Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What Do You Perceive is Better in NZ than in UK?

What Do You Perceive is Better in NZ than in UK?

Old Jun 18th 2010, 12:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

mcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: What Do You Perceive is Better in NZ than in UK?

Originally Posted by MattandJax
really? well we're in Botany at the mo, and due to move to Cockle bay on Saturday. as we've been house hunting, weve driven all over the Manukau area and are quite impressed with the roads. we came from Manchester where they were already dire before the last winter we had,.. and now theyre just unbelievably bad! it will cost millions to repair them all properly!
and as for the drivers, they seem a little unaware at times... but again comparing with Manchester we haven't seen the agressive, dangerous, numpty style driving we have been used to....and the roads are so much quieter which probably helps!

we drove on some unsealed country/hairpin roads in the Coromandel which were a bit scary i have to say! but again, the proper roads in the towns were great quality and in good shape

Well the roads in Canterbury are 90% crap chipings on a thin tar spraying, not good for cycling at all. Loads of gravel roads just outside town as well.

The drivers, well here is how I see it. Riding in Devon 95% wait for a gap before passing 5% may give you a squeeze in NZ it was the opposite 95% just run you into the gutter and 5% may be more considerate. In NZ I spent most of my time looking over my shoulder and diving for the gutter every time I heard a car, not so in the UK.
Old Jun 20th 2010, 7:25 am
Forum Regular

rason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud of
Default Re: What Do You Perceive is Better in NZ than in UK?

One word Lifestyle. Its not comparable in my admittedly limited experience so far.

The only things I miss about the UK are
Leeds United
BBC
Sports coverage (really want to watch the F1)
Yorkshire
Real Beer
Cheese (but the doctor says I cant eat it anymore so...)
ASDA to buy cheap food, socks, tables, lamps etc etc
Central Heating
Cheap Euro breaks

The real things in life though weather, people, health service is better I reckon. And has anyone noticed that Expats are generally sound people to? It must be the common ground of being away from the UK but we all seem to talk and get on, which necessarily wouldnt happen in the UK.