British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   WELLY IN AUGUST (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/welly-august-592196/)

shirl Feb 18th 2009 7:26 am

WELLY IN AUGUST

Hi All
Got a great deal on flights and accommodation for August in Welly. Yes I know the wind and winter!!!! Besides Te Papa are there any "MUST DO's" that I should know about. Arriving early Friday afternoon, leaving Sunday mid day.

Thanks in advance peeps:)

simonmarkellis Feb 18th 2009 8:08 pm

Re: WELLY IN AUGUST

Originally Posted by shirl (Post 7296829)
Hi All
Got a great deal on flights and accommodation for August in Welly. Yes I know the wind and winter!!!! Besides Te Papa are there any "MUST DO's" that I should know about. Arriving early Friday afternoon, leaving Sunday mid day.

Thanks in advance peeps:)

Well there's Mt Victoria and the Botanical Gardens...

RobClubley Feb 18th 2009 8:19 pm

You might get one of those sunny winter days to explore outdoors - we sometimes get lovely weather inbetween the wind and rain in winter :D

kiwinow Feb 19th 2009 4:24 am

Go up the cable car. That's pretty. MtVic also spectacular, if windy.
Is that LOR expo still there or is it all over now? Visit Cuba Mall - unusual.
Te Papa - awesome museum and there is a maritime one somewhere on the front nearby. The zoo is OK but a bit tired if you've been used to more.
There are nice beaches if the weather holds.
Nice cafes, bars and nightclubs after dark.

shirl Feb 19th 2009 4:30 am

Originally Posted by kiwinow (Post 7300436)
Go up the cable car. That's pretty. MtVic also spectacular, if windy.
Is that LOR expo still there or is it all over now? Visit Cuba Mall - unusual.
Te Papa - awesome museum and there is a maritime one somewhere on the front nearby. The zoo is OK but a bit tired if you've been used to more.
There are nice beaches if the weather holds.
Nice cafes, bars and nightclubs after dark.

Great - are all those easily accessible without a car or should we consider hiring one for the day? We are staying at James Cook Grand Chancellor Hotel - is that near to everywhere?

kiwinow Feb 19th 2009 4:44 am

From memory, from that hotel you could stroll the town and go up the cable car and stroll to the museum but you may need a car or bus for the rest. However, Wellington is the best city in NZ for public transport andther may be day trip buses. Best ask at your hotel.

Kiwiprincess Feb 19th 2009 5:03 am

$5 DAYTRIPPER PASS!

Unless you plan to actually leave Wellington, or you get a supercheap hirecar I think it is just as easy to get the bus around.

www.metlink.org.nz for public transport.

Assuming it is a decent day, in terms of just random views of Wellington you could get the Number 14 bus which goes between Wilton and Kilbirnie via Oriental Bay and Roseneath. With a daytripper pass you could just get the bus as close as you can to Mt Victoria then walk the rest. Walking down around the Roseneath/Mt Victoria area then along Hawker Street (past the Monestry...aka the church aka St Gerards) and follow your nose back down to the city.

Go to the Embassy for a movie. For a cheap meal consider one of the Malaysian places on Ghuznee Street, or for a drink at night at the rather retro Mighty Mighty which sees what can only be described as a rather diverse crowd. Or go to one of the bars along the waterfront. I have a problem with the Mac's brewery place as I split my leg open due to their staff there and they only offered me a bandaid. But even that could be a goer.

What about a show/meal at Circa? Circa theatre is very wellington.

It is also right next to te papa so that could be quite good. Whilst at Te Papa you could also visit the Collosal Squid (Collassal is due to it's type...not necessarily its size although it is a monster). At te papa be sure to open every single drawer, cupboard or door you may see. If it has a button, press it. Or else you simply won't see, feel, or hear half of it.

Hmmm what else? I would suggest a half day trip over to Somes Island (even 3 hours is good) but the weather can be extreme there. August isn't likely to be the best time to go there. So, unless it is lovely weather perhaps skip it.

Get the cable car up to the Botanic gardens. Go into the Gardens and look around. Then, either walk back to town via Tinakori Road and Thorndon and look at historic houses and churches. Katherine Mansfield Birthplace and Old St Pauls Church.

Go to www.wcc.govt.nz for ideas. This page has heritage trails. As you are likely to be going past many of the buildings etc it may be worth looking at them. A lot of Wellington's early history - and therefore New Zealand's history - is noted in these leaflets. You can also pick them up at the airport (i think) and the visitor info centre at Civic Square (by the library).

Kiwiprincess Feb 19th 2009 5:05 am

Oh the $5 pass is for any travel after 9am on a weekday and all day on a weekend day. It is only for Wellington City (although you can buy another one for hutt buses). It doesn't cover the cable car, but the cable car is pretty cheap - about $3 I think. $1.50 for a concession (including student pass).

Might think of more things to do later :)

shirl Feb 19th 2009 6:42 am

Great Ideas folks. I will be sure to hopefully plan my weekend before we go. Will get a Taxi to the hotel and take it from there. Also depending on the weather as OH has arthritis in his knees so may have to hire a car to get around or do the bus depending on how he is at that time. Anway all your input much appreciated especially kiwiprincess.:):):)

Charismatic Feb 19th 2009 7:07 am

As mentioned the cable car, Te Papa (but go along to see an exibition, makes it much more worthwhile :)) . I like Petone/Lower Hutt a lot for shopping and coffee :thumbsup:.

If you head just over the Rimutaka hill road (or by train) you can go and taste some not unreasonable wine and some, actually fairly good, cheeses :). That area seems to have lots of cottage industries up to the Masterton area, beyond that it's just very disinteresting small towns servicing farmers until you get to Napier really (Masterton is about the furthest reach from Wellington which puts it on the edge of civilisation). Greytown is a nice little boutique/arts craft type town that may be of some interest as well.

crap coffee Feb 19th 2009 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by Charismatic (Post 7300715)
. I like Petone/Lower Hutt a lot for shopping and coffee :thumbsup:.

So Do I.

Indeed, it's a nice, cozy, quiet place to sit back and enjoy a warm cup of coffee/cuppa. Loving Lower Hutt/Petone area.

Charismatic Feb 20th 2009 2:07 am

Originally Posted by crap coffee (Post 7302716)
So Do I.

Indeed, it's a nice, cozy, quiet place to sit back and enjoy a warm cup of coffee/cuppa. Loving Lower Hutt/Petone area.

Do you ever bother going to Porirua? In the whole time I lived in Wellington I only went once.

crap coffee Feb 20th 2009 5:45 am

Originally Posted by Charismatic (Post 7303405)
Do you ever bother going to Porirua? In the whole time I lived in Wellington I only went once.

Nope. I never want to go there. as I think it isn't nice enough or as nice/romantic as Lower Hutt area. - just my personal taste. I guess it's from...my childhood memories - we used to live there for 3 years when I was a school kid - (at that time) the area looked really poor and poorer people (full of pacific Islanders) sitting and smoking. (Don't get me wrong I am not being a racist - am just being honest.) looked crap - not sure what's like now. - it's not my kind of taste place I want to be.

Charismatic Feb 20th 2009 6:54 am

Lots of "Housing New Zealand" owned property (Which as far as I can work out are state houses?) so you might be right.

The only bad thing about actually living in the Hutt for me was the Tranzmetro services appeared to be run by former British Rail employees :lol:. It actually ended up being more cost effective living in the city itself and I could get out of bed an hour later, which was nice :).

daza Jul 14th 2009 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by crap coffee (Post 7303778)
Nope. I never want to go there. as I think it isn't nice enough or as nice/romantic as Lower Hutt area. - just my personal taste. I guess it's from...my childhood memories - we used to live there for 3 years when I was a school kid - (at that time) the area looked really poor and poorer people (full of pacific Islanders) sitting and smoking. (Don't get me wrong I am not being a racist - am just being honest.) looked crap - not sure what's like now. - it's not my kind of taste place I want to be.

Good to hear that about Lower Hutt as we are arriving there from Surrey in 4 weeks time.
Hopefully looking to rent in the Belmont or Waterloo area.