British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   WAIN (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/wain-858162/)

MrsFychan May 13th 2015 9:34 pm

WAIN

Flooding, slips cut link between Wellington and Kapiti Coast | Stuff.co.nz

landslips, road and school closures, accidents and more rain to come.

so our poor New Caledonia student will not get her promised visit to Te Papa this afternoon

an not sure I will get MrF back from the CBD any time soon

BEVS May 13th 2015 10:00 pm

Re: WAIN

Crikey ! Our Rocks Road gets like that after heavy rains.

It's black out there right now.

MrsFychan May 14th 2015 2:50 am

so they have closed Wellington station plus the state highways out, so anyone in Wellington won't be going anywhere in a hurry

MrsFychan May 14th 2015 2:57 am

Evacuations after heavy rain, floods and slips in Wellington region: Live blog | Stuff.co.nz

and there is more to come along with high winds

LauraNotts May 14th 2015 5:57 am

Just popped on here to wish you all well from dahn sahf :( stay well and look after each other.

Snap Shot May 14th 2015 6:46 am

Hello Mrs Fychan - I've been thinking of you as I was hearing the news bulletins about the landslip and the flooding on the Kapiti Coast today.

Hope you are all ok and your husband is ok too. Even though he has an enforced night in a hotel in the capital tonight. I understand nearly all the hotel rooms are booked tonight because of the flooding. There's no trains or rail replacement buses either. Just as well as SH 1 is closed or down to single lane.

Is there any flooding where you live ?

MrsFychan May 14th 2015 7:07 am

thanks SnapShot, MrF has been in the CBD since Tuesday night was due home today so feeling a bit lost without him to nag.

We personally are ok in the house, friend down the road has a stepped garden and her lower section is now a swimming pool. another friend in Param also has a small pond forming and creeping towards her back door but hopefully it won't get in, unlike some very unlucky souls who woke up to flooding in their homes.

Its a shame this week has been so bad, college has had a student exchange, students from New Caledonia, and they have had a really awful week, we had planned to take our student into Welly today, do Te Papa and the waterfront but obviously that was not possible so poor girl hasn't seen anything of the Wellington region.

DennisBergkamp May 14th 2015 7:12 am

Tried to drive in this morning from Para but got turned back in Paekak
Usually take the train - been home all day now

Doubt i'll make it in tomorrow as trains out till 12noon minimum and roads will be a mess

Still chucking it down now - house is ok for now. Garden is a soggy mess. Road is ok too but some round the corner have a lot of surface flooding.

I got lucky by being turned back, would hate to be stuck in Welly. I know no one to stay with!

RobClubley May 14th 2015 10:47 am

It has been a bit wild! Glad we're near the top of a hill. Storm drains were overloaded, 40cm or so of water in central Tawa.
Hope everyone's safe.

Pollyana May 14th 2015 3:59 pm

Hope all you guys are doing ok; three of us at work in Queensland's emergency services just reading all the details here, including a tornado in Mount Maunganui, and reports of one man drowned :(
Looks pretty bad, we hope you all stay safe.

bearskin May 14th 2015 7:07 pm

I can't believe the capital city on NZ is cut off from the rest of the country - what an appalling situation..

If this is what happens with some bad storms, does make me wonder what would happen in an earthquake? I assume anyone living in the Wellywood region has watched "Aftershock" - a film on that subject.

MrsFychan May 14th 2015 7:59 pm

I was thinking the same about an earthquake. utter chaos and the new roadway they are building I am sure would of been blocked as well so if you are in Wellington if anything happens you are more than likely be completely cut off. I asked MrF what he would do and he said the would change into some walking gear and walk home. the fact thats its nearly 60km didn't phase him.

BEVS May 14th 2015 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by bearskin (Post 11646141)
I can't believe the capital city on NZ is cut off from the rest of the country - what an appalling situation..

I know. Mr BEVS and I chatted about this very same thing last evening.

janiejones May 15th 2015 7:10 am

Been thinking about you guys up the coast. I couldn't get back easily last night, so stayed with friends in Wellington. I was worried about our house, we live next to the Hutt river stopbank, but the river didn't breach thankfully. I keep an emergency backpack under my desk, so took that with me.

Charismatic May 15th 2015 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by MrsFychan (Post 11646194)
the fact thats its nearly 60km didn't phase him.

It'd still be a good days walk!

I probably have enough at work to keep going for a couple of days but after that would need to find a decent offy :unsure:.

DennisBergkamp May 16th 2015 2:53 am

Friday was ok.I drove in and there was no traffic. Parked at stadium too.

Trains back up and running for now

They need Transmission Gully asap. And a whole bunch of other roads! Carve up the farms and build the highways!

MrsFychan Jan 27th 2016 8:35 pm

not so much as wain but wind.
haven't slept for the last two nights, howling winds and whistling.cracking windows does not make things pleasant

Kotare Jan 28th 2016 12:33 am

Originally Posted by MrsFychan (Post 11850571)
not so much as wain but wind.
haven't slept for the last two nights, howling winds and whistling.cracking windows does not make things pleasant

Got about 40mm of rain in a hour or so on Tues night, truly monsoonal. It moved the 2 cu m of gravel I put on the drive on Monday to the bottom of the hill, now moving it back :-)

MrsFychan Apr 22nd 2016 11:38 pm

glad I didn't put the washing out, as that downpour would of hurt getting it back in again. seriously need to get our fingers out and sort out where we are going to be putting the panel heaters in the kids rooms and source one for ours as autumn is truly making itself known.

Stormer999 Apr 22nd 2016 11:47 pm

Our one big failure in Chch is lack of rain. Being so dry can present it's own problems. Grass seed down a few clouds get the hose pipe out again ;)

MrsFychan May 5th 2016 12:12 am

2 Attachment(s)
So some of the Northern regions of Wellington has had really bad flooding with a number of roads closed. Please take care out there

Live: Flooding hits parts of Wellington, Porirua | Stuff.co.nz

this happened all in a few hours

Bo-Jangles May 5th 2016 10:19 am

Oh dear .... flashback to just a few weeks ago

Spoiler:

Originally Posted by KOH2 (Post 11889836)

I hope there aren't any drainage issues associated with the heavy rainfall. We've sometimes had surface flooding in our town due to drains not being able to cope:(

Stormer999 May 27th 2016 8:52 pm

At long last Chch gets some.....:thumbup:

MrsFychan Jul 3rd 2016 4:16 am

last weekend, this was after about 1/2 hr downfall. more came

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/320890/MOV_0340.mp4

scrubbedexpat094 Aug 1st 2016 5:55 am

Anyone else fed up of all the Wain? I know I am :nod: and I was away all of June. There's moss growing everywhere in the garden, never had it all down the drive as well. Yes we've had some sunny spells but it's mostly all about wain this winter :thumbdown:

garethwm Aug 1st 2016 6:27 am

Yea. Its been wet alright and windy too. Looks like it will be the same story for the rest of this week. Keep reading the 10 day forecast cause we are looking for a fine spell to take a trip down to Hawkes Bay and beyond for a few days.

MrsFychan Aug 1st 2016 10:31 am

we were up at Ohakune this weekend just gone but luckily we had a warning about the weather change and got off the mountain on Saturday and because there was a weather warning for Taihape we headed off early on Sunday so luckily didn't venture up on Sunday.

MrsFychan Aug 1st 2016 7:59 pm

temps set to drop in lower areas of the South Island, -9 in some areas. :thumbdown

and wain for the rest of the week all over.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/8271...nt-from-tasman

going to be hard to get the washing dry :unsure:

Stormer999 Aug 1st 2016 8:27 pm

Just hung the washing out..:fingerscrossed: we get some soon trying to dig post holes is no fun without a little help from the heavens..:(

scrubbedexpat094 Aug 1st 2016 10:01 pm

I've got quite a few plants I need to get dug in but it's no fun digging into heavy clay soil whilst it's raining. Can't even go on the lawn it's that squelchy.

Forecast doesn't look good. Even our local ducks look miserable :lol:

BEVS Aug 1st 2016 10:49 pm

My ducks are tending to stay on our higher ground. :eek:

Everywhere is completely sodden and a lovely norfolk pine tree that has been part of our view for the past 10 years couldn't take anymore and is now a pile of logs. :(

So much rain that there has been sewage leaking into the sea again & many slips on the roads.

Mind you The Ranges are now looking suitably snowy when the clouds clear .

Still, the weather forecast is more for this week &that includes Canterbury. :sneaky:=

Stormer999 Aug 1st 2016 11:27 pm

Fingers crossed...having to use a pry bar to make holes..resident female blackbird not amused as there are no juicy worms for her...washing's dry though...;)

scrubbedexpat094 Aug 1st 2016 11:43 pm

Originally Posted by Stormer999 (Post 12017571)
Fingers crossed...having to use a pry bar to make holes..resident female blackbird not amused as there are no juicy worms for her...washing's dry though...;)

I have a back passage and am able to dry my clothes there :p

Stormer999 Aug 1st 2016 11:53 pm

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix (Post 12017581)
I have a back passage and am able to dry my clothes there :p

Are you sure you don't want to edit that post quickly before anyone reads it....:lol:

scrubbedexpat094 Aug 2nd 2016 12:20 am

Originally Posted by Stormer999 (Post 12017590)
Are you sure you don't want to edit that post quickly before anyone reads it....:lol:

Nah. If they want to see it I'm happy to show them around :eek::rofl:

KOH2 Aug 2nd 2016 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix (Post 12016835)
Anyone else fed up of all the Wain? I know I am :nod: and I was away all of June. There's moss growing everywhere in the garden, never had it all down the drive as well. Yes we've had some sunny spells but it's mostly all about wain this winter :thumbdown:

Yes, especially as it's supposed to be summer over here:(
UK weather continues to stay wet after half a month’s rainfall comes down in 1 night | Daily Mail Online

Kotare Aug 2nd 2016 7:50 pm

1580mm (63in) of rain since 1 Jan - just as well we are 128m above sea level - for some reason my wife wants a tumble dryer?. At least we are warm up in the Far North - no heating on yet :)

scrubbedexpat094 Aug 2nd 2016 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by KOH2 (Post 12018214)

I'd still rather be there than here :nod:

scrubbedexpat094 Sep 27th 2016 11:47 pm

And still it keeps on raining. Our lawn is so saturated that you can actually hear the water in it :nod::eek:.
I can't get near our raised beds and fruit trees as the area around them is just a muddy bog. Not happy.

BEVS Sep 27th 2016 11:49 pm

It's one big sog isn't it.