Where to live?

Old Feb 18th 2009, 7:00 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to live?

Originally Posted by IKlapwijk
I don't understand if the wages are lower in NZ, how people say it is more expensive to live other there than here?
I have to fess up that I haven't lived in Oz, so I can't help you compare, but I am assuming that on a NZ wage it is expensive to live in NZ. I went out at Christmas and because I was spending my UK salary everything seemed ridiculously cheap.
Old Feb 18th 2009, 7:01 pm
Forum Regular

IKlapwijk is just really niceIKlapwijk is just really niceIKlapwijk is just really niceIKlapwijk is just really niceIKlapwijk is just really niceIKlapwijk is just really niceIKlapwijk is just really niceIKlapwijk is just really niceIKlapwijk is just really nice

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
the cost of living is higher in NZ.
So how do people live on a lower salary but high cost of living?!!

Not everything can be more expensive can it?
Old Feb 18th 2009, 7:29 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure how to answer your question. it is what it is. IMO, living standards are lower in NZ, but...but but but, that's only important to some people. I havent' lived there for years so I can't give deets about what's cheaper and what isn't, but it really struck me when i was there 3 years ago, that living standards are in general lower. On the flipside, damn, the food is GOOOOOOD. but y'know. it's an isolated country in the south pacific which has to import a lot of hard goods...so that's going to add costs right there.

You should do a search, I know this topic has come up before.
Old Feb 18th 2009, 7:40 pm
Forum Regular

IKlapwijk is just really niceIKlapwijk is just really niceIKlapwijk is just really niceIKlapwijk is just really niceIKlapwijk is just really niceIKlapwijk is just really niceIKlapwijk is just really niceIKlapwijk is just really niceIKlapwijk is just really nice

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
I'm not sure how to answer your question. it is what it is. IMO, living standards are lower in NZ, but...but but but, that's only important to some people. I havent' lived there for years so I can't give deets about what's cheaper and what isn't, but it really struck me when i was there 3 years ago, that living standards are in general lower. On the flipside, damn, the food is GOOOOOOD. but y'know. it's an isolated country in the south pacific which has to import a lot of hard goods...so that's going to add costs right there.

You should do a search, I know this topic has come up before.
Yes will do more research, especially if you say living standards are lower out there. Maybe thats why alot of Brits plunge for OZ? I lived in Italy for a while about eight years ago and apart from the obvious language barrier - standards were not so different. If anything it could be said italy was ahead in some respects.
Can I ask quickly how NZ does have a lower Standard of Living - the more obvious differences? Sorry to go on about this!

Thanks
Old Feb 18th 2009, 9:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Well, for a lot of people, they find their salary only provides for the basics, and not the jetsetting 'Ryanair' lifestyle they had in the UK.

That of course depends on your skills and occupation.

Also, it assumes you can get a job at all in the current market.

However, I would seriously advise anyone to research all factors before coming to live in NZ.

What do you think is going to be better for you?

If I could get back to Europe, I surely would for one.
Old Feb 18th 2009, 9:30 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Browner_
Well, for a lot of people, they find their salary only provides for the basics, and not the jetsetting 'Ryanair' lifestyle they had in the UK.

That of course depends on your skills and occupation.

Also, it assumes you can get a job at all in the current market.

However, I would seriously advise anyone to research all factors before coming to live in NZ.

What do you think is going to be better for you?

If I could get back to Europe, I surely would for one.
OK...I have looked in my nursing magazines and contacted nursing agencies and hear jobs are stikk easy to find out in Oz and NZ. I am a staff nurse with alot of experience.

Yes have said that still have more research to do before venturing out anywhere!

Resasons for moving? Have become fed up of working in the health service here, plus want a change overall with lifestyle. Want to live and not to work to live as you say. Lived in Italy for a while years ago and after returning back have never really settled back properly.

I take it you are in NZ? You don't like it there?
Old Feb 19th 2009, 11:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Resasons for moving? Have become fed up of working in the health service here, plus want a change overall with lifestyle. Want to live and not to work to live as you say. Lived in Italy for a while years ago and after returning back have never really settled back properly.

I take it you are in NZ? You don't like it there?
Yes , I am in NZ.

Overall, no I dont like it. Too remote, too backwards in attitudes and culture, financially difficult, difficult to find rewarding work, and desolate youth culture and crime.

I also know some senior nurses here who are somewhat less than enamoured with the health administration and working conditions in NZ.

So as I said, make sure you are clear on what you want to be better in NZ , and do your best to ensure it IS before you commit.
Old Feb 19th 2009, 11:57 pm
Forum Regular

OzzieGunner is just really niceOzzieGunner is just really niceOzzieGunner is just really niceOzzieGunner is just really niceOzzieGunner is just really niceOzzieGunner is just really niceOzzieGunner is just really niceOzzieGunner is just really niceOzzieGunner is just really nice

Originally from London I lived in Auckland for 7 years and travelled extensively throughout NZ and now Melbourne for 9.

NZ is generally very quiet and a bit behind the times. If the world was Disneyland, NZ would be a coconut shy. Kind of comforting but just not very entertaining. However it does have its strong points, scenery, less traffic etc. Personally there is only so much scenery can do for me.

Australian (cities) have better weather and are generally more exciting with better entertainment, shopping, events and restaurants (except Adelaide). Salaries are higher and so is the standard of living but bigger cities mean more traffic and rat race. For instance Melbourne has 3.8 million residents if it was in the UK it would be the second largest city. If you want to get away from the city generally a 45 minute drive will get you into some great national parks (Dandenong ranges in Melbourne, Blue Mountains in Sydney etc)

Record numbers of New Zealanders are relocating to Australia
Old Feb 20th 2009, 3:25 am
BE Enthusiast

janek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to behold

"I afraid the States doesn't really appeal to me though."

But that's where there is good money to made in nursing.

I have lived in Australia on two occasions [not nursing] and found it to have a lot in common with the USA - with less people. Just the general influences into the country, it seems very influenced by the USA, nice and loud the Australians too

If you are after good money you would be better off in USA/Australia, I liked it when I have earned plenty of $$$ too but unfortunately I have always found it would be eaten up with higher bills/taxes. Council tax in the UK - what a bad joke!, never in my life have I witnessed such bad value for money. Real estate - another unfunny one. Public transport - how much is thaaaaat ticket??
Food shopping I find less expensive here, but if you have to rely on convenience foods you will be in trouble.

Last edited by janek; Feb 20th 2009 at 3:34 am.
Old Feb 20th 2009, 5:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Browner_
Yes , I am in NZ.

Overall, no I dont like it. Too remote, too backwards in attitudes and culture, financially difficult, difficult to find rewarding work, and desolate youth culture and crime.

I also know some senior nurses here who are somewhat less than enamoured with the health administration and working conditions in NZ.

So as I said, make sure you are clear on what you want to be better in NZ , and do your best to ensure it IS before you commit.

Kates a nurse and after 3 years she has found the job of her dreams. Management..just like the world over is not quite hitting the mark in her hospital (one is being tactful) , but the hospital care wise is top quality..her main concern in NZ is POOR primary care. We have been here and had it all from Drs appt to a potentially life threaten 999 call and much in betwixt..we are very very impressed with NZ health care..would not swap it for UK health care..and we are NOT private. We chose NZ over Oz for many a reason and we are very very content here. I spent a few months in Oz many years back but would not live there full time for many a reason. Strangely some of the reasons Browner hates NZ are the reasons I love it..its odd, backward, quirky, full of eccentrics and well away from main stream western culture in many ways..alas very much like it in negative ways such as crime drugs and violence. NZ is not perfect waaaaaaaay far from it infact..BUT if you are lucky enough to find a friendly town and a quiet back water of a neighbourhood to live its as near perfect as mundain everyday mum and dad life can be..we love it so much here..never been so content in 50 years of life. Our 3 X under 8 kids love it too and are all doing really well here. Its not nirvana but we are hugely better off in every respect of our lives than we would be had we stayed in the UK.
Old Feb 20th 2009, 5:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Genesis
Kates a nurse and after 3 years she has found the job of her dreams. Management..just like the world over is not quite hitting the mark in her hospital (one is being tactful) , but the hospital care wise is top quality..her main concern in NZ is POOR primary care. We have been here and had it all from Drs appt to a potentially life threaten 999 call and much in betwixt..we are very very impressed with NZ health care..would not swap it for UK health care..and we are NOT private. We chose NZ over Oz for many a reason and we are very very content here. I spent a few months in Oz many years back but would not live there full time for many a reason. Strangely some of the reasons Browner hates NZ are the reasons I love it..its odd, backward, quirky, full of eccentrics and well away from main stream western culture in many ways..alas very much like it in negative ways such as crime drugs and violence. NZ is not perfect waaaaaaaay far from it infact..BUT if you are lucky enough to find a friendly town and a quiet back water of a neighbourhood to live its as near perfect as mundain everyday mum and dad life can be..we love it so much here..never been so content in 50 years of life. Our 3 X under 8 kids love it too and are all doing really well here. Its not nirvana but we are hugely better off in every respect of our lives than we would be had we stayed in the UK.
Many thanks for your answers everybody!!

Am a tad confused now as I suppose in some ways it is personal choice at the end of the day, but my gut feeling is that NZ is a bit behind the times and nurses seem to be hopping from one country to the next. Yes I suppose I want the lovely laid back life that NZ offers, the pay that Australia offers but minus the wildlife!! I cannot stand snakes and spiders!!.

However with my age being 50yrs but having a wealth of experience in the good old NHS I have ruled out the U.S on the point that nobody with really employ me!!

Cheers for all the points! It does really help. However, I want to have a move from here and work in another health system. I really would love to live again away from the UK, but now WHERE!!?

Isabelle
Old Feb 20th 2009, 7:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=IKlapwijk;7305620]Many thanks for your answers everybody!!

Am a tad confused now as I suppose in some ways it is personal choice at the end of the day, but my gut feeling is that NZ is a bit behind the times and nurses seem to be hopping from one country to the next. Yes I suppose I want the lovely laid back life that NZ offers, the pay that Australia offers but minus the wildlife!! I cannot stand snakes and spiders!!.

However with my age being 50yrs but having a wealth of experience in the good old NHS I have ruled out the U.S on the point that nobody with really employ me!!

Cheers for all the points! It does really help. However, I want to have a move from here and work in another health system. I really would love to live again away from the UK, but now WHERE!!? Isabelle (Quote/)

Isabelle, after 4yrs Kate is on around $65k for a 40 hr 9-5 mon -fri Palliative care co-ordinator's job. Only one weekend in six to do..do nurses earn a huge amount more in Oz?? You say (like Kate) the wild life would scare the shit out of you..then there's the heat, and by way of Global warming Oz is in for some long term shite weather. Only you know where you will be happy aye? NZ IS well behind the times generally but the hospitals are as good if not better than the UK on a day to day basis, okay for sure the UK and the US plus mainland europe are at the cutting edge of technology but you don't want to be in the UK do yo?.
Old Feb 20th 2009, 9:59 pm
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=Genesis;7305890]

Cheers for all the points! It does really help. However, I want to have a move from here and work in another health system. I really would love to live again away from the UK, but now WHERE!!? Isabelle (Quote/)

Isabelle, after 4yrs Kate is on around $65k for a 40 hr 9-5 mon -fri Palliative care co-ordinator's job. Only one weekend in six to do..do nurses earn a huge amount more in Oz?? You say (like Kate) the wild life would scare the shit out of you..then there's the heat, and by way of Global warming Oz is in for some long term shite weather. Only you know where you will be happy aye? NZ IS well behind the times generally but the hospitals are as good if not better than the UK on a day to day basis, okay for sure the UK and the US plus mainland europe are at the cutting edge of technology but you don't want to be in the UK do yo?.
What you say is very true, I am totally sick of working here in the UK.Am a senior nurse on a busy acute medical ward and am constantly tired now of the problems with staffing and more attention that seems to be given audits etc.
Yes am very used to all the technology I suppose but would exchange it for a less hassled more patient centred system!
However just how far behind is NZ, are the living standards so much lower than the Uk?
Is it the norm for the houses not to have insulation, double glazing and no cental heating? I just wonder all, my children are much older and would probably loved all the outdoor life. My daughter loves riding and my son is mad on mountain biking, but having said all that would NZ be ultimately too quiet for them?

Many thanks for relying!

Isabelle
Old Feb 20th 2009, 10:07 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

heh. No, double glazing and central heating are def. NOT the norm.

Can't speak to insulation. Most newer homes should be. However, if you live in an old house there won't be any.
Old Feb 20th 2009, 10:20 pm
Forum Regular

OzzieGunner is just really niceOzzieGunner is just really niceOzzieGunner is just really niceOzzieGunner is just really niceOzzieGunner is just really niceOzzieGunner is just really niceOzzieGunner is just really niceOzzieGunner is just really niceOzzieGunner is just really nice

[QUOTE=Genesis;7305890]

I have lived in melbourne for 9 years never seen a snake except at the zoo and the only spider I have seen that will bite is a white tail. Its bite is no worse than a wasp sting. If you moved to the US would you be concerned about bears and rattlesnakes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.