Where to live?

Old Feb 18th 2009, 3:39 pm
Forum Regular

IKlapwijk is just really niceIKlapwijk is just really niceIKlapwijk is just really niceIKlapwijk is just really niceIKlapwijk is just really niceIKlapwijk is just really niceIKlapwijk is just really niceIKlapwijk is just really niceIKlapwijk is just really nice
Default Where to live?

Hello everybody!!
Can you please help me? I cannot decide where to live1 Either New Zealand or Australia. am a staff nurse and single with two children. 18yrs and 21yrs, one at university and the other at sixth form. I am in full time work and am 50yrs old (groan!).
The problem is that NZ is beautiful but maybe (?) doesn't pay really as well as Australia does in wages. Please can anybody advise?

I am thinking of moving out next summer, want to start all process now and my children are coming aswell out there!

Please advise!!
Many thanks,

Isabelle
Old Feb 18th 2009, 4:36 pm
kopites are gobshites

this charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Where to live?

Sometimes the question is more important than the answer................
Old Feb 18th 2009, 4:41 pm
Forum Regular

IKlapwijk is just really niceIKlapwijk is just really niceIKlapwijk is just really niceIKlapwijk is just really niceIKlapwijk is just really niceIKlapwijk is just really niceIKlapwijk is just really niceIKlapwijk is just really niceIKlapwijk is just really nice

Originally Posted by this charming man
Sometimes the question is more important than the answer................
Thanks for the answer! I suppose I was really trying to find out more about whether anybody had worked in either of the countries and how they had found it out there? Also how expensive it is to actually live there especially if New Zealand does have a lower wage than here in the UK!
Old Feb 18th 2009, 4:49 pm
kopites are gobshites

this charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to behold

i have worked in both and in Greece and in U.K.
All have their pluses and minuses generally and individually,one mans VB is another mans Amstel.
Old Feb 18th 2009, 4:56 pm
Forum Regular

i have worked in both and in Greece and in U.K.
All have their pluses and minuses generally and individually,one mans VB is another mans Amstel.
ok, many thanks again. so what did you think of Australia and NEW Zealand for living? did you ever have to use the health service? some day NZ is quite behind than the UK?
Old Feb 18th 2009, 5:13 pm
kopites are gobshites

You have to go there and experience it to judge it and only then you can make a considered opinion after a lifetime of trilals and tribulations.
I love/loathe oz/nz in equal proportion but i feel the same about U.K.
We are moving back to nz in 5 years,then we will make the most of the situation that we find ourselves in there.
Old Feb 18th 2009, 5:35 pm
Forum Regular

You have to go there and experience it to judge it and only then you can make a considered opinion after a lifetime of trilals and tribulations.
I love/loathe oz/nz in equal proportion but i feel the same about U.K.
We are moving back to nz in 5 years,then we will make the most of the situation that we find ourselves in there.
If you don't mind me asking where abouts have you lived in nz?
Old Feb 18th 2009, 5:51 pm
kopites are gobshites

christchurch
Old Feb 18th 2009, 5:57 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

I've lived in both, but am not a nurse. Personally, I would live in NZ over Oz.

I think you need to ask yourself some questions:

What kind of climate do you want? NZ is more temperate, Australia is mostly far hotter. Personally, i couldn't handle the heat.

Is it more important to make money? i'd go for Oz if so.

What kind of surroundings? NZ is very green and beautiful and very diverse, though a small country. It's more traditionally beautiful. OZ has it's own beauty and less diversity in a small area, because it's so vast. You can go for miles and see the same trees, brown, etc. That personally isn't my bag, but everyone's different.

As far as being behind the Uk, it depends. I found some things about the UK behind NZ and vice versa.

I lived in wellington. If i was ever to go back i'd prolly end up there cos I loved it. I lived in Melbourne in Australia, not such a fan.

I have to say this though: everyone's different. It's really hard to tell from a bunch of strangers on the internetz, unless you're one of those people who knows themselves very well and has clear likes/dislikes, because it's all so subjective. I wouldn't have predicted I would dislike Australia as much as I did, but there ya go. However, I can see the good points to Oz, they just weren't good for me.

Anyway. Hope that helps.

Last edited by ExKiwilass; Feb 18th 2009 at 6:01 pm.
Old Feb 18th 2009, 6:03 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IKlapwijk
Hello everybody!!
Can you please help me? I cannot decide where to live1 Either New Zealand or Australia. am a staff nurse and single with two children. 18yrs and 21yrs, one at university and the other at sixth form. I am in full time work and am 50yrs old (groan!).
The problem is that NZ is beautiful but maybe (?) doesn't pay really as well as Australia does in wages. Please can anybody advise?

I am thinking of moving out next summer, want to start all process now and my children are coming aswell out there!

Please advise!!
Many thanks,

Isabelle
Charming man is not exactly chatty is he?

One thing to bear in mind is where in either country you might live. Your kids are going to be looking for university places and jobs, and a smaller country/town will not have the variety that you might get in, say, London. Be prepared for them to have to move away to get their respective careers established. Will you feel happy living alone on the other side of the world?
Old Feb 18th 2009, 6:32 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
I've lived in both, but am not a nurse. Personally, I would live in NZ over Oz.

I think you need to ask yourself some questions:

What kind of climate do you want? NZ is more temperate, Australia is mostly far hotter. Personally, i couldn't handle the heat.

Is it more important to make money? i'd go for Oz if so.

What kind of surroundings? NZ is very green and beautiful and very diverse, though a small country. It's more traditionally beautiful. OZ has it's own beauty and less diversity in a small area, because it's so vast. You can go for miles and see the same trees, brown, etc. That personally isn't my bag, but everyone's different.

As far as being behind the Uk, it depends. I found some things about the UK behind NZ and vice versa.

I lived in wellington. If i was ever to go back i'd prolly end up there cos I loved it. I lived in Melbourne in Australia, not such a fan.

I have to say this though: everyone's different. It's really hard to tell from a bunch of strangers on the internetz, unless you're one of those people who knows themselves very well and has clear likes/dislikes, because it's all so subjective. I wouldn't have predicted I would dislike Australia as much as I did, but there ya go. However, I can see the good points to Oz, they just weren't good for me.

Anyway. Hope that helps.
Many thanks for the reply!!

You were so right with your questions and helpful with your views on both countries. I haven't been so either places so all my views has come via research from books, magazines and the programme 'wanted down under' which i am now so addicted too!
Alot of my colleagues at work are leaving going to the States and Australia; this is why I am trying to work out which place is the best. I afraid the States doesn't really appeal to me though.

I am looking really to have a new change of life! Yes I want to have nice location, i suppose I am rambling here!! But I want a relaxing life, the opportunity to have a decent salary and to work extra aswell (of course in the UK with good old NHS that is always the case) and a better working environment that the UK hospital now. However the only confusion is the wages,I believe OZ is better for nurses? I am not interested in the hot climate nor the horrible spiders etc!!

So I suppose it maybe New Zealand in a way, but I really do have to research what it is like to be a nurse out there! Next it is what are the universities like as my son and daughter will be continuing education!

Thanks, Isabelle
Old Feb 18th 2009, 6:34 pm
kopites are gobshites

I am.
Old Feb 18th 2009, 6:37 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jmh
Charming man is not exactly chatty is he?

One thing to bear in mind is where in either country you might live. Your kids are going to be looking for university places and jobs, and a smaller country/town will not have the variety that you might get in, say, London. Be prepared for them to have to move away to get their respective careers established. Will you feel happy living alone on the other side of the world?
Yes, I am expecting for my children to be away at university. My daughter is there already and next year my Son (hopefully!!) will be going. I have waited for the timing to be right to begin all this process. So hopefully in the next two months I will start.
I suppose wither way there is always going to be something about either places, the better salaries in OZ but then the climate and nature is something that you have contend with.
I don't understand if the wages are lower in NZ, how people say it is more expensive to live other there than here?

Cheers, Isabelle
Old Feb 18th 2009, 6:45 pm
Forum Regular

I am.
You are quiet!!

But thanks for the replies anyway! What was Christchurch like?
Old Feb 18th 2009, 6:57 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IKlapwijk
I don't understand if the wages are lower in NZ, how people say it is more expensive to live other there than here?

Cheers, Isabelle
the cost of living is higher in NZ.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.