Whatdya miss

Old Mar 17th 2007, 11:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Whatdya miss

Originally Posted by Campbells
It is really interesting when you look at the fast / take-away foods in that perspective. Don’t know of a fast-food health bar here in NZ.

That’s one of the things I miss about South Africa. For the equivalent of ten squid you could get a trolley full of fruit in season. We used to make fresh fruit juices for breakfast and it was so healthy. Mango was my fav. Fresh pineapple here in NZ is mostly from Fiji and is really nice.

BTW, gotta say, burgers here in NZ are not good BUT there is 1. Burger Fuel and we found that the one in Albany is the best. They have a great attitude too; they mixed up our order and gave us a $5 dollar voucher off our next meal and handled the situation really well.

We knew a butcher in SA that did awesome burgers; you know the inch thick ones. We had a party once and got a whole bunch of the burgers and just flipped them on the gas wok. We put out cheese & all the other trimmings and people made their own burger up of course the bun is important too. People really enjoyed it as was a change from boerwors and chops on the BBQ.

Must say that NZ chops have gotta be the best. In SA we used to do BBQ with charcoal all time ( except the gas wok) but have converted to gas here. It is much more convenient but there is certainly a technique to getting the BBQ flavour like you do on a Weber.

If you like BBQ fish try the Alfonseno ( here in NZ), it is like a red snapper but much cheaper. We had some Russian friends around and he ate the eyes of the fish, well we shared them. It’s amazing how vodka can change your perception of taste!

We get kippered Hoki fillets here from New World and flip them on the BBQ plate, a couple of minutes they are done. Those with a poached egg on top – yummy for breakfast.

Is it lunch time yet
oooh i've had Hoki fish here .... divine !!!!! Never seen it since I bought it that once though Can't wait to be able to get it fresh!
Old Mar 17th 2007, 11:44 pm
Forum Regular

soulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nice

Originally Posted by karonious
It's strange isn't it: it costs $10 to feed 3 of us from the chippy on a meal-deal of 3 small fish, 3 sausages, 6 potato fritters and more chips than we can eat between us. You would probably struggle to buy enough healthy food for $10 to feed 3 to the extent you couldn't finish . I'm sure we have discussed this previously on the fish & chip shop thread but it still holds true eh?

mmmm... that sounds yummy (LOVE the potato fritters!) but i have to say that you could EASILY feed 3 to stuffed with healthy food for $10! what about - shepards pie & veg, falafel in pittas & salad, fish curry & rice, just about anything and rice actually! bean burgers in buns, home made pizza (HUGE pizza works out at around $4.70, and most of that's the mozarella!).... actually I could keep listing food for ages, so i'll shut up

Chip shop food is cheap, yummy and unhealthy, but homemade food is cheap too!

SF
Old Mar 17th 2007, 11:55 pm
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by soulflour
mmmm... that sounds yummy (LOVE the potato fritters!) but i have to say that you could EASILY feed 3 to stuffed with healthy food for $10! what about - shepards pie & veg, falafel in pittas & salad, fish curry & rice, just about anything and rice actually! bean burgers in buns, home made pizza (HUGE pizza works out at around $4.70, and most of that's the mozarella!).... actually I could keep listing food for ages, so i'll shut up

SF
Nothing wrong with some home made soup !! In winter is great with some nice home made bread, yummy......
Old Mar 18th 2007, 12:08 am

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

SF
And better all around, too.
Typical hearty winter meal at Chez Happynz is pumpkin soup and a side of spinach ('cos the spinach makes you strong to the finish, toot toot). Also 'cos my better half is Thai there are insane amounts of hot chilis tossed in. Add in the rice for the missus and a French stick for the daughter and me and you have dinner for three for a Sir Edmund and a gold coin.

Old Mar 18th 2007, 2:19 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

I don't like hoki, too strong a flavour for me ... the blue cod is yum though so I get that on a Friday and have it in a bread bun with loads of mayonaise!
Old Mar 18th 2007, 4:31 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

SF
What I should have said was along the line of eating out or takeaway food, $10 wouldn't go far on healthy options.
I agree with you about what you can produce at home for $10. I make a lot of soup too, most recently made minestrone (yesterday) but also broth, tattie soup and lentil. I also made potato and courgette as my colleagues took some veg in from their gardens and it just took my fancy. It turned and quite nice and it was free!
Old Mar 18th 2007, 4:45 am
WAS bored stiff in USA

cyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud of

The kippered Hoki as Campbells mentioned is gorgeous. We have it at tea time with salad & some of the yummy bread they have over here.

Not sure if I could eat it for breakfast with a poached egg though (where's the throwing up smilie when you need it)
Old Mar 18th 2007, 4:59 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cyndi
The kippered Hoki as Campbells mentioned is gorgeous. We have it at tea time with salad & some of the yummy bread they have over here.

Not sure if I could eat it for breakfast with a poached egg though (where's the throwing up smilie when you need it)

Just do this .... * (throwing up smiley) *
Old Mar 18th 2007, 5:01 am
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold

I make a lot of soup too, most recently made minestrone (yesterday) but also broth, tattie soup and lentil.

Tattie soup -now you’re talkin!

You ever had tattie scones ? The weather here in Akl today is hot soup weather.

I recall being in Victoria station ( in London) Dec 97 and there was a soup cart there selling green Thai soup and hot mini baguettes ( well that was the one I got) and there was a pretty long queue. Well I tell you , that is probably the best soup I have ever had.

My mum used to make broth with ham bones and man that was a meal on its own. Bit like eating mushy peas as your mouth was like a desert after but well worth it.

In our first year in NZ I asked my government ( missus) what she wanted to do for her birthday in June which turned out to be a trip to a macadamia nut farm on the north west of Auckland. We had lunch there and is a really beautiful setting, I had macadamia nut soup which was fantastic.

Hey, anybody mention Fray Bentos steak & kidney pies ? Haven’t one those in years and I wonder if they are still going.

All this food talk is good for the appetite

Last edited by Campbells; Mar 18th 2007 at 5:05 am.
Old Mar 18th 2007, 5:09 am
Banned

Originally Posted by sky
Just do this .... * (throwing up smiley) * http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...ASIN1235-1.gif
Try this 1 .......
Attached Thumbnails Whatdya miss-kilt.gif  
Old Mar 18th 2007, 6:49 am
Forum Regular

soulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nice

What I should have said was along the line of eating out or takeaway food, $10 wouldn't go far on healthy options.
I agree with you about what you can produce at home for $10. I make a lot of soup too, most recently made minestrone (yesterday) but also broth, tattie soup and lentil. I also made potato and courgette as my colleagues took some veg in from their gardens and it just took my fancy. It turned and quite nice and it was free!
ah, makes more sense now!

Free soup! I had to go to the office of my ds1's primary school the other day and there were these HUGE buckets of fresh homegrown tomatos with a 'help yourself' sign! so now we have lots of tomato soup and pizza sauce in the freezer!
Old Mar 18th 2007, 7:17 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

ah, makes more sense now!

Free soup! I had to go to the office of my ds1's primary school the other day and there were these HUGE buckets of fresh homegrown tomatos with a 'help yourself' sign! so now we have lots of tomato soup and pizza sauce in the freezer!
Today, someone gave out homemade 'Chilli jam', yesterday it was plum jam and the day before, homegrown yellow tomatoes. I had taken in a big pan of minestrone yesterday, so had no qualms about helping myself. Tomorrow, I am being given a jar of home-pickled gerkhins
It is really nice to be part of this set up. Although we have no home grown produce, it wasn't expensive to contribute with the soup. I also like the shared lunches when someone moves on etc. We seem to have a nice sense of 'teamness' ( the word I seek is eluding me at the moment) on the ward.
Team spirit is the word/phrase I'm looking for eh?

Back on topic: I dread to ask: can anyone recommend a brand of sausagemeat? I used to make an enormous sausage roll with tinned tomatoes, sweetcorn, onion, mushroom etc, wrapped in puff pastry, then sliced and served cold. I haven't dared yet!
And slightly off tangent, the sausages may have a dire reputation (we actually LIKE the plain Tegal chicken ones), but the sausage rolls in my opinion are far superior. UK ones have a pencil of sausagemeat but here there is plenty of it and it goes from end to end! Anyone agree (hiding behind my riot shield now!)

Last edited by karonious; Mar 18th 2007 at 8:38 am. Reason: team spirit!
Old Mar 18th 2007, 7:43 am
Banned

Anyone agree (hiding behind my riot shield now!)
Yes, I agree it is a good idea to hide on this forum sometimes
Old Mar 18th 2007, 7:46 am
WAS bored stiff in USA

cyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud of

You know what we need on here, a sticky recipe thread. My kiwi friend made the most delicious kumara soup with a hint of curry in it I've ever tasted & it was super simple to make.

Last edited by cyndi; Mar 18th 2007 at 7:48 am. Reason: spelling
Old Mar 18th 2007, 7:49 am
sky
Banned

I bake cakes and pies lots for the hubbies work ... he comes home with loads of scabby apples and I convert them into yummy apple pies
It goes both ways and folk are a lot more friendly and open to doing you a favour if you have done something for them

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.