Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Are we barking up the right tree here?

Are we barking up the right tree here?

Old Sep 3rd 2015, 8:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are we barking up the right tree here?

Originally Posted by salmoncolour
Thanks. We have asked ourselves and still are. That's why I ask a million questions before deciding to spill £5k into a nice holiday and go "yuck, could have had a cruise for this money".
If we can't afford a nice property, the deal will be off.
I do not need to be financially better off than I am here but I am not moving across the globe to be worse off.
The male salmon should, in theory, get more money there, now it's down to seeing whether the nice, big houses photograph well or are actually that nice.
Sure, but what about work or visa? In most cases people move because they got a good job offer, otherwise it's pretty difficult to settle in New Zealand if you are already above a certain age. What I really have noticed in New Zealand is that houses do photograph well, especially compared to Ireland. In New Zealand they really try to sell you this lifestyle and even the crappiest house will look great on a photo with blue sky etc., because estate agent photographer really seems to be a career. Here they just take a few photos, stick it on a website and say house for sale . At the end of the day you can have a great lifestyle in the UK too and it's up to you how you design your house. I always say that I love New Zealand, but personally I wouldn't have a better lifestyle over there. I'm on an Island, I have a house with decking and covered terrace here, I can go kayaking, fishing, walking etc. and the evenings are just as cold as Wellington, but again you can have an outdoor fire pit in both locations if you have the space. Being in Europe is also a lot cheaper if you want a short break. Booked a nice hotel and off to Spain in a few weeks + it's actually cheaper than staying at home.
Old Sep 3rd 2015, 8:40 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Our latest combined gas and electricity bill was around $220 for the month. We only have two gas fires for heating, no electrical heating.
There's only the two of us and the bill should reduce down once we stop using the gas fire. We haven't been in the house long enough to know what summer bills will be like.
Old Sep 3rd 2015, 9:53 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

well if you are not wanting to do cold and damp housing then you are barking up the wrong tree unless you can afford to buy something that has been either renovated by a expat or a house built in the last few years.

Our first house was renovated by expats so had double glazing through out as well as heat pumps in all bedrooms, well it did end up with all bedrooms once we put one in the main bedroom, lounge room and a wood burner in the family room, unfortunately the area was not what we had hoped it would be. the house we are in now was was built in 2000 had no internal insulation (we had to pay out 3k just to get the bedroom x 3 walls done, the windows are just single glazed (paid out over 6k for the bedrooms windows to be double glazed - which incidentally still get condensation on). it only has a gas fire in the main living room, the other rooms do no have any heating in them.
I have spent many a morning begrudgingly, and truthfully crying, having to wipe down every bloody window in the house, if you miss a few days the mould soon starts up. I walk down the street and see the condensation on many house windows and just cannot believe it.

oh and renovation costs and actually getting it done is frustrating, depressing and very time consuming going by a few friends experiences.
Old Sep 3rd 2015, 9:56 am
Forum Regular

salmoncolour is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Reylan
From our own experience, we do like living in NZ. We did huge amounts of research before we came and had a 3 week visit to some areas to investigate things 'on the ground' so to speak.
This is our plan too.
Great to hear you are liking it. Where did you settle if it's ok to ask?

As other posters have said, moving to another country is very objective and the reasons are very varied. Yes, it may not work out but if you do your homework you stand a better chance than not.

Yes, grocery shopping is more expensive than the UK. Yes, the housing is different and I would advocate renting for a time for a number of reasons (no rates, no house insurance, check the area/s). But, we knew all this before we came so no big shock.
I can't say I am excited at this prospect but yes, well aware of it.

The weather is better than where we lived in the UK but this was not a prime reason for us (although warmer winters are a bonus...
Ditto. Not our main reason either but would help (or be an added extra if you wish). I've cut the end of the quote as I do like snow. Love skiing and would LOVE to teach the kids.

All in all, we have been very lucky. I amazed my OH by taking up fishing, kayaking, walking - none of which I did in the UK. Not really sure why???

Again, as many posters have said, the decision is yours alone and no one else's experience will cut it. All I an say is the best of luck with what you decide.
Brilliant!
I wouldn't mind kayaking myself.
Thank you!!!
Old Sep 3rd 2015, 9:58 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
we came from the borders of Kent and SE London.
Our bill for the last month gas and electric was $475.44 and we only have one gas fire. previous month was $394.58 (they mucked up the bill, as usual) and before that $513.89.
Thank you!
That's a bit higher than I previously found...
Are you at home a lot or is the house very big?
Old Sep 3rd 2015, 10:00 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jparsons
Unfortunately I would say that in general NZ is about 10% costlier South England
That doesn't sound too promising.
Old Sep 3rd 2015, 10:02 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jparsons
We are a family of 4 and pay about 280$ a month, so sounds spot on
Brilliant!
How well insulated is your house?
This will be one of the big things for me, I need to be able to afford a well insulated, warm and dry house otherwise I am opting out.
Old Sep 3rd 2015, 10:05 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Sure, but what about work or visa? In most cases people move because they got a good job offer, otherwise it's pretty difficult to settle in New Zealand if you are already above a certain age. What I really have noticed in New Zealand is that houses do photograph well, especially compared to Ireland. In New Zealand they really try to sell you this lifestyle and even the crappiest house will look great on a photo with blue sky etc., because estate agent photographer really seems to be a career. Here they just take a few photos, stick it on a website and say house for sale . At the end of the day you can have a great lifestyle in the UK too and it's up to you how you design your house. I always say that I love New Zealand, but personally I wouldn't have a better lifestyle over there. I'm on an Island, I have a house with decking and covered terrace here, I can go kayaking, fishing, walking etc. and the evenings are just as cold as Wellington, but again you can have an outdoor fire pit in both locations if you have the space. Being in Europe is also a lot cheaper if you want a short break. Booked a nice hotel and off to Spain in a few weeks + it's actually cheaper than staying at home.
Thank you!
Hahaha, I've met a few agents here who weren't sure how to use the cameras given by the agency (DSLR's).
Old Sep 3rd 2015, 10:06 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Persephone
Our latest combined gas and electricity bill was around $220 for the month. We only have two gas fires for heating, no electrical heating.
There's only the two of us and the bill should reduce down once we stop using the gas fire. We haven't been in the house long enough to know what summer bills will be like.
Thank you! Sounds good.
Old Sep 3rd 2015, 10:10 am

MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you!
That's a bit higher than I previously found...
Are you at home a lot or is the house very big?
nope it has 3 bedrooms - no heating
one gas fire in the main living room
no heating in the kids play room or the office.
2 bathrooms no heating
is connected to mains gas, be aware some places do no have mains gas and you may have to have a cylinder, with renewals and hire costs
and electricity and we have a infinity boiler so we get instant hot water.
Old Sep 3rd 2015, 10:14 am
Forum Regular

well if you are not wanting to do cold and damp housing then you are barking up the wrong tree unless you can afford to buy something that has been either renovated by a expat or a house built in the last few years.
Totally true - the move will be off if we can't afford an insulated house.

Our first house was renovated by expats so had double glazing through out as well as heat pumps in all bedrooms, well it did end up with all bedrooms once we put one in the main bedroom, lounge room and a wood burner in the family room, unfortunately the area was not what we had hoped it would be. the house we are in now was was built in 2000 had no internal insulation (we had to pay out 3k just to get the bedroom x 3 walls done, the windows are just single glazed (paid out over 6k for the bedrooms windows to be double glazed - which incidentally still get condensation on). it only has a gas fire in the main living room, the other rooms do no have any heating in them.
I have spent many a morning begrudgingly, and truthfully crying, having to wipe down every bloody window in the house, if you miss a few days the mould soon starts up. I walk down the street and see the condensation on many house windows and just cannot believe it.

oh and renovation costs and actually getting it done is frustrating, depressing and very time consuming going by a few friends experiences.
Aww, I am sorry to hear that and I know exactly what you mean. We lived in one like that here and never again.
All our clothes, beds were freezing cold in the summer (constantly damp). We couldn't use salt; it wasn't just all stuck together (with about half a kilo of rice in!) but the cardboard was constantly soaked.

Can I ask which neighbourhood it was that you didn't like?
I am looking at loads of them, trying to find ones that are slightly cheaper but still nice so any info would help.
Old Sep 3rd 2015, 10:19 am
Forum Regular

nope it has 3 bedrooms - no heating
one gas fire in the main living room
no heating in the kids play room or the office.
2 bathrooms no heating
is connected to mains gas, be aware some places do no have mains gas and you may have to have a cylinder, with renewals and hire costs
and electricity and we have a infinity boiler so we get instant hot water.
:/
Is that enough to keep it warm?
I am guessing you've bought this house?
It doesn't sound like you are living the dream... Would you come back (can you come back)?
Old Sep 3rd 2015, 10:22 am

to be honest looking at area's at the moment won't really benefit you as you need to get offered a job first. when we started looking we thought about Auckland and a lot of my research was around there. wasn't until a job offer came in that that all changed as the job was in Wellington.

think you need to be concentrating on gaining a job offer for the right money - some visa's have salary requirements on them, and going from there, what you can afford to live on in say Wellington may not afford you to live in Auckland so if your only job offer is in Auckland you need to redo sums.
Old Sep 3rd 2015, 10:31 am

:/
Is that enough to keep it warm?
I am guessing you've bought this house?
It doesn't sound like you are living the dream... Would you come back (can you come back)?
No it doesn't heat the house, but hey just have to go to Bunnings and buy a can of Harden up (kiwi saying). Yes this is our second house, lost money on the first.
No my day to day life was much better in the UK and yes if we could afford it I would go back, husband would go back begrudgingly and kids will do as they are told. But I am aware that if/when we do go back we will not be going back to what we had and would be starting all over again and we just cannot afford it, hard enough affording a week away around the Island itself.
Do I regret coming here with all that we had worked for in the UK and with what we had and what we could afford to do, 80% of the time -Yes, at the moment, I do. been here since Jan 2012, re-evaluating in 2017.
Old Sep 3rd 2015, 10:32 am
Forum Regular

to be honest looking at area's at the moment won't really benefit you as you need to get offered a job first. when we started looking we thought about Auckland and a lot of my research was around there. wasn't until a job offer came in that that all changed as the job was in Wellington.

think you need to be concentrating on gaining a job offer for the right money - some visa's have salary requirements on them, and going from there, what you can afford to live on in say Wellington may not afford you to live in Auckland so if your only job offer is in Auckland you need to redo sums.
I've done a few months' research to narrow it down to Wellington, this is what my heart is set on for various reasons, so the job needs to be here(ish).
I am looking at all aspects of life there (painfully methodical perfectionist) to make sure all the pieces of the puzzle would fit as if I can't afford the area in the zone I need, we'll stay.
Ultimately, we are not unhappy here but we just need a few more things to make life perfect so if we can't get it all from NZ, we may as well stay here, save a few thousand pounds and go on a heck of a holiday instead.

So for us, luckily, it's not a desperate need. We can go either way, we are just trying to see if NZ is better than what we have here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.