Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Are we barking up the right tree here?

Are we barking up the right tree here?

Old Sep 4th 2015, 9:59 am
Forum Regular

salmoncolour is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Are we barking up the right tree here?

Originally Posted by moving2NZ2013
If I had all the things you had in uk I'd have never come over here. I guess it's a choice only you can make.
Sorry, a bit confused - is this comment meant for me?
Never really a good idea to judge what people have/don't have or what they ought to be content with.
Old Sep 4th 2015, 10:12 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by salmoncolour
Sorry, a bit confused - is this comment meant for me?
Never really a good idea to judge what people have/don't have or what they ought to be content with.
err think they were replying to this you posted in the OP

We have a nice life in the UK. Decent standard of life, we can't ask for much more. We are generally happy here but.
Old Sep 4th 2015, 10:28 am
Forum Regular

Everyone has their own standards, priorities, wishes...trying to judge what you "would do if you were someone else" is quite a pointless exercise, don't you think?
If one was perfectly happy somewhere (is there such a thing?), would they be considering spending thousands of pounds to go somewhere else?
On the other hand, my definition of "a nice life" will probably be quite different from yours and that is just one part of the whole picture...
Old Sep 4th 2015, 10:53 am
Nz

moving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Wow defensive much.
You said you are generally happy and couldn't want much more so I don't see why I can't compare me being generally happy and not wanting much more.

The reasons you listed to move. Those were my reasons for coming to Nz. I guess maybe think of the things you won't have here or will lack.

I'd definately Reasearch the education here before you start the visa process. That's something that concerns me.

The out door sports are great dependin where you are.
The scenery is pretty amazing

Last edited by moving2NZ2013; Sep 4th 2015 at 11:02 am.
Old Sep 4th 2015, 11:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Wow defensive much.
You said you are generally happy and couldn't want much more so I don't see why I can't compare me being generally happy and not wanting much more.

The reasons you listed to move. Those were my reasons for coming to Nz. I guess maybe think of the things you won't have here or will lack.

I'd definately Reasearch the education here before you start the visa process. That's something that concerns me.

The out door sports are great dependin where you are.
The scenery is pretty amazing
I suppose we all have different reasons for moving, but MrsFychan is a good example that you don't always get what you wish for by moving to a different country. If you are young it's pretty easy to start over again, but I would be very careful moving to New Zealand at the age of 55, unless money isn't an issue. You can find nice scenery anywhere and if you want outdoor living, it can also be done in the UK/Europe. I wouldn't mind living in Falmouth and reckon I could have more of an outdoor life there compared to Auckland or Wellington. It always comes down to work, security and what you can get for your money, but there are probably easier options close by. Apart from little things, it's always the same: You have buildings, you have roads, you have people. If someone has a good life where they are, it might be better to plant some fern and palm trees in the garden, rather than moving across the globe. I know people always say that you should move before you regret it, but I'm in my 30's and will probably never fly to the moon, so what
Old Sep 4th 2015, 12:02 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Moses2013
I suppose we all have different reasons for moving
That's what it all comes down to, isn't it.
What's good enough for one, might be totally rubbish to another. We all have different standards.

There was someone on another board recently claiming that a wage most mere mortals can only dream of is insufficient as it does not provide them with a good life. We live, in my view very comfortably, on 1/10 of that.
Depends where your priorities lie, doesn't it?

No need to be defensive, I am just not a big fan of generalisations or guesses along the "if I were you" lines.
Thanks for your input.

Anyways, back on the subject, things are starting to fall into place beautifully. Some interest in the male, possibility of job offer for me, a few bits of good news regarding finances and on the whole, it's looking really good.

Last edited by salmoncolour; Sep 4th 2015 at 12:09 pm.
Old Sep 4th 2015, 1:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

Very true, it's not. :/

Absolutely. We've chosen NZ mainly based of the children's preferences and climate/opportunities.

We've done cold and damp once - never again. That is one thing we cannot stand therefore we'd need to make sure we can afford insulated.
Not yet, hoping to go soon.

Yes, we like it here too, to a certain extent but there are a few pieces missing.
Yes, been there, tried that, ticked many boxes.

As many, I've discovered that most employers don't advertise salaries but managed to find a few recently reported for the male salmon's job: one was $65k, the other $70k.
Going by some figures I found online, allowing around $200 per week for food, I came down to being able to afford around $2500 per month on rent. Not a huge amount but hopefully the houses advertised on trademe for that price don't just photograph well.

It does not sound negative at all, don't worry. I am very thankful for any advice/opinions/experiences.
I tend to research things to death so any info I can get is very useful.
With that level of salary & outgoing, you won't be eating out very often.
Old Sep 4th 2015, 1:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mickey_d
Not only that, but this would also make me worry:
We've done cold and damp once - never again.

People moving to Wellington for a so called better climate really need to do their homework, if they want to avoid cold and damp. I said it before, but Wellington gets more rainfall than Dublin in Ireland and you have roughly the same amount of rainy days. Even when it comes to daily mean temps, Wellington is not warmer than London. It will actually even feel colder due to the wind.
Old Sep 4th 2015, 2:29 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mickey_d
Ah. Thanks. I was hoping I wouldn't have to work straight away but that can be changed.
Old Sep 4th 2015, 2:32 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Not only that, but this would also make me worry:
We've done cold and damp once - never again.

People moving to Wellington for a so called better climate really need to do their homework, if they want to avoid cold and damp. I said it before, but Wellington gets more rainfall than Dublin in Ireland and you have roughly the same amount of rainy days. Even when it comes to daily mean temps, Wellington is not warmer than London. It will actually even feel colder due to the wind.
Thank you. Yes, cold and damp is definitely one thing we want to stay clear of (when it comes to housing) so finances will play an important role in this one.

Back to the drawing board to compare rain.
London temps are more than good for us though. We are not very picky.
Old Sep 4th 2015, 7:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Spacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you. Yes, cold and damp is definitely one thing we want to stay clear of (when it comes to housing) so finances will play an important role in this one.

London temps are more than good for us though. We are not very picky.
I thought originally you were after peoples views?
We had far more and worse as in heavier rain in NZ.
We came after much research etc and the driving force to leave amongst other things was the standard of education.
Everyone has their own opinion, but its better to have been told the bad things than brush over them and find yourselves stuck there.
Old Sep 4th 2015, 8:19 pm
Nz

moving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spacecake799
I thought originally you were after peoples views?
We had far more and worse as in heavier rain in NZ.
We came after much research etc and the driving force to leave amongst other things was the standard of education.
Everyone has their own opinion, but its better to have been told the bad things than brush over them and find yourselves stuck there.
I think that's the thing. People who are determined to come out have set their own ideas about the place and are going to move regardless. We were exactly the same. I came across what I thought was negative people on here, bitter people.
No they are being honest.
I love nz as a country ie the scenery. But we got a shock when we come here mainly with issues we had never even thought would b a big deal.

I guess you'll do what you'll do and regardless of what anyone advises you need to find out for yourself. All I'm saying the grass isn't always greener. It's frightening just how many expats feel trapped here financially as they can't afford to go back.

Wish you all the very best in whatever you do x

Last edited by moving2NZ2013; Sep 4th 2015 at 8:22 pm.
Old Sep 4th 2015, 10:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

I think that's the thing. People who are determined to come out have set their own ideas about the place and are going to move regardless. We were exactly the same. I came across what I thought was negative people on here, bitter people.
No they are being honest.
I love nz as a country ie the scenery. But we got a shock when we come here mainly with issues we had never even thought would b a big deal.

I guess you'll do what you'll do and regardless of what anyone advises you need to find out for yourself. All I'm saying the grass isn't always greener. It's frightening just how many expats feel trapped here financially as they can't afford to go back.

Quite, I have certainly seen a big turnaround and quite surprised by your views lately and I do remember you having a very glossy view of how life would be here and how you could manage on very little. I think all the research in the world cannot prepare you for the real life experience; the view from the UK is often a very defensive one blocking out the 'real' issues and being very gung-ho about how resilient one is to what can seem, from afar, to be quite trivial first world problems of a whinging pom.

The OP posed a question:

I know it's impossible to say how another person will find something but any opinions will be very much appreciated

Has received an opinion which said 'If I had all the things you had in uk I'd have never come over here. I guess it's a choice only you can make.'

And now seemingly Salmoncolour did not wish to receive this kind of opinion.

I guess if you had come across with a more positive 'Yes, come on over the scenery is lovely and you can live quite happily and comfortably on $70k' - then all would be marvellous and your opinion would have been most welcome and valid. LOL
Old Sep 4th 2015, 11:55 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

its just not the amount of rain its the force it comes down in, floods, landslips, bridge failures, the trains into Wellington not running, the one road heading North out of Wellington being closed so cut off. last rain fall, think it was last month, saw me not seeing my OH for 2 days as he could just not get home, and many were in the same situation in Wellington and surrounding areas. Just glad the kids were not at school when it started and the schools were sensibly closed for the following day.
Think storm of the 1980's in UK, that could be classed as normal here.
lucky that time we didn't lose the electrics as we don't have a wood burner here and the portable gas heater is somewhere in the garage

Last edited by MrsFychan; Sep 5th 2015 at 12:16 am.
Old Sep 5th 2015, 1:09 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

You will need an enormous deposit to buy a house on a salary of $70k. I can't recall if you said you were able to buy outright? If so, you will be fine

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.