Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

which mobile company to use.

which mobile company to use.

Old Sep 5th 2007, 10:18 am
BE Enthusiast

julesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to behold
Default which mobile company to use.

Does anyone know which Mobile company has best coverage and best costs?
Old Sep 5th 2007, 10:23 am
Forum Regular

futurama has a spectacular aura aboutfuturama has a spectacular aura aboutfuturama has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: which mobile company to use.

Originally Posted by julesnye

Hi

Vodaphone started in NZ so a lot of them about but make sure you get your phone unlocked before you come as a bit behind times here and have just found out our phone's are unlockable so to get anything near as good as we got have to pay approx £150 each plus and not as amny deals out here as UK and phones not free even with a contract:curse:

Hope this helps
Jan

ps just realised signed in as OH!!! sorry
Old Sep 5th 2007, 10:26 am
Forum Regular

PaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to all

Hi There

I don't think there's a great deal of difference in coverage or costs between Vodafone and Telecom. I believe that Telecom are slightly cheaper if you use pay as you go.

I have a Vodafone PAYG simply because you can use your UK phone on the network. So all you have to do is buy a SIM card (about $30 from any Vodafone shop) and some credit and you are off to go.

If your UK phone is locked to a UK network (like Orange phones sometimes are) then you can get it unlocked over here. I used a guy off TradeMe and just sent my phone to him and he got it back to me in 3 days. Great service and it only cost me about $60 which si a lot cheaper than getting a new phone. It's a Samsung phone and I think it's even cheaper for a Nokia.

Hope that helps..

Paul
Old Sep 5th 2007, 10:28 am
Forum Regular

PaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to all

Originally Posted by futurama
Hi

Vodaphone started in NZ so a lot of them about but make sure you get your phone unlocked before you come as a bit behind times here and have just found out our phone's are unlockable so to get anything near as good as we got have to pay approx £150 each plus and not as amny deals out here as UK and phones not free even with a contract:curse:

Hope this helps
Jan

ps just realised signed in as OH!!! sorry
Hi Jan

I used this guy off TradeMe and he unlocked my very obscure Samsung
D600E phone with no probs. PM me and I will give you his details if you want them.

Paul
Old Sep 5th 2007, 10:43 am
BE Enthusiast

julesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to behold

Many thanks for the info.
Phones already unlocked so ready to go.
Old Sep 5th 2007, 10:59 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Vodafone do a 'best mate' deal which I use. You pay $6 a month and that allows you unlimited calls and texts to your chosen mobile numbers. I use about $20 a month on PAYG inc textx to the UK.

www.vodafone.co.nz
www.telecom.co.nz

PEAK in both cases is between 7am & 7pm

HTH
Old Sep 5th 2007, 9:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PaulGent
Hi Jan

I used this guy off TradeMe and he unlocked my very obscure Samsung
D600E phone with no probs. PM me and I will give you his details if you want them.

Paul
yOU can get it done in town for $20 here!
Old Sep 6th 2007, 4:46 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Barrow in Furness waiting to fly out to Auckland on Feb 12!
richyandkat will become famous soon enoughrichyandkat will become famous soon enough

Hi all,

Reading into this mobile phone thread with interest, my wife and I were both going to get new mobiles when we come out in Feb, her phone is unlocked but getting old and my phone is locked on the 3 network and have been told it's impossible to unlock, it's a nokia N70.

Am I right in thinking that it seems to be cheaper to buy an unlocked phone over here and get a SIM over in NZ than get a phone and SIM when we come out?

Will all mobiles work ok out there?

Cheers

Richy and Kat
Old Sep 6th 2007, 8:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

teambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to behold

I brought my Motorola V3 razor out with us running an O2 pay as you go card for its final few weeks in the UK/first week here.

Walked into a wellington vodafone shop and got an NZ contract, put the card into my UK phone and it works fine and to be honest its signal strength consistency here (Wellington and Auckland) has been better than i had in the UK living.

Contract cost here- $35 a month
Old Sep 7th 2007, 8:09 am
Forum Regular

futurama has a spectacular aura aboutfuturama has a spectacular aura aboutfuturama has a spectacular aura about

On a contract with vodaphone, it was an extra $300 for a mediocre phone
which you would get for free in Vodaphone uk, so get one in UK and do a runner can you get "Best mate" deal from Vodaphone if you dont have any mates ....only kidding
Old Sep 7th 2007, 8:28 am
Banned

themeggies has a spectacular aura aboutthemeggies has a spectacular aura aboutthemeggies has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by richyandkat
Hi all,

Reading into this mobile phone thread with interest, my wife and I were both going to get new mobiles when we come out in Feb, her phone is unlocked but getting old and my phone is locked on the 3 network and have been told it's impossible to unlock, it's a nokia N70.

Am I right in thinking that it seems to be cheaper to buy an unlocked phone over here and get a SIM over in NZ than get a phone and SIM when we come out?

Will all mobiles work ok out there?

Cheers

Richy and Kat
..I am pretty sure "DUAL" and "TRIBAND" fones will work here .I brought out my ex contract uk vodafone nokia 6230i and bought a pay as you go sim card from vodafone,works fine .My wife had her motorola that we got from tesco`s unlocked and we did the same again and it works fine also.

Last edited by themeggies; Sep 7th 2007 at 8:47 am.