Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Rock Pubs/clubs in Auckland?

Rock Pubs/clubs in Auckland?

Old Jun 15th 2010, 6:22 pm
Forum Regular

Trish M is just really niceTrish M is just really niceTrish M is just really niceTrish M is just really niceTrish M is just really niceTrish M is just really niceTrish M is just really niceTrish M is just really nice
Default Rock Pubs/clubs in Auckland?

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if there are any rock/metal pubs in Auckland at all?

When I go out it always involves going to Grand Central (proper scummy pub which has an ace jukebox!) then a metal club. I used to go to Jilly's Rockworld until it closed down

The couple of times I've been to NZ I never heard of any rock clubs but then my brother's not into that sort of music, so he wouldn't know if any existed!
Old Jun 15th 2010, 9:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rock Pubs/clubs in Auckland?

I dont know about Auckland but theres bugger all in ChCh, I bet we know each other if you where a Jillys regular

Neil
Old Jun 16th 2010, 3:28 am
Forum Regular

JackandE is a jewel in the roughJackandE is a jewel in the roughJackandE is a jewel in the roughJackandE is a jewel in the roughJackandE is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil View Post
I dont know about Auckland but theres bugger all in ChCh, I bet we know each other if you where a Jillys regular

Neil
I used to go to the 'OLD' Jillys back in the late 1970's and 80's what a cool place that was...before it moved to Oxford Road I think it was on Gore street...rock and what abouts Waves I think that was on water street....again not sure......great...we could dance the night away to all the 70's rock like Zep, Deep Purple, Sabbath,,,,,,,,,and lots more
Old Jun 16th 2010, 11:53 am
Near the outer fringe

JohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond repute

I can't believe it. A Jilly's appreciation society!

I used to go too

Well, I did until I realised I was getting a bit past it, and now its shut.

WP
Old Jun 16th 2010, 7:02 pm
Forum Regular

Trish M is just really niceTrish M is just really niceTrish M is just really niceTrish M is just really niceTrish M is just really niceTrish M is just really niceTrish M is just really niceTrish M is just really nice

So am I right in thinking that there aren't any?

That's quite surprising really as I found when I was in NZ, that a lot more rock music was played on the radio than in UK.

Oh well, I suppose that'll be the ONLY thing I'll miss about the UK then
Old Jun 16th 2010, 8:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

zaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to behold

This is a direct link for gigs and locations. It will be worth just having a look through The Rocks website for general rock related stuff.

http://www.therock.net.nz/MusicampEv...0/Default.aspx

another radio station (classic rock) http://www.hauraki.co.nz/

other links for rock bars / music gigs -

http://www.guidetoauckland.co.nz/Edi...ck-Venues.aspx

http://www.mukuna.co.nz/

As for out and out rock clubs/nightclubs - not looking good. Venues seem to be flexible in what they play. A sign of the times me thinks...........

Plenty of that "lovely" Rnb stuff around
Old Jun 17th 2010, 5:34 am
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

Just prepare yourxself for kiwiw Rock.
As long as you can hold a beer, and swing from foot to foot without spilling, in a bobbing kind of way, then it qualifies.
As for venue, you'll enjoy Kings Arms in Auckland. live music often, with big names occassionally.
Old Jun 20th 2010, 11:09 am
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Trish M View Post
Hi everyone,

Just wondering if there are any rock/metal pubs in Auckland at all?

When I go out it always involves going to Grand Central (proper scummy pub which has an ace jukebox!) then a metal club. I used to go to Jilly's Rockworld until it closed down

The couple of times I've been to NZ I never heard of any rock clubs but then my brother's not into that sort of music, so he wouldn't know if any existed!
look for gigs advertised at the kings arms in newton. or possibly powerstation..
there are one or two metal bars in k'road but i dont know the names..

maybe "the rock's" website will have some info...