British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   What is REALLY uncool about NZ (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/what-really-uncool-about-nz-693540/)

hazeandsteve Nov 16th 2010 4:17 am

Re: What is REALLY uncool about NZ

Originally Posted by Expat Kiwi (Post 8984334)

Previously acquitted people can also be re-trialled if new evidence comes to light........

I really can't see what the problem with that is!

discobay Nov 16th 2010 5:25 am

Originally Posted by mickey_d (Post 8981716)
People walking barefoot in supermarkets:thumbdown:

Heck they do that here too and it's not just supermarkets.

Tray Nov 16th 2010 5:32 am

I like Xmas in summer- if you're going to have all those public holidays it's pretty cool to have them when the sun is shining and I think Xmas in summer keeps a bit of perspective about Xmas, unlike in the UK where it's the highlight of several miserable months and has snowballed out of all proportion. For us Xmas arrives pretty much when the kids break up from school and we stick a tree up and go wild in the aisles buying cheese and pink fizz and PASTRAMI SALMON. Summer Xmas rocks imo, so don't you moaners go getting it changed :D[/QUOTE]

Ditto:thumbup:

BEVS Nov 16th 2010 9:34 pm

Sandflies :frown:

bolton1 Nov 17th 2010 9:12 am

Tourists;):p

Bo-Jangles Nov 17th 2010 9:40 am

It's almost 2011 and most of the biggest names on the high street don't even offer online shopping. :thumbdown:

New World, Farmers, Briscoes et al, get yer bloomin finger out!!

pom4gud Nov 17th 2010 1:57 pm

....... that my mother-in-law lives there;)

cappuccino Nov 17th 2010 10:01 pm

No personal tax allowance - pay tax on every dollar earned. Even kids have to pay tax on their savings accounts.

Persephone Nov 17th 2010 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by pom4gud (Post 8987216)
....... that my mother-in-law lives there;)

:rofl::rofl:I am not alone

Originally Posted by cappuccino (Post 8988196)
No personal tax allowance - pay tax on every dollar earned. Even kids have to pay tax on their savings accounts.

That's something I try not to think about, it just makes me feel sad:sneaky: At least the income tax rates have come down a little bit to make up for the increase in GST.

Persephone Nov 17th 2010 10:28 pm

The ads on TV are very UNCOOL!!!
Too long and too many, plus too many breaks within a programme. It's especially worse if the programme was originally on the BBC and so was never meant to have ad breaks:curse:

crap coffee Nov 17th 2010 11:45 pm

tv is utter trash here. I do want to enjoy watching tv but I find myself turn it off most of the time. - not worth. just wasting time. Not a point buying expensive (rip off) colour tv to watch crap unless borrowing dvds or whatever.

Expat Kiwi Nov 18th 2010 12:11 am

Originally Posted by Persephone (Post 8988268)
Too long and too many, plus too many breaks within a programme. It's especially worse if the programme was originally on the BBC and so was never meant to have ad breaks:curse:

Oh that used to annoy me too. I gave up watching in the end and either downloaded or got DVDs out.

Charismatic Nov 18th 2010 12:40 am

Originally Posted by hazeandsteve (Post 8981615)
My inability to catch trout is uncool.

Grenades are the only way to fish.

However at the root of most of these complaints seems to be the stifling way in which New Zealanders cling to that which they know to the extent that they are very unwilling to try new ideas and strategies, especially where no precedent exists (Industry, housing, driving, education, healthcare, welfare etc.)

Expat Kiwi Nov 18th 2010 1:16 am

The precedents usually do exist - just not in New Zealand.

Try to apply them to New Zealand and the excuse is "yeah no, it won't work in New Zealand mate" I guess the reasoning is if something has worked ok for decades why change it now? What Brits call "if it ain't broke don't fix it."

cappuccino Nov 18th 2010 1:40 am

Originally Posted by Persephone (Post 8988268)

The ad breaks are annoying but I get more annoyed when the end of one programme seems to roll into the start of the next one.