Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Where has English Grammar gone?

Where has English Grammar gone?

Old May 24th 2010, 2:59 am
VP - Rangers Support Club

theduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant future
Default Where has English Grammar gone?

It used to just be kids spelling things in text speak but sadly now I find myself doing it and reading through most threads here we are all at it.

I am going to make a stance and not do text speak on any future posts and I urge everyone on here to do the same.

I find it funny that Americans spell some words as they sound and even snear at them for it i.e. color and putting a z in lieu of an s in words like organisation etc.

How lazy have we all become, I sit at night and do my sons/daughters spelling and make them spell every word they get wrong twice may 3 times, but my daughter especially will go straight after and text her friend and do all this text speak, what are we getting ready to be the captains of our industry and to run our world??
Old May 24th 2010, 3:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where has English Grammar gone?

Originally Posted by theduke

I find it funny that Americans spell some words as they sound and even snear at them for it i.e. color and putting a z in lieu of an s in words like organisation etc.

(
Organization is the correct spelling according to the Oxford Dictionary!
Old May 24th 2010, 3:55 am
Forum Regular

NermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really nice

it can be spelt either way correctly.
Old May 24th 2010, 4:20 am
bga
Forum Regular

bga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud of

I can handle text speak (i just typed txt then corrected myself ) in the right context ie when texting as it uses less characters etc, what gets me is when people attempt to spell stuff right but can't (not just spelling mistakes but no idea of different meanings of words that sound the same) ie - instead of "I know" they put "I no" jeez !!, or using "there" when it should be "their" or "they're" or "your" in the context of "I hope your well" ggrrr, or "thats really grate" - the standard of spelling generally is shoddy - using facebook for communication really brings it home - anyhow moan over lol

Last edited by bga; May 24th 2010 at 4:22 am. Reason: spelling mistake :-)
Old May 24th 2010, 4:24 am

theduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Robbie2010
Organization is the correct spelling according to the Oxford Dictionary!
In old English class we were taught "s" it is american to spell it with a "z", see what I mean people think it is ok now and that is the correct way.

The Oxford dictionary you looked at was it an American version via Google per chance?
Old May 24th 2010, 4:26 am

Originally Posted by bga
I can handle text speak (i just typed txt then corrected myself ) in the right context ie when texting as it uses less characters etc, what gets me is when people attempt to spell stuff right but can't (not just spelling mistakes but no idea of different meanings of words that sound the same) ie - instead of "I know" they put "I no" jeez !!, or using "there" when it should be "their" or "they're" or "your" in the context of "I hope your well" ggrrr, or "thats really grate" - the standard of spelling generally is shoddy - using facebook for communication really brings it home - anyhow moan over lol
and thy thk thr gr8 not hvin 2 spell evry wrd
Old May 24th 2010, 4:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond repute

In old English class we were taught "s" it is american to spell it with a "z", see what I mean people think it is ok now and that is the correct way.
Then I'm afraid you were taught wrong!

The Oxford dictionary you looked at was it an American version via Google per chance?
English version .

Also realize. recognize, etc etc. all the correct English spellings.

Last edited by Robbie2010; May 24th 2010 at 5:00 am.
Old May 24th 2010, 5:24 am
bga
Forum Regular

bga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud of

hmm, I'm with the "s" camp on this one, its probably acceptable to spell with both though.. some examples..

it says "organisation" here - http://www.oecd.org/home/0,2987,en_2..._1_1_1,00.html

its says "recognise" here -
http://recognise.noigroup.com/recognise/

and its "realise" here -
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/realise

Last edited by bga; May 24th 2010 at 5:30 am. Reason: another spelling mistake, how embarrasing - just realized it - lol
Old May 24th 2010, 5:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Not the best source but it does inform quite well on this occasion ...

http://www.google.co.nz/url?sa=t&sou...a3UC0BK5t1nrJw

Also, if you get the chance try watching The Adventure of English presented by Melvyn Bragg, it gives a fascinating insight into how English has and still is evolving.

You will then realize that however much you/we may dislike it the English language never stands still.

Last edited by Robbie2010; May 24th 2010 at 5:39 am.
Old May 24th 2010, 6:06 am
bga
Forum Regular

"American spelling accepts only -ize endings in most cases, such as organize, realize, and recognize.[53] British usage accepts both -ize and -ise "

looks like everyones right then eh

English is evolving and always has done, no arguments there, try reading Shakespeare to realise how its changed over the last 400 years or so - or even the original version of something like Dracula to realize the differences over the last 150 years or so (see what i did there with the spellings, did ya )
Old May 24th 2010, 6:40 am
Forum Regular

Trish M is just really niceTrish M is just really niceTrish M is just really niceTrish M is just really niceTrish M is just really niceTrish M is just really niceTrish M is just really niceTrish M is just really nice

My pet hate is when people say, "I should of" instead of, "I should have". It drives me mad!!!!:curse:
Old May 24th 2010, 6:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Why do Kiwi's say ...

"Is this your one or my one?"

and not

"Is this yours or mine?"
Old May 24th 2010, 7:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bga
"American spelling accepts only -ize endings in most cases, such as organize, realize, and recognize.[53] British usage accepts both -ize and -ise "

looks like everyones right then eh
Not quite. ... theduke thought that spelling with a z was American, whereas, it is in fact English!
Old May 24th 2010, 7:44 am
Forum Regular

banshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud of

Spelling things wrong is a pet hate of mine too not that I think I can spell everything and I have difficulty putting 'where and were' in the right context!

I was going through my Son's girlfriends list of items that she has packed and there was an item stated as 'ailments'. I emailed her back and asked what this was as if it was medicine then I dont think it should be shipped.

She got back to me saying it was meant to be 'auniments'!
It then hit me that she meant ornaments!
I didnt know whether to laugh or cry!
Old May 24th 2010, 8:05 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm, well it gives both spellings in our hardcopy Oxford Concise from 1996 - although I must admit I prefer the "s" versions...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.