and bought a house together, married 2012.

Sometimes, just sometimes holiday relationships work

I had never considered living abroad before then. As a result I would be happy to return and live in the UK. I did not leave the UK because I wanted out, I left to try somewhere [and someone!] new. I also didn't want to turn into an elderly spinster always wondering what that Kiwi was doing and kicking myself for not being brave enough to go for it

By the way, we are in America for two years. He was offered a job too good to refuse. It was never somewhere I wanted to live and I am finding it difficult. It has also not worked out as planned for him. Both of us would return to NZ immediately if we got the chance Having left has made me realise just how much NZ and Chch has become home.
Funny when I look at how people moan about NZ misselling itself to potential immigrants, you should try here. The American Dream-don't make me laugh!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.