Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Are we barking up the right tree here?

Are we barking up the right tree here?

Old Sep 3rd 2015, 12:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are we barking up the right tree here?

Originally Posted by BEVS
I don't really get the outdoors thing. If someone won't 'do' outdoors in the UK then why would it be different here really, unless it is just the mindset. Quite often it does seem to come down to proximity to coastline or countryside, rather than anything else, although weather is often given as a reason. However, our friends and family over the UK seem to be able to enjoy the outdoors without issue & do not seem to be continuously under a grey cloud of drizzle.
But that is because you came from the south coast of England, if you lived in the NE of Scotland then you would have a different opinion. The weather was the greatest pull to New Zealand for me. I had shorts in Scotland, I remember one weekend when it was nice enough to put them on and I went off to the village shop to much amusement and cries of "och, look he has shorts on, he he!" Here I wear shorts 9 months of the year at home and 6 months of the year to work.
Old Sep 3rd 2015, 12:38 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Whether you can find what you want in NZ may well depend on what job you do and where in NZ you are. This will be dependent on any job offers you get and you may not have a choice as to where you go - you may have to accept any job offer and factor in moving within NZ once established. Time is not on your side unfortunately.

The weather depends on your preferences. Most people seem to like hot weather, that would be absolute hell for me, I'm happiest at around 12-15C and not too bright and sunny. Am I the only person who prefers winter?

Housing is something to investigate, you may be able to find somewhere relatively cheap to buy but you do have to look at what you're getting for that. You could end up regretting the decision very quickly when you're living in a cold, damp, uninsulated house.
Have you ever visited NZ?

It is hard to answer some of your questions as a lot will depend on personal preference. I like it here in NZ but I also liked living in the UK and would have no problems with moving back. Have you considered moving to a different part of the UK if you want a change?

Might be worth searching for cost of living threads on here and doing some research into your expected salary levels.

I'm don't mean this to sound negative
Old Sep 3rd 2015, 12:49 am
Forum Regular

Reylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to all

From our own experience, we do like living in NZ. We did huge amounts of research before we came and had a 3 week visit to some areas to investigate things 'on the ground' so to speak.

As other posters have said, moving to another country is very objective and the reasons are very varied. Yes, it may not work out but if you do your homework you stand a better chance than not.

Yes, grocery shopping is more expensive than the UK. Yes, the housing is different and I would advocate renting for a time for a number of reasons (no rates, no house insurance, check the area/s). But, we knew all this before we came so no big shock.

The weather is better than where we lived in the UK but this was not a prime reason for us (although warmer winters are a bonus - I hate snow).

All in all, we have been very lucky. I amazed my OH by taking up fishing, kayaking, walking - none of which I did in the UK. Not really sure why???

Again, as many posters have said, the decision is yours alone and no one else's experience will cut it. All I an say is the best of luck with what you decide.
Old Sep 3rd 2015, 2:33 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Woodlea
But that is because you came from the south coast of England, if you lived in the NE of Scotland then you would have a different opinion. The weather was the greatest pull to New Zealand for me. I had shorts in Scotland, I remember one weekend when it was nice enough to put them on and I went off to the village shop to much amusement and cries of "och, look he has shorts on, he he!" Here I wear shorts 9 months of the year at home and 6 months of the year to work.
Wot . No kilt !

Perhaps the villagers of yon were bedazzled by your stonking hairy white legs then.

Seriously. For myself perhaps but our family and pals span the UK . Some are in Aberdeen even & they all share the liking for fell walking , climbing and canoeing. Weather doesn't seem to factor.
Old Sep 3rd 2015, 6:07 am
Forum Regular

salmoncolour is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you so much for your honest and straight forward reply. It's too easy sometimes to fall for the pretty, green picture you get online but the reality of how far and remote it really is can't sink in until you are there, I suppose.

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
schools here are different and my personal experience is they are not as good as UK schools. weather is more extreme, housing is shocking. The "she'll be right" attitude is frustrating.
Oooh, fingers and toes crossed, I do hope we wouldn't think the same. Where in the UK did you live if it's ok to ask?
We are up north (not that it makes a difference) and the weather can be quite bad here.
South of UK would be an option for us was it not for money...

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
Kids quickly get over a visit to the beach, lots of sports are seasonal - again very frustrating. my kids actually do less here than the UK because of the seasonal factor and the fact that some things are just to far away.
we are monetary and on a day to day worse off than we were in the UK.

Hind sight would of seen us trying a different part of the UK, far less dramatic, costly and still with family contact.
This is why we don't go to as many activities here - distance. :/ One of the reasons I thought NZ would be better.
Also for my nature/animal loving child.
Old Sep 3rd 2015, 6:12 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jparsons
Well we moved from semi-urban UK (outskirts of London, just outside the M25 in Surrey) to the eastern bays in Auckland. As a general feel I believe that NZ is has a more pleasant and relaxed vibe about even in its largest city.

Luckily for us fees for private education are paid for by work so there is no issues regarding quality of education. There definitely vere some very good state school options availible to us also, e.g. auckland grammar. I'm sure you can find something similar in Wellington but bear in mind of the zoning system as that will be a crucial factor regarding admission.

In terms of general cost of living:

Groceries are about 10% more expensive. Eating out in restaraunts is cheaper. TV,phone and broadband are hideously expensive here. There is no council tax to worry about but gas and electricity are more expensive.
Thank you! I am afraid our finances wouldn't cover private education but I am very much liking the sound of some colleges in Wellington (yes, thank you, I am aware of the zones ).

Oooh that sounds good for us. We love eating out and I don't watch the telly.
How bad is the electricity when it comes to winter months? I found some estimates of around $250 - $400 per month, would you say this was realistic?
Old Sep 3rd 2015, 6:14 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Purrball
I suspect you might find yourself unpleasantly surprised.
Maybe but I've been comparing wind strength recently, predicted and reported and ours (in the middle of summer) is about the same as Welly (in the middle of winter) so I figure overall it has to be at least the same-ish if not better.
Old Sep 3rd 2015, 6:20 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

we came from the borders of Kent and SE London.
Our bill for the last month gas and electric was $475.44 and we only have one gas fire. previous month was $394.58 (they mucked up the bill, as usual) and before that $513.89.
Old Sep 3rd 2015, 6:26 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BEVS
As the OP has noted, no-one can really guide with this, only give of their own NZ life(style) experiences.

Over the years I have come to think that those whose eyes are firmly set to emigrate to A N Other country , will do so regardless of what cautionary tales may be told & really, why not.

From reading the opening post and having been around BE for donkeys years, my first thought was that the family should look to tweak that which they are dis-satisfied with where they currently are.

I'm not sure what is meant by a 'decent' house nor if the OP is serious about a 30yr mortgage from age 55.

Weather does seem to feature quite heavily, however you don't come to NZ for the weather. With Wellington there will certainly be weather . The NZ sun is merciless & year round precautions are sensible, especially for children.

JParsons is not paying rates so may well be renting. For those owning their own homes, there will be rates, water rates & rubbish collections to pay.

There are school 'donations' here .

I don't really get the outdoors thing. If someone won't 'do' outdoors in the UK then why would it be different here really, unless it is just the mindset. Quite often it does seem to come down to proximity to coastline or countryside, rather than anything else, although weather is often given as a reason. However, our friends and family over the UK seem to be able to enjoy the outdoors without issue & do not seem to be continuously under a grey cloud of drizzle.

Still. If one feels the pull for adventure and the mind and body willing, then why not.
Thank you, Bevs. As always, there are a few personal issues that have to come into equation but yes, we've tried to tweak within the UK and the elements missing appear to be ones we can find in NZ (we hope).
We are outdoorsy people here too (yes, I totally agree that if you are not an outdoorsy person, NZ (or any other green country) won't suddenly change it) but say, for instance, this summer we didn't have any nice, warm nights when we could have friends over for bbq and wine. We had the heating on a few times through June and July and when we didn't, it was mainly lashing down. The last few days are looking like autumn already. :/ Last winter the heating was on for about 9 months!
I suppose it depends on where you are as well (within the UK as much as NZ) and how close the activities/walks/nature can be...
Old Sep 3rd 2015, 6:28 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Woodlea
Sounds familiar. The male salmon colour insists on wearing t-shirts at 14 degrees purely to show the world he owns some as higher temperatures tend to stay here for very limited periods of time (say 2 or 3 hours).
Old Sep 3rd 2015, 6:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by salmoncolour

If scenery was the main reason, we'd stay where we are.
Just think you really need to ask yourself why it's New Zealand and especially Wellington if weather is so important for you. Wellington can be very windy and actually gets the same amount of rain as we do here on the West coast of Ireland (Just saying). You have more sun, but it is also cold in the evenings and if you can't afford a nice property there, what have you really gained? What about Visa etc.?
Old Sep 3rd 2015, 7:11 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Persephone
Whether you can find what you want in NZ may well depend on what job you do and where in NZ you are. This will be dependent on any job offers you get and you may not have a choice as to where you go - you may have to accept any job offer and factor in moving within NZ once established. Time is not on your side unfortunately.
Very true, it's not. :/

The weather depends on your preferences. Most people seem to like hot weather, that would be absolute hell for me, I'm happiest at around 12-15C and not too bright and sunny. Am I the only person who prefers winter?
Absolutely. We've chosen NZ mainly based of the children's preferences and climate/opportunities.

Housing is something to investigate, you may be able to find somewhere relatively cheap to buy but you do have to look at what you're getting for that. You could end up regretting the decision very quickly when you're living in a cold, damp, uninsulated house.
Have you ever visited NZ?
We've done cold and damp once - never again. That is one thing we cannot stand therefore we'd need to make sure we can afford insulated.
Not yet, hoping to go soon.

It is hard to answer some of your questions as a lot will depend on personal preference. I like it here in NZ but I also liked living in the UK and would have no problems with moving back. Have you considered moving to a different part of the UK if you want a change?
Yes, we like it here too, to a certain extent but there are a few pieces missing.
Yes, been there, tried that, ticked many boxes.

Might be worth searching for cost of living threads on here and doing some research into your expected salary levels.

I'm don't mean this to sound negative
As many, I've discovered that most employers don't advertise salaries but managed to find a few recently reported for the male salmon's job: one was $65k, the other $70k.
Going by some figures I found online, allowing around $200 per week for food, I came down to being able to afford around $2500 per month on rent. Not a huge amount but hopefully the houses advertised on trademe for that price don't just photograph well.

It does not sound negative at all, don't worry. I am very thankful for any advice/opinions/experiences.
I tend to research things to death so any info I can get is very useful.
Old Sep 3rd 2015, 7:15 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Just think you really need to ask yourself why it's New Zealand and especially Wellington if weather is so important for you. Wellington can be very windy and actually gets the same amount of rain as we do here on the West coast of Ireland (Just saying). You have more sun, but it is also cold in the evenings and if you can't afford a nice property there, what have you really gained? What about Visa etc.?
Thanks. We have asked ourselves and still are. That's why I ask a million questions before deciding to spill £5k into a nice holiday and go "yuck, could have had a cruise for this money".
If we can't afford a nice property, the deal will be off.
I do not need to be financially better off than I am here but I am not moving across the globe to be worse off.
The male salmon should, in theory, get more money there, now it's down to seeing whether the nice, big houses photograph well or are actually that nice.
Old Sep 3rd 2015, 7:46 am
Just Joined

jparsons is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you so much for your honest and straight forward reply. It's too easy sometimes to fall for the pretty, green picture you get online but the reality of how far and remote it really is can't sink in until you are there, I suppose.

Oooh, fingers and toes crossed, I do hope we wouldn't think the same. Where in the UK did you live if it's ok to ask?
We are up north (not that it makes a difference) and the weather can be quite bad here.
South of UK would be an option for us was it not for money...

This is why we don't go to as many activities here - distance. :/ One of the reasons I thought NZ would be better.
Also for my nature/animal loving child.
Unfortunately I would say that in general NZ is about 10% costlier South England
Old Sep 3rd 2015, 7:55 am
Just Joined

jparsons is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you! I am afraid our finances wouldn't cover private education but I am very much liking the sound of some colleges in Wellington (yes, thank you, I am aware of the zones ).

Oooh that sounds good for us. We love eating out and I don't watch the telly.
How bad is the electricity when it comes to winter months? I found some estimates of around $250 - $400 per month, would you say this was realistic?
We are a family of 4 and pay about 280$ a month, so sounds spot on

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.