Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Well my house is back on the market !!!

Well my house is back on the market !!!

Old Jan 5th 2007, 11:14 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Well my house is back on the market !!!

Originally Posted by kiwi_child
I actually think he has a good point here Batty. I'd advise keeping the UK property and renting out to anyone. Mortgage gets paid and you have a home to go back to if things don't work out, or you just feel it's time to return
I know ..... but....... he was just popping up everywhere Sort of like me tonight really
Old Jan 5th 2007, 11:27 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Batty
I know ..... but....... he was just popping up everywhere Sort of like me tonight really
yeh but he's so anti-nz it's just becoming boring lol
Old Jan 5th 2007, 8:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwi_child
I actually think he has a good point here Batty. I'd advise keeping the UK property and renting out to anyone. Mortgage gets paid and you have a home to go back to if things don't work out, or you just feel it's time to return
Thats exactly what we did. Rented my little house out for the first year and then sold it. Rented OH's house out for a couple of months longer, now the sale on that one is going through. We only needed a year to know that we probably wont be going back to UK.... thought initially it would take 2 years or more to decide... we are definately happier here.
Old Jan 5th 2007, 8:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

mick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Burt Badger
Could be a sign from the Gods??????? LOL

In all seriousness why not keep hold of it for a year or so and rent it out? You could then rent a house in NZ and experience the country as it really is?

Always good to have a bolthole to return to if things don't work out.#

Burt
Thanks for the advice, we did think about this at the beginning of the visa process but changed our minds due to the fact we thought it would be an easy out if we were have a bad few weeks. But like you said it may be a sign from God????????
Either way the mortgage is going to be paid for while we are having the best adventure of our lives.

Lynne
Old Jan 5th 2007, 8:45 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Michelle - really sorry to hear your news. Have spoken to an agent here today who said they were set to have their office closed between Christmas & New Year as usually quiet, but it's been very busy the week leading up to Christmas. So they opened 10am-2pm between with one member of staff on for the 3 days and it was manic! This is unusual. Typically it's very busy from May/June to Aug/Sept. Then it'll have a brief pick up again around end of October - November.

We are leaving our house empty and putting it on the market when we leave. This is more to do with having 4 kids, 2 dogs and no cleaner (I don't do cleaning - well I do, but it's a losing battle. "You can admire the dust, but please don't write in it!")

But we have sold our other house and have money in the bank and only have a small mortgage.

With regards to letting a house out whilst you go to NZ, it all depends on finding a good managing agent. That's me - but I'm leaving!!!

As a rough rule of thumb if you're going to be stretched with regards to rent vs mortgage. Allow for the house to be without rent for 2 months out of every 12 (or 1 out of an assured shorthold 6 month tenancy! Dur!!) I.e: You'll have to meet that mortgage repayment out of your own funds!

With regard to estate agents valuations - if you go to www.rightmove.co.uk and register (free) you can look up houses sold within your postcode over the last couple of years and make a comparision.

Phew!!
Old Jan 6th 2007, 9:45 am
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

Just two follow ups.

Michelle, our buyer was one of those dream ones, no chain, first timers, mortgage pre approved. Didn't stop them splitting up though, hence no sale.

Secondly, unfortunately we are a couple who tend to live to our means. Hence, the savings we have are paying for us to get us, the cats and our stuff over. This means that we need the equity of our house to set up in NZ so I don't have the renting out option. We really don't like UK at the minute, and a lot of this is borne out by my working all over the world as an Aircraft engineer, but we can't let the house sale hold us up for ever, so plan A it is.
Old Jan 6th 2007, 5:44 pm
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michelle&Carl
Oooh that IS brave! We're going without PR and selling house hoping it'll work out - don't think I'd want to push my luck and borrow money against it too with no guarantees! Jeez, I hope it sells for you quickly ... we both will get the buyers we need soon, I'm sure!

Thanks for you reply xx

M xx
Is it really that brave? Having taken all the equity (to NZ) out of the house, there is no money to worry about, so 'only' a UK credit history that gets affected if it all goes Pete Tong in NZ and loan or mortgage repayments can't be made!

Good luck to everyone trying to sell houses in 2007.
Old Jan 6th 2007, 6:00 pm
Forum Regular

shaozzy has a spectacular aura aboutshaozzy has a spectacular aura aboutshaozzy has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by hazeandsteve
Sorry to hear your news, our buyers pulled out at the start of December, and we've heard nothing since.
Having waited six months to get nowhere, I decided at work today to borrow against my equity, emigrate, and leave the house to sell.:scared:
(Anyone left the unsold house behind with no intention of returning, please share your experience.)

Can't keep waiting on the new life just 'cos a 3 bed semi is holding us back.
Off to the estate agents and bank on Saturday, good vibes please peeps.
Hi there just to let you know we came out here a year ago with the house unsold. A bloody nightmare to say the least! We lost a lot of money through the mortgage not been paid after telling the mortgage company what was going on! And then hit us with penalties! Unless you are tied to get here on a certain date, I would deffo sell up first and clear your debts. Good luck