British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Wellington or Christchurch? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/wellington-christchurch-669705/)

londonescapee May 25th 2010 8:13 pm

Wellington or Christchurch?

Hi everyone,

I'm in a bit of a dilema. I really really want to move to Wellington (brother, sis in law and niece and loads of friends are there and I love it!). But bizarrely enough in my profession, there are some great job opportunities in Christchurch - one has just come up and as I'm likely to get my partnership visa in a few weeks and jobs in my field at the right level aren't that common, I don't want to miss out on opportunities.

Problem is that I found Christchurch utterly dull :zzz: I totally confess to being biased as my husband's family live there and are all lovely but I can barely cope being with my family for more than a few days (love them though I do!), and my in laws for the next few years? - I just dunno!

The other thing is that I am the main breadwinner so finding the right job is crucial for us and I don't want my prejudices to interfere with that! Having been reading the forums with interest I am beginning to think that my initial impressions of Christchurch must have been wrong?! Shock that :eek:

As well as generally good and bad points of both got a few questions :)

- What's the dog walking like if anyone knows (quality of life for the pooch being THE most important thing sad but true :D)
- Is cost of living cheaper in Christchurch than Wellington?
- Southern Alps ski fields are better than North Island I think? (Husband hasn't lived in NZ for ten years so he can't tell me! One of my main motivations for going to NZ is the snowboarding)
- Is Christchuch as dull as I think? I am 31, hubby is 34, no kids yet - we are not wild party animals by any stretch of the imagination but I like a bit of a girl's night on the odd occasion!
- What are schools like & lifestyles for kids? Can't wait to bring kids up in NZ so I guess the outdoorsy element is the same in both places? Planning on a family in the next couple of years so this is kinda important to me :)

Sorry for the long list, would be really great to hear what people think.

Many thanks

pricklykina May 25th 2010 10:50 pm

Re: Wellington or Christchurch?

I don't know nearly enough about either to make a useful comment
However. I prefer Wellington. Sure the weather is worse but the vibe is great.
It's a really neat little city and much less conservative then CHCH. (I don't do conservative)
My daughter has obviously inherited my wellington infatuation as she cried on the plane on the way back (I *sob* love wellington *sob*):wub:

BEVS May 25th 2010 11:04 pm

Same here.
I've only ever been to these cities as a visitor. FWIW we prefer Welly.

luvwelly May 25th 2010 11:09 pm

Wellington - (disclaimer I have only spent 5 days in Christchurch.) I wouldn't agree the weather is better in Christchurch - think Wellington gets more sunshine annually.

Think Wellington has fewer dodgy areas, less crime (in central Wellington at least), more nightlife, cinemas, culture and doesn't feel small and in the middle of nowhere although of course it is. It also has better coffee, cafes and restaurants although Christchurch does have some good ones as well.

If you want flat rather than hilly, Christchurch would win hands down :D.

Skiing at Mount Ruapehu is about a 4 hour drive from Wellington. Christchurch is within easier driving access of more tourist areas but Wellington is well connected flight and ferry wise.

I think going where you have a support network makes it much more likely that you will enjoy it and want to stay longterm.

Robbie2010 May 25th 2010 11:32 pm

One mans meat is another mans poison!

There's nothing wrong with either place but only you can decide which is best.

I wouldn't want to live in either Christchurch or Wellington but if I had to choose it would probably be Welly.

Genesis May 26th 2010 1:37 am

Originally Posted by Robbie2010 (Post 8589889)
One mans meat is another mans poison!

There's nothing wrong with either place but only you can decide which is best.

I wouldn't want to live in either Christchurch or Wellington but if I had to choose it would probably be Welly.

Going from what I have heard Wellington..all day long. That is not to say Christchurch is a bad place at all. I just prefer smaller places..more compact. I get the impression Wellington is that. I guess it also depends if you prefer the South over the North.

Jan n Neil May 26th 2010 4:15 am

I think ChCh would be too quiet for u, if u want a bit of life i would say Welly

Neil

saoghalbeag May 26th 2010 4:50 am

:( I'm trying to make a similar decision!!! Over the past year or so of looking, I've also noticed more jobs in my field in Ch'Ch, but all my Kiwi friends are Northerners.

Can't give any advice on the dog, but as far as kids go, I made my first visit to NZ last year with my 3 yr old (she turned 4 in Queenstown!) and Wellington waterfront was amazing - the museum, playgrounds, great place to wander about etc. I want to live somewhere that the ocean is "obvious", so this really appealed about Welly.

On the other hand, ChCh was flat (as someone else pointed out) and easy to get around - easy for pushbikes etc! and there's the art gallery, museum etc area for kids, plus, as my daughter gets older it feels like there's more 'outdoor adventure' to be had around Ch'Ch - but my Nth Is mates tell me there's plenty up their way as well.

Being a similar age to yourself, I also wonder about Christchurch nightlife - I'm not a party animal but it is nice to know there's some 'craic' available if you need it! But I've found looking at rental and for sale listings that houses seem a lot cheaper down south.

It's a tough call...:confused:

nelsonpom May 26th 2010 5:04 am

Both cities have lots happening but Chch is more like a UK city in my opinion as your more likely to be robbed or see a drunken brawl there. Weather wise Chch prob colder but def less windy and more settled. Great skiing on Sth Island but you can cheaply fly anywhere from welly. One other point the Dali Lama on landing at Chch airport refused to leave the plane as he sensed a bad vibe (!).
For me no choice live in Welly and fly to sth island ski fields in winter. :D

harrogate girl May 26th 2010 5:54 am

Have to say its all down to the job first!

Later when you do start a family you could move up to Wellington if you need to get the help and support from family if you are planning to return to work.
Saying that we do have some good child care in places.

We have lived in the North Island, but for us we like it in Christchurch. We now live a just outside CHCH with good walks for my dog and a short drive to the Beach, bliss some days we have it to our .

Marvel is quite trendy place to have a drink and some good Restaurants plus nice shopping without going in to town (less then 10 in the car).

My brother likes to sky has does his son who is a instructor love Queenstown and Wanaka they tend to fly and pick up a car when they get in at the airport and have even had a camper van to see more of the South island. Like lots of places to live in NZ we have good and bad Locations you will get lots of help on the site.

pricklykina May 26th 2010 6:01 am

LOL at Dalai Lama
Chch gives me the heebeegeebees so seems I'm in good company.
Although perhap he just didn't like the name? :p

crap coffee May 26th 2010 6:26 am

Originally Posted by londonescapee (Post 8589387)
Hi everyone,

I'm in a bit of a dilema. I really really want to move to Wellington
Many thanks

well this is my personal opinion but hope you consider.

I've got a friend (a Kiwi bloke) who works for the Ministry of Health. this guy is an Otago Master graduate, and his girl f is from there as well. He, found his first job at Commerce Commision, and then M of Health, .. so has to stay in Welly with No other choice, however his girl f... got a job in CHCH (also its her first serious job after graduation.. so NO other choice...) - the thing is they both really want to be/live in Welly in the long run as you OP. so what they did? She went for a CHCH job for 2.5 years but he flying down to CHCH to see her every one or two weeks for 2.5 years. ....then....she got a great/better job at a govt dpt in Welly. I met them together recently - they are both happy and finally settled in Welly.

My advise to you is - go to CHCH if you have a chance to get a GOOD job (excel in your career), and after a couple of years, you can always move to Welly. I am not sure what you do, however, I do know, the job market in Welly is tough at the moment and without prefessional relevant/years of experience, its difficult to get a job that you want. You have to be utterly professional. Welly is a tough place to win. honestly, I want to move to other role (investigator), however I am deficient in relevant experience.

If I were you, I'd choose CHCH.

CAN2NZ May 26th 2010 10:21 am

My advice is to tell you to go to Chch on the simpe consideration of the facts you have presented. Practically, you are the main bread winner for your family. We often have to make choices and weigh up the pros and cons. However, when it comes to living in NZ just as anyewher else, one wants to have good career opportunities and and income. I have lived in Chch and worked several weeks a month in Wellington for a few years. I like Wellington downtown and amenities better than Chch and there are a number of local attractions such as the cinema club in Welly and other such things that make it so much nicer than Chch. However, chch has different attributes, but neither city is what I would call beautiful. From the Botanical Gardens Wellington looks like Tel Aviv to me in many ways. Christchurch is a cross between an old town with some quain features and an industrial city that has seen better days. Take the park from Chch and your left with an unappealing city.

To sum up, just go for the job for now, don't be too emotional about where to live right away and make the best decision economically. You can always move in teh future. This doesn't have to be forever.

Good luck, Oh and I have been in Dunedin for six weeks now and must say I am very pleasantly surprised.

Browner_ May 26th 2010 10:36 am

Originally Posted by londonescapee (Post 8589387)
Hi everyone,

I really really want to move to Wellington (brother, sis in law and niece and loads of friends are there and I love it!)....

Problem is that I found Christchurch utterly dull :zzz

and you are considering going to Christchurch? Are you sure, it doesnt sound like youll be very happy there.

Personally, I wouldnt be seen dead living in Christchurch. Coming from a vibrant place like Brighton, I think ChCh will seem like the end of the earth to you.

Wellington has its moments,its an okay place. Its biggest problem is like, well, theres Wellington and nothing else. After a year or two , the walls could come in on you a bit,

What profession are you in?

AH30 May 26th 2010 2:08 pm

- Is Christchuch as dull as I think? I am 31, hubby is 34, no kids yet - we are not wild party animals by any stretch of the imagination but I like a bit of a girl's night on the odd occasion!
I lived in Christchurch for a few years but left about 8 years ago so my opinion is probably somewhat dated. Personally I found Christchurch to have a reasonable night life however you need to remember that Kiwis generally head out later than they do in the UK, so Christchurch can seem to be dead at 10pm when everyone is still at home but comes alive between about midnight and 1am.