British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   WAIN (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/wain-858162/)

MrsFychan Sep 27th 2016 2:09 pm

Re: WAIN

this weekend we got the first annoying flies of the season

MrsFychan Sep 27th 2016 4:02 pm

raining pouring big rain drips with a few flashes and rumbles

Bo-Jangles Sep 27th 2016 8:53 pm

We seem to have gained some additional water features in our garden too - the grass is in danger of becoming a duck pond. :(

Kotare Sep 27th 2016 9:17 pm

We drove north from Auckland today - two to three hours of monsoonal rain (to the point of almost having to stop). Extensive flooding. Got to 4km of our place, over a small hill, and it was dry as a bone?? Perhaps tomorrow :-)

BEVS Oct 4th 2016 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles (Post 12063353)
We seem to have gained some additional water features in our garden too - the grass is in danger of becoming a duck pond. :(

Who mentioned ducks.

Yesterday I witnessed my Boo duck sitting is a rather large duck made puddle in our back lawn.

Bo-Jangles Mar 9th 2017 4:57 pm

Nice weather for ducks - brace yourselves for yet another of our one in a 100 years weather events today. :thumbdown:

BEVS Mar 9th 2017 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles (Post 12201563)
Nice weather for ducks - brace yourselves for yet another of our one in a 100 years weather events today. :thumbdown:

Goodness me.

Not....weather.

Perish the thought.

Bo-Jangles Mar 9th 2017 7:21 pm

There's always one:

Watch: Remuera wake boarding - National - NZ Herald Videos

Stuck in Auckland Mar 10th 2017 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles (Post 12201563)

Like Thursday night?

Once a week:lol:

Bo-Jangles Mar 10th 2017 7:24 pm

I'm sure we must have reached that point where it is no longer 'good for the garden'. :lol:

MrsFychan Mar 10th 2017 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles (Post 12202248)
I'm sure we must have reached that point where it is no longer 'good for the garden'. :lol:

or trying to watch the TV, to blinkin loud.

Bo-Jangles Mar 11th 2017 8:50 am

The Tasman Tempest rages on; we've long since moved on from 'Good for the Garden' and I think we're now at 'Biblical Proportions'.

MrsFychan Mar 11th 2017 10:49 am

What you need to know:

The Tasman tempest weather system is back, bringing more rain to a sodden North Island
Severe gales are possible for Northland
Aucklanders face the chance of tornados, potentially damaging winds and heavy rain from about midday Sunday
Heavy rain is forecast for the eastern Bay of Plenty
Aucklanders and Hamiltonians are urged to conserve water
Wellington has surface flooding, with heavy rain and isolated thunderstorms expected until Sunday afternoon.

stay safe everyone, especially you Jafa's, keep an eye out for suspected tornadoes.

scrubbedexpat094 Mar 11th 2017 11:00 am

I was picking the OH up from the ferry ( which was a bus because of the weather) on Friday evening. I was sat in my car when another torrential rainstorm moved in, there was a huge gust of wind that lifted the right-hand side of my car slightly. It was rather freaky :eek:. I believe that there was a mini tornado in Stanmore Bay around the same time.

Who is it says the weather's better in NZ :confused:?

jmh Mar 11th 2017 11:25 am

Even the ducks look a bit sad around here today. Crikey. At least my neighbour has figured out that if he takes the leaves out of storm water drain he won't get flooded! :lol:

jmh Mar 11th 2017 11:29 am

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix (Post 12202645)

Who is it says the weather's better in NZ :confused:?

We have had a terrible summer and, with the approaching solar minimum, the poor weather is likely to continue. This is likely to apply in the UK as well. Keep a close eye on the weather before you go back - it is due to change. Some say we are approaching another Maunder Minimum which was correlated with the little age ice when the Thames froze over. Just saying, eyes open.

Bo-Jangles Mar 11th 2017 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix (Post 12202645)
I was picking the OH up from the ferry ( which was a bus because of the weather) on Friday evening.

I think there'll be a lot of people in West Auckland in need of a ferry service to get to work tomorrow. :(

Live: Flooding strikes scores of Auckland homes as storm spreads across North Island | Stuff.co.nz

scrubbedexpat094 Mar 11th 2017 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by jmh (Post 12202662)
We have had a terrible summer and, with the approaching solar minimum, the poor weather is likely to continue. This is likely to apply in the UK as well. Keep a close eye on the weather before you go back - it is due to change. Some say we are approaching another Maunder Minimum which was correlated with the little age ice when the Thames froze over. Just saying, eyes open.

Cool. I'd rather have snow and ice than rain and humidity :thumbup:

scrubbedexpat094 Mar 11th 2017 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles (Post 12202673)
I think there'll be a lot of people in West Auckland in need of a ferry service to get to work tomorrow. :(

Live: Flooding strikes scores of Auckland homes as storm spreads across North Island | Stuff.co.nz

Looks like it. There are clues about New Zealand's climate though, for example, The land of the long, white cloud or all the references to how green it is :sneaky::sneaky::rofl:

BEVS Mar 12th 2017 8:16 am

No consolation at all but it's been rubbish down here too . Currently we are all a-sog & the ducks have taken to the car port which is a soggy free zone.

It is all MrBEVS fault of course . He was the one insisting on the Intex Para Pool for the ......erm..... summer.

Not sure the vineyards need these rains right now. Anymore than the pip fruit growers needed the wind/hail storms .

BEVS Apr 4th 2017 5:18 pm

Guess what.

Wain

He should never have bought the Intex pool :cry_smile:

Charismatic Apr 11th 2017 10:30 am

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 12221951)
Guess what.

Wain

He should never have bought the Intex pool :cry_smile:

Can't you just by a heater and pretend it's summer?

BEVS Apr 11th 2017 11:10 am

Originally Posted by Charismatic (Post 12227216)
Can't you just by a heater and pretend it's summer?

We now have a halogen heater which is being hogged by the cat.

I'm not cold. I'm soggy. Even the ducks have legged it into the carport.:eek:

MrsFychan Apr 12th 2017 7:48 am

and it gets worse

What you need to know Thursday: How Cyclone Cook will affect each region | Stuff.co.nz

Bo-Jangles Feb 10th 2018 4:32 pm

Can we stop the Wain bus, it's been three days of persistent rain and I want to get off! :yield:

I've had enough; with near on 100% humidity it feels like we're drowning. yield::yield:

BEVS Feb 10th 2018 8:10 pm

I know. Very bad wains and storms in this region. Munted the beaches & a part of our area has been stuffed bigtime

bearskin Feb 14th 2018 5:17 am

Apparently had a third of our annual rainfall already up here. It's bloody ridiculous.

Had an interesting chat with some natives last week - they are in complete denial that it's anything more than just a blip. Reckon it will be 'back to summer' next week. Of course my suggestion that summer in NZ consists of '6 weeks of sun' and we already had that at the end of last year, went down well.

Kiwis are laughable in their head-in-sand attitude. No-one can remember last years appalling rainfall with all the floods - they had a month of sun last December and it's wiped their memory banks and all sense of reason.

You should see our place. You walk outside and the smell is just damp. Damp earth, damp wooden house - even our sofas etc are smelling damp. It's the second week of Feb not mid-August!!

Did make me smile when I read an article on the Herald this week where it said that the "Big Wet looks set to disrupt the end of our summer'. I though ooooh some writer is gonna cop for that sense of honesty!! End of Summer! It should eb the best of weather right now., not the 'end of summer'

Rant over. Weather here suck.

Bo-Jangles Feb 14th 2018 5:39 pm

Head in sand indeed; everything in our house feels damp and clammy, with so much humidity if you wipe down the kitchen bench and floor it's still wet an hour later and washing never feels dry.

Earlier this week NIWA reports were saying we had more rain in Auckland over the last 43 days than almost the entire last half of 2017.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/auckland/101...land-niwa-says

Woodlea Feb 15th 2018 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by bearskin (Post 12442064)
Rant over. Weather here suck.

Come to Canty, glorious summer, loads of late 20s, some early 30s since back in Nov - occasional heavy rain but doesn't last for long - weather here awesome!

BEVS Feb 19th 2018 7:24 am

The wains, they cometh.

Sandbags are currency around here.

Tom H Feb 19th 2018 4:40 pm

Pah this is nothing compared to October 1987

Or March 2014.

Justcol Feb 19th 2018 5:55 pm

Or July 17 when my little town was a giant puddle

BEVS Feb 20th 2018 9:34 pm

More bad rains.

I think maybe we are in the plops.

BEVS Feb 25th 2018 7:57 am

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 12447309)

More bad rains. I think maybe we are in the plops.

:lol: Funny to look back on previous posts.

Today is the return of the WAINS just for a change.

Himself has spent the past 4 days in and around the Takaka Hill area as part of the civil defence team even though he is not yet fully operational . Even a team from Marlborough is up to help.

If any of you saw the news snippets of the vehicle convoy being allowed over the ruined Takaka road yesterday , then himself may have been in the frame.
From 5am til 6pm Mr Lollipop Man ( as he called it) was a part of the team directing , redirecting and explaining .
Prior to that it was door knocking to access homes and buildings . Given this is a semi-rural area , that was quite tough going in places.

One poor chap was desperate to get part way across the hill so he could access his stock which had been left stranded. Eventually able to get him though as he had a quality 4x4.

Charismatic May 14th 2018 8:52 pm

It seems like we're getting a lot of wain this year, it just goes on and on and on...

BEVS May 21st 2018 8:48 pm

Ssshhh!

But it is WAINS bigtime.

MrsFychan May 21st 2018 10:13 pm

OMG - jeepers, house is shaking due to rain, wind thunder storm and I'm not even in a raised house. heart going 10 to the dozen.

bearskin Jun 11th 2018 6:50 am

So, we had a beautiful day in Auckland on Saturday - one out of the box - but boy do you have to pay for those up here in Auckland... the rain the last 24hours has been relentless, again. It's like every nice day you have here has to be paid for five times over in absolute crap! Even given Auckland's shockingly wet weather, we must be on for a record years rainfall in 2018.
Advice to anyone thinking of moving from somewhere with normal weather, to Auckland - DON'T.
Me and Mrs Bearskin love NZ but we were discussing recently about leaving for somewhere with better climate... sad times.

Justcol Jun 11th 2018 5:59 pm

I spent two years in Auckland and couldn't fault the weather.
The summers were hot but bearable, spring and autumn were as good as British summers and winters were nippy in the mornings but still t shirts weather once the sun came out. I wouldn't say the amount of rain was excessive. It was certainly less than the waikato and nothing compared to Manchester

Bo-Jangles Jun 11th 2018 6:25 pm

Provided you have some good windshield wipers you don't have to look very far to see the real rainfall stats and wettest ever news stories. Over the past two years we have beaten every record that ever existed for rainfall in Auckland. We've had biblical proportions of the wettest ever rain and received a full cabinet of wet medals and soggy accolades for the wettest day, the wettest hour, the wettest week, wettest month, wettest Friday, wettest February, March, April and May. We have beaten all previous wettest ever records that were achieved in the previous year too, which from first hand experience was a pretty wet record breaking wash-out too.

In the first six weeks of this year: January and February 2018 (AKA SUMMER) it rained more than it did in the previous six months

Just like London and Manchester. :rofl: Yeah, nah, wettevver!!