Vermin

Old Jun 16th 2010, 9:42 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Vermin

Originally Posted by donnisons
Oh dear just how bad are the mozzies? I hate them, they love me - am I going to be eaten alive? What do people recommend to deter them?
I haven't found the mozzies to be that bad TBH . It's the sandflies that do my head in.
Old Jun 16th 2010, 9:54 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think I've ever seen any mozzies here but I'm generally lucky and don't get bitten anyway- must taste bad

Also since I've moved to Christchurch the flies have not been such a problem as well The one thing I don't like is that there seem to be a lot more spiders around the house, not seen any whitetails though.
So we're either very lucky here and have no vermin lurking around or they're just waiting for spring to show themselves
Old Jun 16th 2010, 10:36 pm

pestman is a jewel in the roughpestman is a jewel in the roughpestman is a jewel in the roughpestman is a jewel in the roughpestman is a jewel in the rough

ok

rats follow a 'track' of sorts and are usualy easier to catch and they will go back and forth along pretty much the same route.Mice are a pain as they go everywhere and are random in the places they go.They can 'break' their backs and can get under a gap the size of a pencil!

mice will get in however hard you try.

goes without saying dont bait where pets can easily get to it! If in doubt use bait stations that hold the bait and make it impossible for pets to get into.

When putting out bait look, as you have, for droppings and bait around that area. For mice this should be a bait block approx EVERY 2 meters appart.

drop some behind gib board if you can

ALWAYS wear gloves as they will pick up your scent and then not feed on the bait.It can take many days/weeks to erradicate the problem.

we had a particular mouse problem that went on for 2 months before we finaly broke the cycle.You dont need to spend a fortune the 'cheap' sprung mouse traps at $2 each you can get in some supermarkets will work just as well. caught plenty of mice with them.

We do have wasps here and they can be in ground or in house and cost approx $100 to get rid of.

Flies again are a problem but a inside fly/spider treatment is approx $150 and outside about the same (3 bed single storey) and would give you about 5-6 months protection so all spring /summer weather dependant.

borer can be a big problem but dont panic there as again treatments can be done that are safe and as a bonus kill all flys for the summer as well price varies starting around $150 for a three bed whole house roof and basement inclusive treatment.

all these prices are my rough guide to what things would cost it will vary depending on where you live but hope that gives you a ball park for when you are getting quotes.

CHECK that the person doing it is qualified!

all the best from the Pestman
Old Jun 17th 2010, 6:22 am

Woodpigeon is an unknown quantity at this point

Huhu beetles (and their grubs when I'm gardening) are my big yucky pest. Any flying beetle that goes 'thud' when it hits the window but doesn't die, and 'crunch' when the cat eats it (and then walks round with antenae stuck in it's teeth) has to have one of the highest 'yuck' values in the world IMO!

Sandflies are a biggie for me too - their bites take months to heal and just when I think they have, I start itching again

Possums are a pest, but they look cute too. We have one that comes up from the bush at night and sits on the deck outside the patio doors looking in watching us. Trouble us one of our cats looks similar to a possum and we keep getting up to let her in only to realise that it's the possum as it runs away across the lawn

We don't have a problem with rats or mice coming into our house, but we have a new build and two cats who are both very accomplished hunters