WELLY IN AUGUST

Old Jul 14th 2009, 10:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WELLY IN AUGUST

Originally Posted by shirl
Hi All
Got a great deal on flights and accommodation for August in Welly. Yes I know the wind and winter!!!! Besides Te Papa are there any "MUST DO's" that I should know about. Arriving early Friday afternoon, leaving Sunday mid day.

Thanks in advance peeps
Is there any sporting events on that weekend, the Wellington Phoenix season will have kicked off in August if you want to go watch some football at the stadium.

Best thing about Welly, just come and chill and enjoy it, don't try to do too much, find some fab cafes (there are loads) and sit and watch the World go by, plenty of good bars too, Malthouse on Courtenay Place is fab for their beer selections.

Paramount cinema is good for going to see some weird and cool little films.

Go to Kirkcaldy & Staines for a laugh, its branded as Welly's answer to Harrods but is more like Grace Bros from Are You Being Served

Go for a posh dinner at Logan Brown, Martin Bosleys or the White House.

Wander up Cuba St looking in the weird shops, take some photos of the Bucket Fountain and Blanket Man if he is out, and wonder at exactly what the locals are wearing, fashion in Welly is, well, distinctive!!

Wander round the bays a bit from Oriental Parade and if its a windy day you can have fun watching the planes come into the airport!

You must have a wander along the waterfront, Te Papa is great on a not so good weather day.

If you do hire a car do a proper drive round the bays, its fab, and stop at Scorchorama for coffee or brunch. Drive up Mount Vic too, maybe even up to the Wind Turbine at Brooklyn for the views. If you fancy a longer walk (depending on knees and some hiking boots) look at Red Rocks and going to see the Seal Colony down there.

You can do tours around the Parliament aswell, worth checking up on that one to see if its running.

Te Papa has a new Formula 1 exhibition that just opened today too!

Remeber, its always a good day in Welly, regardless of the weather, you will have a fab time
Old Jul 15th 2009, 12:46 am
BE Enthusiast

shirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond repute

Wow all that sounds great, thanks for all the info. Wonder just how much we will fit in! Hope we have a good landing too LOL!!
Old Jul 15th 2009, 1:34 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

A formula 1 exhibition? I wondered why te papa had all the ferrari signs & merchandise! I went in there over the weekend (just wanted a picture of the rainforest but wandered through anyway).

I think the Wellington Museum (Museum of City and Sea) is one of my favourite museums. If not my actual favourite. It's free to enter and provides a great step by step year by year history of wellington. It's mainly local Colonial history onwards (so 1840s onwards) but due to Wellington being the capital it provides a number of snapshots into NZ's history and development. I suspect it's better for Wellingtonians who can look at a particular item and say "ooh I know where that is" but I still think it's great.

And at te papa I always like the 'making peoples' exhibit. Stop laughing, it's great. And like I said in my earlier post, at te papa just remember to pull open drawers and to look in things or you won't see half of what's on show.