Whatdya miss

Old Mar 15th 2007, 1:04 am
Forum Regular

MandyB is just really niceMandyB is just really niceMandyB is just really niceMandyB is just really niceMandyB is just really niceMandyB is just really niceMandyB is just really niceMandyB is just really niceMandyB is just really niceMandyB is just really niceMandyB is just really nice
Default Re: Whatdya miss

Agreed, only tried chinese once and that was enough. Never tried Thai until i came here so i can't compare, but it is delicious here. Noticed a lot of things in the British shop are now sold in New World, and much cheaper too - colemans mustard and mint sauce for starters - we searched high and lo for decent mint sauce when we first arrived here. OH used to love the hot dogs in a tin (Ye Olde Oak), BOGOF at Morrisons (ahh morrisons). The only ones we can find here are again at New World with some strange name under the International section for about $5

Also, my OH wouldn't forgive if i didn't mention Pataks Vindaloo paste - not sauce - paste. Can't bloody get it anywhere - supermarkets even had the nerve to say it doesn't exist (excuse me but it bloody well does ). Only alternative was Marharjas (apologies for spelling) hot curry paste at Woolworths but even they are sold out now every time we go - you just can't win.
Old Mar 15th 2007, 1:07 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Family
Free TV without the ruddy ads
Propa spellin
Accents - everyone sounds the same to me..........(climbs under the table in anticipation)
Taking tha peess (not found anyone whos not an expat who can give or take "the michael" properly .... yet).

still searching for these ......
Old Mar 15th 2007, 1:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Jude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by lardyl
Family
Free TV without the ruddy ads
Propa spellin
Accents - everyone sounds the same to me..........(climbs under the table in anticipation)
Taking tha peess (not found anyone whos not an expat who can give or take "the michael" properly .... yet).

still searching for these ......
With you on the accents!
It used to be hubbys pet niggle pointing out stupid spelling errors but now he doesn't bother so much.

How are you doing then lardy?
Old Mar 15th 2007, 1:53 am

Beachcombers is an unknown quantity at this point

Beer - Search high and low for a decent pint, but here you have a flat, strangly sweet liquid that taste of p#$%.

Bottled stuff is ok though.

Wow, that is my first negative NZ post, Campbells must be getting through to me!
Old Mar 15th 2007, 1:58 am
Account Closed

AnnieNell is an unknown quantity at this point

Sainsbury's/ Tesco/ M&S.
BBC (no add breaks every 10mins).
Smarties(British made).
Being able to drive at a decent speed
Probably more things, but that's it for now
Old Mar 15th 2007, 2:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Spacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dazal
After my last thread went down so well I thought I would give it another go.

Soooo, is there anything from the UK that you miss or for those not here yet, think you will miss. Not talking 'bout family & friends here as am sure thats a given for most of us.

I will start:

Being able to get on a plane and getting over to Europe for Thirty quid,
A really good curry - if anyone knows where to get one, please let me know.
Golden Wonder Cheese & Onion crisps (not 100% sure if they still do them) - the ones in the green packet,
Walkers Cheese & Onion crisps,
Toffee crisps,
A decent sausage (those ready cooked ones yuch ),
Jonathan Ross (not joking),
Paul Merton,
Marks & Sparks,
Boots sandwiches - especially the egg & bacon one.

Oh dear its all food! Not that the food is no good here, its great but if any of that lot could make their way over this way then I would be even happier, sigh!
I know what you mean about the sausages. London Pride Pork ones are quite good and from the supermarket or the butchers by West Pac in Browns Bay does 100% pork sausages and there perfect.
As for curry try Manly, theres a restaurant there that also does Takeaways. They do curry and naan bread for $10. They were amazing.
As for English chocolate and crisps, try the English store in Browns Bay but it is expensive.
Carole
Old Mar 15th 2007, 2:51 am
Forum Regular

anarkissed bathmat is just really niceanarkissed bathmat is just really niceanarkissed bathmat is just really niceanarkissed bathmat is just really niceanarkissed bathmat is just really niceanarkissed bathmat is just really niceanarkissed bathmat is just really niceanarkissed bathmat is just really niceanarkissed bathmat is just really nice

Haggis suppers
Deep fried pizzas
White pudding
chipper chips

ROFL NAH kiddin'
Trying hard to think and amazingly nothing springs to mind.
Old Mar 15th 2007, 3:21 am
Forum Regular

PaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to all

Actually, when I stop and think about it I miss quite a few things. Leaving aside the children and grandchildren, which I obviously miss there is:

M&S Pants for men. The kiwi ones are like Chernobyl - lots of "fall out"
Decent, polite, non-psychopathis drivers
European Cars and being able to afford to run one
The british sense of humour
Motorways when you need to get somewhere quickly
Cheap flights round Europe
Decent hotels when you want to go away for a special treat. Even the Tongariro Chateau was pretty ordinary!
Pretty girls who look like they have taken the time to brush their hair in the morning. (Does this make me a dirty old man??!!)
Pubs...pubs...pubs. Not the grotty drinking dives that they are over here or the over-priced, noisey, ponsey bars that are the only other place to go for a drink. The real pub is somewhere u can go on your own, sit and have a quiet pint while you read the paper or have small talk with a total stranger
The BBC. Radio 2 and Radio 4 (old f*rt that I am) and decent news from aorund the rest of the world.
Proper newspapers

Ok thats enough from me!

Here's the dreaded word SAUSAGES

I don't eat them often but I do like them sometimes. For anyone living in the Bay of Plenty area the sausages in Bathlehem Butchers are good. Aparently people come all the way from Auckland to buy their meat from this place. All the meat there is good. He actually advertises the bacon as being (free from added water"! Give him a try if you are in the area or passing through because the shop is on the main road.
Old Mar 15th 2007, 3:40 am
Forum Regular

maggiemou is just really nicemaggiemou is just really nicemaggiemou is just really nicemaggiemou is just really nicemaggiemou is just really nicemaggiemou is just really nicemaggiemou is just really nicemaggiemou is just really nice

Originally Posted by mojos
Yep true but managed to find one decentish takeaway at last. Didn't think I missed any food but...........sizzling chilli beef and crispy duck and pancakes.

Jo
Jo, where's the decentish Chinese takeaway in Tauranga? Am pregnant and craving decent Chinese food....not found a good one yet and we have tried a few!!! We are up in Pyes Pa but I will travel!!!

Maggie
Old Mar 15th 2007, 3:43 am
Forum Regular

maggiemou is just really nicemaggiemou is just really nicemaggiemou is just really nicemaggiemou is just really nicemaggiemou is just really nicemaggiemou is just really nicemaggiemou is just really nicemaggiemou is just really nice

Originally Posted by PaulGent
The BBC. Radio 2 and Radio 4 (old f*rt that I am) and decent news from aorund the rest of the world.
Proper newspapers

For anyone living in the Bay of Plenty area the sausages in Bathlehem Butchers are good. Aparently people come all the way from Auckland to buy their meat from this place. All the meat there is good. He actually advertises the bacon as being (free from added water"! Give him a try if you are in the area or passing through because the shop is on the main road.
Thanks so much for the tip off about Bethlehem Butchers - will definitely try them out, have been so disappointed with the quality of most of the meat here at the supermarket and the chain-type butchers.

And I so agree about missing the BBC (especially Radio 2) and what is it with NZ newspapers, how can they be so garbage??

Maggie
Old Mar 15th 2007, 3:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Jude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by maggiemou
Thanks so much for the tip off about Bethlehem Butchers - will definitely try them out, have been so disappointed with the quality of most of the meat here at the supermarket and the chain-type butchers.

And I so agree about missing the BBC (especially Radio 2) and what is it with NZ newspapers, how can they be so garbage??

Maggie
News papers are pretty awful. I used to have my radio tuned into BBC world service but I dont anymore, although we always watch BBC news 24.
I do quite like local news though, it reminds me of local news where my parents live in Cornwall. Someone dumping rubbish down a country lane made the news back there.
Old Mar 15th 2007, 4:02 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jude J
News papers are pretty awful. I used to have my radio tuned into BBC world service but I dont anymore, although we always watch BBC news 24.
I do quite like local news though, it reminds me of local news where my parents live in Cornwall. Someone dumping rubbish down a country lane made the news back there.
Oooooh, Spotlight and whatever the one was called on Westward/ TSW/Westcountry TV - we use to call it the Cheese news (cos there was always something about a cheese going missing, or how the cheesemaking was going!! ) I was brought up in Somerset, and really got a shock when I moved to Brighton for Uni and there was "serious" local news!!

Maggie
Old Mar 15th 2007, 4:03 am
BE Enthusiast

The Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond repute

Here's the dreaded word SAUSAGES

I don't eat them often but I do like them sometimes. For anyone living in the Bay of Plenty area the sausages in Bathlehem Butchers are good. Aparently people come all the way from Auckland to buy their meat from this place. All the meat there is good. He actually advertises the bacon as being (free from added water"! Give him a try if you are in the area or passing through because the shop is on the main road.
I have found a place that has some good sausages for anyone looking
for more continental style sausages (something like Polish Kielbasa or
Spanish chorizo) in the Auckland area.
In Manurewa, on Hobman Place, there's a Hungarian butcher who makes
and smokes his own sausages. He's been doing it since the 70's and
supplies some of the swank restaurants in Auckland. Good stuff and
not too expensive. And authentic. I spent most of my life in a town
that at one point had more Hungarians than Budapest, so I have an
idea what they're supposed to tast like. They're *nothing* like the
sausages you get in the supermarket.
Old Mar 15th 2007, 4:47 am
Forum Regular

mojos has a spectacular aura aboutmojos has a spectacular aura aboutmojos has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by maggiemou
Jo, where's the decentish Chinese takeaway in Tauranga? Am pregnant and craving decent Chinese food....not found a good one yet and we have tried a few!!! We are up in Pyes Pa but I will travel!!!

Maggie

We go to China Town buffet in Fraser Cove. Think it's called that anyway. They do takeaway too.

We like it anyway although it still isn't the same as our takeaway back in the UK.

Jo
Old Mar 15th 2007, 5:33 am
CockneyLass

dazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by mojos
Capital radio (95.8 fm)

Yep Jonathon Ross too. Does his show ever appear on UKTV?

Jo
No never, which is why I miss him so much.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.