Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Wellington or Christchurch?

Wellington or Christchurch?

Old May 28th 2010, 3:50 am
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wellington or Christchurch?

I enjoy shopping in Welly. there are some posh shops around. love clothes/shoes shopping here - they are good quality. (unlike 15 odd years ago) . There are more than enough choice I can make these days. however, often I've got no money to buy everything I want to.

one of the reasons why I want to be in Welly.

Last edited by crap coffee; May 28th 2010 at 3:57 am.
Old May 29th 2010, 10:09 am
BE Enthusiast

londonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Kiwiprincess
You're a fundraiser and have found Christchurch to be better for you? That's interesting actually. We have two fundraisers at work (I'm in Wellington) and both talk about Wellington and Auckland above Christchurch.

Nothing against Christchurch at all. I am just surprised that as a fundraiser, you are finding Christchurch to be ahead of Wellington. I have no clue though so was just curious. Have you checked the Finz website?

I'm a born and raised, dyed in the wool Wellingtonian. I wouldn't live in Mexico (south of the border) myself but it's a lovely city.
Yes normally I'd agree - just better opportunities in Christchurch at the moment for some reason which I too found rather strange! Wellington has not been great in employment terms for the last few months. Particulary in my speciality area too which makes things even more limited so I have to take work where I can find it but who knows I may go for a total career change instead of having to worry about people not getting paid if I don't do my job properly

Auckland I personally wouldn't mind but my husband has said no way (dye in the wool west coast South Island - despite the fact that he's lived in London the last 10 years and loves it - strange how old prejudices don't go away ).

I've been in touch with FINZ too and some agencies just to scope out what's what. It will be easier once I'm finally over there I think

Last edited by londonescapee; May 29th 2010 at 10:09 am. Reason: spelling
Old May 29th 2010, 10:11 am
BE Enthusiast

londonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Dustybin
I live in chch. and I also have no kids one wife and am in my 30's.

Its a good place to live in general, it's not scary at all but I suppose that depends on where you have come from in the first place.

It's as lively as you want it to be, and unlike wellington I've never been in a pub in the city centre on a friday night that was closing at 9.30pm.

Oh and it flat, which is good if you bike to work!

Just for the record, after 3 years of being down here I'm yet to find any part of NZ that is like an 'english city' least of all Chch. Which is a good thing, or I might aswell live in england.

Like anywhere, it is what you make of it.

Have fun and enjoy!

Oh and if you come down here i'll by u a pint.
Awesome thank you! We'll definitely be there at some point visiting rellies and the flatness does appeal - particularly for running training makes things so easier (even if it is cheating not doing hills )
Old May 29th 2010, 10:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PSW2010
I thought I may aswell add my tuppence worth.
I have lived in both places, ChCh for about 6 months, Wellington for 2 years.
For me, I prefer Wellington overall, but that's because Wellington provides me with the things I want from somewhere to live, and doesn't mean that Chch is no good.
Firstly, the 2 are very different and it's hard to know where to start the more I type, it truly does depend on what you like to do in life.
Thank you for taking the time to write such a comprehensive post it was really interesting

For us outdoorsy and access to a ski field is almost as important as having to earn a crust I am determined to get a couple of seasons in before we start trying for a family
Old May 29th 2010, 10:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by crap coffee
I enjoy shopping in Welly. there are some posh shops around. love clothes/shoes shopping here - they are good quality. (unlike 15 odd years ago) . There are more than enough choice I can make these days. however, often I've got no money to buy everything I want to.

one of the reasons why I want to be in Welly.
Well wherever we end up if it isn't Wellington we'll be visiting regularly because my brother is there - if the shops are better than my husband would probably prefer to live somewhere I don't have access to them (shopping + me )