Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Why are/did you choose NZ vs OZ or anywhere else?

Why are/did you choose NZ vs OZ or anywhere else?

Old Feb 11th 2013, 6:44 am
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why are/did you choose NZ vs OZ or anywhere else?

I haven't heard your story before.

That's awesome, except for the States not being a place your liking just now.

Still, hopefully those two years makes the long term worth it
Old Feb 11th 2013, 6:46 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Persephone, thanks for posting. I wondered where you had relocated to - America it would seem. To think we came within a whisker of meeting when we both lived in Chch. The one thing that comes across loud and clear in the America or MBTUK forums on BE is the level of dissatisfaction (of people who are dissatisfied) of people who live in America. Time and time again people have a problem with no public health care, lack of gun control the list goes on and on.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 8:22 am

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

My wife and I had been travelling around the world for a few years, we had previously had a big trip through Australia and apart from the far S.W. around Albany/Esperance, nothing really stood out as "I would want to live here".

When we arrived in New Zealand, our money was running out, so the choice was get a job or head back to Europe (Sweden or UK). Four weeks later I had a work permit. Our first two years were in Auckland and they were a struggle in many ways. The turning point came when we got residency and moved to Marlborough, it was much more in line with our picture of NZ.

I know many people struggle with various aspects of living in this country, I try to avoid making comparisons to the UK, or put blame on the realities of living here. It is tough for us at the moment, my main business took a couple of knocks last year and at times it has been a real struggle. Luckily the wine label is starting to gain traction (we just had a fantastic weekend as part of the Marlborough Wine Festival), we have been able to gain some income through a tourist venture and my wife is now working with horses part time at a organic vineyard (she is complete bonkers for horses, so this is the perfect job).

Nothing validates our choice to be here more than our children, both were born here in Marlborough, both Melisa and I know that being able to raise them in this environment has allowed us to spend as much time with them as possible, with out having to use day care facilities, I work from home so if I am having a bad day there is always small arms to give me a big hug.

It is a completely different way of life living here.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 8:29 am

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

The perfect wine glass.....

Old Feb 11th 2013, 8:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scottishstacey
Im not sure if we will be coming to new zealand, its not a final decision but its looking like its not likely. We shall see!

Theres so many great places in europe to visit, really do have to go and visit france germany and belgium. Daves mum is half belgian and we always said we'd go visit that side of the family with her but its not happened!

So many great places to visit in the world and so little time lol. If you come to the UK for a visit then come to scotland if you havent already. The highlands are lovely and also loch lomond. Theres even loads of scotland that i havent saw lol ive only been as far up as inverness
Oh, I have been there! Stunning. I really loved Edinburgh and the castles, the mountains, and lakes. Awesome. Even the weather was great

I am looking forward to visit Scotland again. Haven't been to Inverness! I also would love to visit Wales soon!

I also want to travel from Southern Germany through Austria down to Croatia! Haha, never had a lack of plans!

Anyhow, all the best with your decisions! I hope you will find the one that is good for you.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 8:31 am
BE Enthusiast

scottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond repute

Mmm, i could be doing with a massive glass of tine right now.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 8:33 am
BE Enthusiast

scottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Assanah
Oh, I have been there! Stunning. I really loved Edinburgh and the castles, the mountains, and lakes. Awesome. Even the weather was great

I am looking for to visit Scotland again. Haven't been to Inverness! I also would love to visit Wales soon!

I also want to travel from Southern Germany through Austria down to Croatia! Haha, never had a lack of plans!

Anyhow, all the best with your decisions! I hope you will find the one that is good for you.
I love edinburgh too - my fave place in scotland! Inverness is quite nice too, you should go to the cairngorms aswell - esp nice in winter. Those are three countries i'd like to visit. I had been planning on doing a bit of interrailing this year if i can - fancy coming with me!? Lol
Old Feb 11th 2013, 8:38 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Catchafire
Sod the glass just give me the bottle!
Old Feb 11th 2013, 8:40 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Persephone
By the way, we are in America for two years. He was offered a job too good to refuse. It was never somewhere I wanted to live and I am finding it difficult. It has also not worked out as planned for him. Both of us would return to NZ immediately if we got the chance Having left has made me realise just how much NZ and Chch has become home.
Funny when I look at how people moan about NZ misselling itself to potential immigrants, you should try here. The American Dream-don't make me laugh!
I'm so sorry to hear this chuck. Kia kaha & only 21 months to go! Where are you "In the land of the free"?
Old Feb 11th 2013, 8:44 am
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Persephone
Most of you regulars probably know my story, but here goes:

Went to South America 2006, met a Kiwi, liked each other a lot, we both returned to our own countries, visited NZ 3m later, then met up in various countries round the World, decided it was easier for me to move and get work than for him, applied for residency [SMC, not possible under partnership obviously], moved here 2008, moved to Chch and bought a house together, married 2012.

Sometimes, just sometimes holiday relationships work

I had never considered living abroad before then. As a result I would be happy to return and live in the UK. I did not leave the UK because I wanted out, I left to try somewhere [and someone!] new. I also didn't want to turn into an elderly spinster always wondering what that Kiwi was doing and kicking myself for not being brave enough to go for it

By the way, we are in America for two years. He was offered a job too good to refuse. It was never somewhere I wanted to live and I am finding it difficult. It has also not worked out as planned for him. Both of us would return to NZ immediately if we got the chance Having left has made me realise just how much NZ and Chch has become home.
Funny when I look at how people moan about NZ misselling itself to potential immigrants, you should try here. The American Dream-don't make me laugh!
You sound like my cousin! She lives in New Orleans although has lived there for the past 15 years, where in the States are you based?

Hows he feeling with only getting 2 weeks holiday?
Old Feb 11th 2013, 11:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

I hope things improve for you soon Persephone x
Old Feb 12th 2013, 3:48 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snap Shot
Persephone, thanks for posting. I wondered where you had relocated to - America it would seem. To think we came within a whisker of meeting when we both lived in Chch. The one thing that comes across loud and clear in the America or MBTUK forums on BE is the level of dissatisfaction (of people who are dissatisfied) of people who live in America. Time and time again people have a problem with no public health care, lack of gun control the list goes on and on.
Thanks for that! There are many things I dislike about being here. Some are personal and affect me directly-I can only work in my profession if I register and that means a lengthy and very expensive set of exams, only worth it if I can definitely get work. I can work on the visa I'm on but need authorisation from the embassy which again is a long process. So all in all it's not worth it for two years. I am looking forward to returning to the UK to do some locum work to keep my skills up. Not working doesn't suit me!!

Some of the other issues relate to where I am in the US -it is the middle of nowhere and best described as having all the atmosphere and appearance of a large UK motorway services [I am serious] The only reason you can't hear the banjos strumming is because there's a busy motorway here.... No public transport and everyone drives everywhere, walking anywhere is seen as odd and bizarre behaviour, food is of lower quality and costs the same as NZ, the amount of waste produced is phenomenal-cashiers cannot cope with being told to put more than 3 items in one carrier bag, the general incompetence-not one thing has been done correctly first time...

Others are more general eg the excessive amount of bureaucracy to get anything done, tipping, over the top patriotism, rushed restaurant service [USA is not better IMO], gun control or lack of, foreign policy, lack of healthcare, the effect religion has on education and healthcare...
I'll stop there as I could write pages on this

Some of these affect me more than others but they all add up to a country that's just not for me. Some people will love it here, some won't.

One thing it has taught me is that if you're having major and real doubts [ and not just pre emigration nerves!] about moving somewhere then don't think it will get better once there. Was hard for me, I feel he would resent it if I'd said no even though that was my immediate reaction-compromise is that I work in the UK or NZ at some point and he pays for everything!

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
I'm so sorry to hear this chuck. Kia kaha & only 21 months to go! Where are you "In the land of the free"?
See above-banjo country!

Originally Posted by Tom1983
You sound like my cousin! She lives in New Orleans although has lived there for the past 15 years, where in the States are you based?

Hows he feeling with only getting 2 weeks holiday?
He is still employed in NZ so gets paid in NZ$ and gets his holidays as usual. No way would we have come here without decent leave. The only reason to be here is to travel [for me anyway!] Already had around three and a half weeks away, driven about 4,500 miles and got a long weekend coming up. Planning another 3 weeks away in April.. So some things are good here

Last edited by Persephone; Feb 12th 2013 at 3:51 am.
Old Feb 12th 2013, 6:11 pm
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by love30stm
Well my friends are happy here, but there is always someone who isint happy no matter where they are living

Friends that I know in Hawkes bay are also happy with they're lot
Yes, it is rather refreshing I must say and a far cry from a lot of the posts on here
Old Feb 13th 2013, 9:11 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by love30stm
Same with Wangas apart from its reputation! Well my friends are happy here, but there is always someone who isint happy no matter where they are living

Friends that I know in Hawkes bay are also happy with they're lot
Originally Posted by Pom_Chch
Yes, it is rather refreshing I must say and a far cry from a lot of the posts on here
You two should get a room together.
Old Feb 13th 2013, 12:04 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BEVS
You two should get a room together.
Oh cant we be happy then? So sorry

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.