Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What's your best road rage story

What's your best road rage story

Old Sep 3rd 2007, 12:28 am
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's your best road rage story

Originally Posted by ned
My sister while driving in Auckland a few years ago notice a sticker in the back window of the car in front saying Honk if your a Geordie.
So she honked and the driver in front retuned with the two fingered salute

Old Sep 3rd 2007, 4:33 am
BE Enthusiast

dlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of light

The ridiculous Give Way to the Right rule - know it?

I was turning left, there was a car behind me going straight on and of course, there was a van in the middle of the road wanting to turn right. Who's right of way?

Well, it's mine, because the car behind me is driving straight on. The chap in the van however, seemed to expect me to wait on the side of the road until the car going straight on had passed and he could pull right in front of me. But of course, I didn't wait and whilst the straight on car was blocking the road for the van, I turned left and went on my merry way.

This didn't impress the van driver at all and he raced to catch me up, honking his horn and overtook me a little way up the road, brandishing the one finger salute as he went by...
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 5:06 am
Forum Regular

sammymac has a brilliant futuresammymac has a brilliant futuresammymac has a brilliant futuresammymac has a brilliant futuresammymac has a brilliant futuresammymac has a brilliant future

I was actually after road rage stories from the UK!

I've been over here 2 yrs now and have used the horn maybe 10 times.

A lot of it is the laid back lifestyle I guess, and fewer drivers to bug me!

Going home for jollies at Christmas so we'll see how I get on driving with the real pond life!!!

M62 here we come:curse:
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 9:00 am
Forum Regular

deboltz will become famous soon enoughdeboltz will become famous soon enough

just after my husband got his driving licence he was driving to work and this guy cut him up, he beeped his horn and shouted a few swear words - turns out the guy was the chief constable and he got dragged into the police station not long afterwards
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 9:21 am
Forum Regular

sammymac has a brilliant futuresammymac has a brilliant futuresammymac has a brilliant futuresammymac has a brilliant futuresammymac has a brilliant futuresammymac has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by deboltz
just after my husband got his driving licence he was driving to work and this guy cut him up, he beeped his horn and shouted a few swear words - turns out the guy was the chief constable and he got dragged into the police station not long afterwards
D'oh!
Old Sep 5th 2007, 9:49 am
Banned

themeggies has a spectacular aura aboutthemeggies has a spectacular aura aboutthemeggies has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by annbee
Hiya

I was born in Great Coates, and spent most of my childhood in Cleethorpes, sister lives in cleethorpes, we are auckland bound in 6 weeks, so excited

Best move we ever made ,good luck to you with your move you will not regret it .I still have a sister in Cleethorpes also but the rest of my family live in USA
Old Sep 5th 2007, 9:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

Back in Liverpool my wife had just put diesel in my petrol tank,then wondered why the car was 'jumping'.
The rac would only come if it was more than half a mile from the house,so I had to drive it away from the house,so I was fuming.
As I was driving up a quiet street,and old lady was completely cut up by a hoodie scally knobjocky,so as he passed,I gave him the wanker sign through the window. He promptly turns round and starts to mouth off and flash his lights. I was so angry I got out of the now dead car and started to walk up to his car,looking as hard as I could,and he starts to reverse away the same speed I was approaching him.
He kept shouting 'if you don't stop,Im goin to f**king run you over',and I realised I'd been goaded about 200 yards from my car!
So I gave up.
10 minutes later her turns up again as i was waiting for the RAC,and we did it all again.He never got out though,and Donna's never put diesel in since!
Old Sep 6th 2007, 2:43 pm
Forum Regular

Adventurer is a name known to allAdventurer is a name known to allAdventurer is a name known to allAdventurer is a name known to allAdventurer is a name known to allAdventurer is a name known to allAdventurer is a name known to allAdventurer is a name known to allAdventurer is a name known to allAdventurer is a name known to allAdventurer is a name known to all

I am always surprised by peoples opinions about the driving in NZ.

I have driven in many places around the world including a great deal in UK, masses in France, Italy, Malta, Spain, USA and a number of countries in Asia.

Every country has a percentage of dodgy. bad or rude drivers.
However I genuinely consider that NZ is probably better than any of them.

In general I find the drivers courteous, patient and they generally obey the rules of the road.

But most ex pats seem to think the driving is so bad.
NZ does tend to suffer from a few boy racers with loud obnoxious engines especially at the weekend but what can one expect if you are allowed to drive at 15!!

The 2 things I would consider changing in NZ is raising the driving age to at least 17 or 18 and amending the give way/turn right rule which in certain situations is a complete nonsense and very dangerous, although in many situations it has some credibility.