Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Why are/did you choose NZ vs OZ or anywhere else?

Why are/did you choose NZ vs OZ or anywhere else?

Old Feb 7th 2013, 9:17 pm

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute
Default Why are/did you choose NZ vs OZ or anywhere else?

In light of some recent postings, I was wondering what was the pull of New Zealand to make you want to come and live here in the first place?

Did anything make NZ stand out, vs Australia or Europe for example?

How does your life here measured up against those expectations?
Old Feb 7th 2013, 9:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why are/did you choose NZ vs OZ or anywhere else?

Originally Posted by Catchafire
In light of some recent postings, I was wondering what was the pull of New Zealand to make you want to come and live here in the first place?

How does your life here measured up against those expectations?
Low population and the exchange rate at the time meant we would be relatively well off in NZ where by contrast in the UK (such were house prices) that all one's assets were tied up in four walls. Coming to NZ meant being mortgage free and having money in the bank which was nice, that money then went to a finance company which fell over, which left us all but skint in cash in hand terms. One door opens and another slams in your face!

Also I was suitably pissed off with overcrowded UK and my career that almost anywhere would have been good. A job offer in the nursing times found us Palmerston North and 8 years down the line Kate has a great career, the kids are quite happy it is just me who maybe needs a change!

I don't think I am going to get the latter (the majority ruling etc) so I am going to ring the wood turners guild and get into wood!

Had previously been to both NZ and Oz and I felt that for a number of reasons (heat and size being two main ones) that NZ was a better place to be.
Old Feb 7th 2013, 10:55 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

husband had for years wanted to leave the UK as hated the over crowding and social problems, . He travelled pass the aftermath of the Croydon riots daily for work and that just made up his mind, he also believed he suffered from SADs so needed somewhere that had more sun time.
We had started process to Oz as have family over there but after getting an agent, spending out some money, husband spending mths on a dissertation, he's degree is not in the field he works in, after reading Government plans for a black list for internet usage he one day just said he couldn't work and live in a country with a Government so backwards and dictatorial (plse don't ask me the in's and out's as not that up on the whole thing just knew it made him pull out).
We didn't look into moving for a year, even went on a wallet busting family holiday to Florida to do the Disney thing in June 2011, and husband handed in his notice at work and started looking for work in UK. He got chatting to a guy that lived in NZ on FB, a friend of a sort of friend, who offered to put him up if he ever wanted to come over. Work offers were slow as notice period was 3mths and jobs wanted someone to start asap, he decided to take the holiday he had left from existing job and take that time out to come over to have a look round. 2 days before he left he had 2 offers on the table and told them he had holiday booked so couldn't start for a month.
He came over here to stay with FB friends family and basically didn't come back.
Old Feb 7th 2013, 11:25 pm
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Visited NZ (south island) as part of a round the world trip. Unexpectedly fell in love with the place but couldn't stay long term as we didn't have the correct visas to work and had already booked non refundable tickets back to the UK. After working and saving we returned one year later after living in London. We were both offered great job opportunities in Christchurch, a lot more than the UK in our professions. The space, the lifestyle, the outdoor activities and the weather also pulled us back. And the prospect of being able to afford our own house, which would have been difficult (if not impossible) back in the UK as first time buyers.

OZ was never really thought of since I've never visited. Although I have enjoyed visiting other countries I couldn't envisage myself living there e.g. Canada. Great place but couldn't do winter there.

So far we are both getting on very well and, if anything, NZ has exceeded expectations for us. After being away for one year I almost forgot just how beautiful it is
Old Feb 8th 2013, 12:43 am
BE Enthusiast

lisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond repute

I came purely for work. I'm a midwife and working for the NHS is pretty horrific, you go in every day just hoping you have enough time to actually learn the name of the women your looking after, get at least enough time for a glass of water during your 13hr shift (forget about breaks or actual food) and that you manage to finish your shift without killing someone.That and, despite all the media crap about a midwifery shortage there totally isn't, there is a money shortage and so finding a full time job is like gold dust.

So I knew a couple of midwives over here, knew the system was flawed but way better than the UK one and that my job prospects were way higher here so I got a job, got a visa and came over. Came on my own, wasn't the original plan but my then partner decided at the last minute he didn't want to come and I decided I didn't really want him to either and came over anyway!

I'm a city girl so didn't come for the scenery or the outdoorsy lifestyle. I gave up owning property in the UK knowing that it would be highly unlikely I'd be able to afford to buy in Auckland for a long time at least, if ever, despite earning a much higher wage here.

Life here is pretty much as expected, work still needs to get done, bills get paid, laundry get washed etc. I've moved about a bit both location and jobs since I got here but I'm pretty settled now, wish I'd came straight to Auckland instead of trying out small town life in Rotorua but you live and learn.
I never expected life here to be much different to life in the UK really, other than work wise, so its pretty much met those expectations.
Old Feb 8th 2013, 12:46 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't choose NZ. My husband is a kiwi and re-locating from Britain was the acceptable face of his mid life crisis ! We were both fed up with our jobs and wanted to move house.

His mother and sister live in Auckland. His sister is married with children, my husband would like to get to know his nephew, aged 13 and nieces, twins age 7 while they are still children. His mother isn't getting any younger either.

Didn't and still don't want to live in Australia. To hot. Have visited there on holiday in 2002 - Sydney, Cairns and Ayer's Rock. Very nice but Aus will only be a holiday destination. My husband has a kiwi's aversion to Australians as well !

The only international move I would be interested in would be to return to Britain - have you seen the exchange rate ? $1 = .539 pence woo hoo ! What's the likelihood of it being that should we return in a few years time ? I couldn't be that lucky. That's the highest it's been since we turned up nearly 2 years ago.
Old Feb 8th 2013, 1:05 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisamct
Life here is pretty much as expected, work still needs to get done, bills get paid, laundry get washed etc.
I never expected life here to be much different to life in the UK really, other than work wise, so its pretty much met those expectations.
+1 Agree. Personally, when it comes to NZ I fail to see what all the excitement is about. I probably have more, 'history' with NZ than most expatriates which I think explains quite a lot.

I think the assumption that I'm as starry eyed about NZ as expats who come to NZ with a job offer already is what upsets me. Without wishing to sound like the 'pub bore' - we did it the hard way.

The majority of British expats do not have in-laws in NZ and all the soap opera that's involved because of that.
Old Feb 8th 2013, 3:07 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Catchafire
I think the choice for many is obvious when it come to Aus/NZ vs Europe. The language factor alone would put most people off and gaining employment for many would be extremely hard with no language fluency.

And would you be better off in Europe? In general higher taxes and lower salaries than the UK.
Old Feb 8th 2013, 8:19 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snap Shot
+1 Agree. Personally, when it comes to NZ I fail to see what all the excitement is about. I probably have more, 'history' with NZ than most expatriates which I think explains quite a lot.

I think the assumption that I'm as starry eyed about NZ as expats who come to NZ with a job offer already is what upsets me. Without wishing to sound like the 'pub bore' - we did it the hard way.

The majority of British expats do not have in-laws in NZ and all the soap opera that's involved because of that.
Lighten up, I expect most readers of this are a bit puzzled and perhaps aren't just sat anywhere busy making any assumptions about your life - but you are making quite a lot about everyone else, I know you aren't alone in doing it "the hard way", most will have found "a hard way", not sure there is an easy way!

Have a drink and chill a bit....
Old Feb 8th 2013, 9:00 am
Forum Regular

Larryloo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lisamct
I came purely for work. I'm a midwife and working for the NHS is pretty horrific, you go in every day just hoping you have enough time to actually learn the name of the women your looking after, get at least enough time for a glass of water during your 13hr shift (forget about breaks or actual food) and that you manage to finish your shift without killing someone.That and, despite all the media crap about a midwifery shortage there totally isn't, there is a money shortage and so finding a full time job is like gold dust.

So I knew a couple of midwives over here, knew the system was flawed but way better than the UK one and that my job prospects were way higher here so I got a job, got a visa and came over. Came on my own, wasn't the original plan but my then partner decided at the last minute he didn't want to come and I decided I didn't really want him to either and came over anyway!

I'm a city girl so didn't come for the scenery or the outdoorsy lifestyle. I gave up owning property in the UK knowing that it would be highly unlikely I'd be able to afford to buy in Auckland for a long time at least, if ever, despite earning a much higher wage here.

Life here is pretty much as expected, work still needs to get done, bills get paid, laundry get washed etc. I've moved about a bit both location and jobs since I got here but I'm pretty settled now, wish I'd came straight to Auckland instead of trying out small town life in Rotorua but you live and learn.
Hi. I came across this response by accident. We are looking at relocating to ChCh for my husbands career and a change in circumstances. I have been harbouring a desire to train as a midwife and so am wondering if this desire could be realised in NZ? I am not a registered nurse and if I were to study in the UK I would do the Straight midwifery qualification rather than the nurse route first. Do you know if the midwifery qualification is available in NZ as a standalone option?

Thanks. X
Old Feb 8th 2013, 9:09 am
BE Enthusiast

scottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond repute

Europe isn't a option for us. Australia was the first place I wanted to go, wanted for a long time. It wasn't a option for us to live there and when I think about it I'm really not sure I could cope with the extreme temps in summer, tasmania would me more my thing! Definitely going to go on holiday there at some point, got family in Melbourne.

At the risk of sounding like a crazy lady who can't pick countries for us at the moment we are choosing between New Zealand and Canada. It wasn't my idea to look at Canada at first although I had always wanted to visit. I just hadnt really thought about the possibility of living there. I probably had the stereotype of it being freezing all the time.

The disadvantages for us is the winter. The advantages are much closer to UK, can go to America for weekends, all inclusive deals to Caribbean etc. Cost of living cheaper than nz, similar to UK. Wages are better. Houses warm and toasty for obvious reasons! Few other things too.

New Zealand advantages - beautiful places, beaches everywhere, weather, no dangerous wildlife! Disadvantages - cost of living vs wages, houses can be cold,I think I would feel isolated

Fantastic rambling now but it made me feel better!

The point of my post is that New Zealand isn't our dream, it's just another country that we'd like to try with good points and bad point. Definitely would like to live there for a few years, it looks a great place to raise family. I just don't know if it'll be right now.

For the rest of you was it always a dream or just a opportunity that came up??
Old Feb 8th 2013, 9:33 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scottishstacey
For the rest of you was it always a dream or just a opportunity that came up??
Opportunity
Old Feb 8th 2013, 9:37 am
BE Enthusiast

scottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond repute

Sometimes thats the best way - then you dont have as many expectations
Old Feb 8th 2013, 7:44 pm

Circumstances rather than opportunity. Certainly no dream. Nothing more than, 'go on then, how bad can it be ?' In fact I already knew what it was like it has been nothing more than, 'as expected'. Well now we're on an even keel - sort of.

Anyway about that drink. It better be tea at this hour i.e. 9.45am ! Save the booze for this evening.
Old Feb 8th 2013, 9:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

OH's next job posting choice was sth like Iran or NZ....no brainer really

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.