Where to live?

Old Feb 24th 2009, 1:21 pm
Forum Regular

IKlapwijk is just really niceIKlapwijk is just really niceIKlapwijk is just really niceIKlapwijk is just really niceIKlapwijk is just really niceIKlapwijk is just really niceIKlapwijk is just really niceIKlapwijk is just really niceIKlapwijk is just really nice
Default Re: Where to live?

Originally Posted by Tuan Tim
I think the answer is self-evident. Brits recognise NZ as being more like home in attitude. So this may result in a desire to embrace NZ culture more than OZ.
I met a Canadain cyclist who had flown all the way to NZ because it was 'like home.' I thought that a bit daft.
Ok.... So have you been to both countries and would you like to move to either of them to live?
Old Feb 24th 2009, 9:31 pm
Just Joined

Tuan Tim is an unknown quantity at this point

I am 59 and fighting demons to work out where to retire to. I have a NZ passport so I could live in either.
But they are both too far from other places I like. If I had to choose I would always go for NZ. There is more variety. But have they let too many into the secret garden?
At the moment I am looking at: Thailand, Cyprus, Malta and Shangri La.
Old Feb 24th 2009, 9:49 pm
Forum Regular

IKlapwijk is just really niceIKlapwijk is just really niceIKlapwijk is just really niceIKlapwijk is just really niceIKlapwijk is just really niceIKlapwijk is just really niceIKlapwijk is just really niceIKlapwijk is just really niceIKlapwijk is just really nice

Originally Posted by Tuan Tim
I am 59 and fighting demons to work out where to retire to. I have a NZ passport so I could live in either.
But they are both too far from other places I like. If I had to choose I would always go for NZ. There is more variety. But have they let too many into the secret garden?
At the moment I am looking at: Thailand, Cyprus, Malta and Shangri La.
WoW! You are certainly brave! I am just toying with either of the two countries and doing it with my work. Have thought about Canada but need to take an exam and the visa process is alot longer than NZ.

Cannot comment on whether to many people have been let into NZ?
Maybe others on the forum can give some comments?

Cheers!
Isabelle
Old Feb 26th 2009, 2:21 am
Forum Regular

OzzieGunner is just really niceOzzieGunner is just really niceOzzieGunner is just really niceOzzieGunner is just really niceOzzieGunner is just really niceOzzieGunner is just really niceOzzieGunner is just really niceOzzieGunner is just really niceOzzieGunner is just really nice

[QUOTE=IKlapwijk;7307625]
Originally Posted by lapsed kiwi
I really don't know what to say now!!!

suffice to state that the whole of Cambridge here must have heard me scream in horror at those pictures!

Seriously aren't you all scared out there of being bitten by snakes or spiders? I really need to chill out now with a wine!

Isabelle

Yes make a decision about the rest of your life on a picture of a spider god knows where in Australia. Dont worry about employment opportunities, education, the GDP of the country and the services it offers and its great climate. Much better to be unemployed or on low income, in a country with little in the way of wealth creation apart from milking cows. Just on the off chance you might one day accidentally see a spider thats probably not dangerous in any shape or form. I dont know anyone who likes spiders , snakes, crocodiles or sharks but plenty manage to live in Australia without ever bumping into them.
Old Feb 26th 2009, 10:10 am
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=OzzieGunner;7323851]
Originally Posted by IKlapwijk

Yes make a decision about the rest of your life on a picture of a spider god knows where in Australia. Dont worry about employment opportunities, education, the GDP of the country and the services it offers and its great climate. Much better to be unemployed or on low income, in a country with little in the way of wealth creation apart from milking cows. Just on the off chance you might one day accidentally see a spider thats probably not dangerous in any shape or form. I dont know anyone who likes spiders , snakes, crocodiles or sharks but plenty manage to live in Australia without ever bumping into them.
Point taken OzzieGunner, maybe one is being blinkered.

Alot of people do manage to live in Australia without ever running into the wildlife and enjoy the heat. Each to their own.

Isabelle
Old Feb 28th 2009, 10:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond repute

I wish you huge luck with your decision . But, and I apologise for possibly seeming to be a bit negative, can I suggest that you go to the different countries emigration sites and check out what they want from you. I am no emigration expert, but for a skilled residents visa in Australia I believe that you have to be under the age of 45 at the time of application . If I've got that wrong then I apologise and I'm sure that someone will be along to correct me. For NZ the age requirement for the Permanent Residence visa as a skilled migrant is 55 . I don't know about the USA or Canada. Of course there are different categories of visa which may well have different age limits, you'll need to sift through them and work out which best applies to you. Also, your children are now classified as adults, if they wanted to emigrate with you they would probably not be able to apply on your visa application as dependents, but would need to make their own applications

That is absolutely not saying don't go for it, but you may well have to do a bit more homework as well as checking out the snakes, spiders and climates .

I'm an ex UK nurse now living and working in NZ and I love it, so incidentally do my hubby & teenage children. It was a tough journey to get here, and life isn't a bed of roses over here......but it's good

Good luck with the process
Old Mar 1st 2009, 4:50 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Tomsk
I wish you huge luck with your decision . But, and I apologise for possibly seeming to be a bit negative, can I suggest that you go to the different countries emigration sites and check out what they want from you. I am no emigration expert, but for a skilled residents visa in Australia I believe that you have to be under the age of 45 at the time of application . If I've got that wrong then I apologise and I'm sure that someone will be along to correct me. For NZ the age requirement for the Permanent Residence visa as a skilled migrant is 55 . I don't know about the USA or Canada. Of course there are different categories of visa which may well have different age limits, you'll need to sift through them and work out which best applies to you. Also, your children are now classified as adults, if they wanted to emigrate with you they would probably not be able to apply on your visa application as dependents, but would need to make their own applications

That is absolutely not saying don't go for it, but you may well have to do a bit more homework as well as checking out the snakes, spiders and climates .

I'm an ex UK nurse now living and working in NZ and I love it, so incidentally do my hubby & teenage children. It was a tough journey to get here, and life isn't a bed of roses over here......but it's good

Good luck with the process
thanks for the reply and no you were not being negative. I welcome all comments as they will all be very thought provoking. I understand at this stage that my children can come on my family visa as they are still in the education system and are not financially independent. could be wrong!

Can I ask where abouts in NZ you are working and living? I presume you are a nurse in NZ?

Cheers!

Isabelle