Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What Do You Perceive is Better in NZ than in UK?

What Do You Perceive is Better in NZ than in UK?

Old Jun 15th 2010, 7:29 am
Forum Regular

FrequentFlyer is just really niceFrequentFlyer is just really niceFrequentFlyer is just really niceFrequentFlyer is just really niceFrequentFlyer is just really niceFrequentFlyer is just really niceFrequentFlyer is just really niceFrequentFlyer is just really niceFrequentFlyer is just really niceFrequentFlyer is just really nice
Default What Do You Perceive is Better in NZ than in UK?

Just wondered pros and cons wise what those moving to NZ think will be better over here and what those over here in NZ think is better in the UK?

One thing I do know is that the perfect place don't exist. Globalisation and the proliferation of internet access has resulted in the world being very sameish these days for better or worse.

As a starter for 10 here are some of my thoughts (4.5 yrs in NZ but spend huge amounts of time in the UK):-

NZ positives:

Less Populated
Nice People
Pretty Scenery

UK positives:

Housing Standards
Education
Heath Service

Just interested to know what others think???
Old Jun 15th 2010, 7:38 am
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What Do You Perceive is Better in NZ than in UK?

The coffee, well it is in Welly
Old Jun 15th 2010, 8:13 am
Forum Regular

Charlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant future

NZ Positives:
Very small population
Less congestion
Weather (in Auckland anyway!)
Great beaches and all close by
Scenery
Food
Great fishing
People
Education (miles better than the UK)
Health (ditto)
No class system
Patriotic
Bigger houses and more land for your money
Action / adventure (white water rafting, canoeing, sailing etc)
Get-togethers / partying
Better life / work balance

UK Positives:
Wages higher - and no glass ceiling on earnings
Easier to save / pension
Cheap flights
Great holiday destinations nearby (ie Med.)
Better public transportation
Places to visit
Visual history (London, Bath, Stonehenge, castles, etc)
Food
Standard of housing
Newer cars
Disposable income
Old Jun 15th 2010, 8:17 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FrequentFlyer
UK positives:

Housing Standards
Education
Heath Service
Mind me asking what your education and health service assessments are based on?
Old Jun 15th 2010, 10:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simonsi
Mind me asking what your education and health service assessments are based on?
We are very, very happy with bot health and education services in NZ. Houses here are an issue and there is way more chance of buying a lemon here than in the Uk. However houses here cost roughjly the same as a packet of fags in the Uk so what does one expect.

For us the whole package in NZ as a family with 3 young kids is wildly better than it would be in the UK given the same amount of money we had in the UK after selling up there and moving here with said money.

Better neighbourhood, better house (though I doubt it will still be standing in 100 years) better garden, work less (30% less) as a couple, way more money at the end of each month (which is all frittered away..what is it for aye?) less stress, less traffic, no crowds, live in a rural setting yet have lots to do just minutes away in a half decent town. The list goes on. I do miss the historic stuff of the Uk and europe. Friends and family are missed but I knew all about breaking eggs to make omlettes and they are not a reason I would ever return to the UK. Sounds harsh I know but Kate and my kids are what really matter these days everything else is a huge 2nd place.
Old Jun 15th 2010, 10:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond repute

Will do an entry tomorrow, but also very much agree on health (non-dental) and education in NZ being better.
Old Jun 15th 2010, 10:41 am
BE Enthusiast

chocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
We are very, very happy with bot health and education services in NZ. Houses here are an issue and there is way more chance of buying a lemon here than in the Uk. However houses here cost roughjly the same as a packet of fags in the Uk so what does one expect.

For us the whole package in NZ as a family with 3 young kids is wildly better than it would be in the UK given the same amount of money we had in the UK after selling up there and moving here with said money.

Better neighbourhood, better house (though I doubt it will still be standing in 100 years) better garden, work less (30% less) as a couple, way more money at the end of each month (which is all frittered away..what is it for aye?) less stress, less traffic, no crowds, live in a rural setting yet have lots to do just minutes away in a half decent town. The list goes on. I do miss the historic stuff of the Uk and europe. Friends and family are missed but I knew all about breaking eggs to make omlettes and they are not a reason I would ever return to the UK. Sounds harsh I know but Kate and my kids are what really matter these days everything else is a huge 2nd place.
Can't comment on recent experience of education, but I would say I never had any criticsms of my experience of UK health system, and though financed by taxation was free at the point of entry unlike nz.

Housing standards in NZ are way inferior to UK, and in way cheaper relative to earnings, certainly in places where the jobs are.

My biggest misses NZ to UK, are the history, and the nearness and cheapest of flying to other places, breadth of sporting news (its 99% rugby with little else here), and accessibility of the outdoors (yep, I enjoy the outdoors in NZ, but accessibility is limited in many areas).
Old Jun 16th 2010, 3:49 am

Woodpigeon is an unknown quantity at this point

UK positives:

Bacon, sausages, clotted cream, chocolate........... health service, education, housing, roads (upkeep), choice of affordable overseas holiday desitinations, variety of domestic travel options (ie trains, coaches rather than planes or a long self-drive).

NZ positives:

Fresh foods, cafe culture, less air pollution, sporting opportunities for little kids, easier commute (dang it, took me twice as long to get to work this morning due to junior No 3 making us leave 5 mins later - journey took me nearly 20 mins!!), easier to buy land and build your own house (finances permitting).
Old Jun 16th 2010, 4:02 am
Cow on the Beach

Wooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond repute

Easy;

England: negative - Expectations of Football team - 1-1 is regarded as a loss

New Zealand: possitive - Expectations of Football team - 1-1 is regarded as an historic win!

Now the All Whites only have to beat Italy, then a draw with Paraguay, beat Holland, and Brazil, then Germany, to meet England in the final !!!
Old Jun 16th 2010, 4:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond repute

UK positives:

Clotted cream (oh I wish this hadn't been mentioned!!), variety of overseas destinations closer to home, footie, shopping choice, NHS dentists, higher wage expectation, friends, family.

NZ positives:

Fresh foods, sausages, cafe culture, less air pollution, more outdoor leisure opportunities, more opportunities for children, better public transport (yep I didn't live in one of the main cities), education system, health care although not free, roads in terms of upkeep although not as many motorways etc.
Old Jun 16th 2010, 7:08 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm, seems about even as to whether peeps think UK health and Ed better or NZ....
Old Jun 16th 2010, 7:09 am
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

BIGGER SPACE TO PARK THE CAR.
Have you tried putting a 4x4 in Tesco compared to Pac n Save?
Old Jun 16th 2010, 7:15 am
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chocolate cake
....the nearness and cheapest of flying to other places, breadth of sporting news (its 99% rugby with little else here), and accessibility of the outdoors (yep, I enjoy the outdoors in NZ, but accessibility is limited in many areas).
So you.....
(a) miss NOT being able to easily LEAVE UK
(b) need to get Sky Sports subscription
(c) and can't open your electronic driveway gates

Not much to moan about then! You should get a DoC map for access to the open spaces.
Old Jun 16th 2010, 7:17 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Old Jun 16th 2010, 8:24 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: What Do You Perceive is Better in NZ than in UK?

Originally Posted by mpg
NZ Positives:
Very small population
Less congestion
Weather (in Auckland anyway!)
Great beaches and all close by
Scenery
Food
Great fishing
People
Education (miles better than the UK)
Health (ditto)
No class system
Patriotic
Bigger houses and more land for your money
Action / adventure (white water rafting, canoeing, sailing etc)
Get-togethers / partying
Better life / work balance

UK Positives:
Wages higher - and no glass ceiling on earnings
Easier to save / pension
Cheap flights
Great holiday destinations nearby (ie Med.)
Better public transportation
Places to visit
Visual history (London, Bath, Stonehenge, castles, etc)
Food
Standard of housing
Newer cars
Disposable income
You stole the words right out of my mouth .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.