Vermin

Old Aug 7th 2009, 5:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Perry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond repute
Default Vermin

Is vermin such as Rats, Wasps, Skunks etc a big issue in NZ?
Old Aug 7th 2009, 7:13 pm
We're HERE!!!

Kija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vermin

I'm more terrified of the wetas and other insects TBH!

Having read through the forums I have read some have problems with mice I think? Haven't read anything about skunks though. I'm sure someone living there will be along soon with more info. Almost wrote "with more insects" that's how bad I am
Old Aug 7th 2009, 8:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Perry Groves
Yes. The NZ native skunk thrives in the southern end of the North Island. They favour snug,secure, arbours colloquially referred to as" beehives " for mutual preening and bottom licking. If cornered it becomes exceedingly docile and pathetic in nature - this is only a ruse however - as it dispenses a unique vomit inducing scent of corruption.
Sadly impossible to avoid as the " scent of corruption " gets carried to all parts of the country by the winds of Wellington. A culling programme has been mooted.

Last edited by Hokey-pokey; Aug 7th 2009 at 8:53 pm. Reason: sp.
Old Aug 7th 2009, 9:06 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Possums.

Not troubled by wasps, thank goodness.
Old Aug 8th 2009, 7:27 am
BE Enthusiast

nero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Perry Groves
Depends what you call vermin. Mosquitoes can be a pain in the summer. Sand flies at the beach can be annoying - although we do not appear to have them in Auckland!

Currently working with the local council at one of the reserves and there are real problems with possums and rats. The possums are especially bad at eating native trees. The rats tend to eat the eggs of the native birds. So neither are liked. Hedgehogs and rabbits are also frowned upon in the reserve world as they cause probelms with wildlife and vegetation as well.

But I think that is about it
Old Aug 8th 2009, 11:27 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

On a personal level I find the house flies the most annoying pests here. Have had no problems with ants, spiders, wasps, wetas, rats or errrr skunks

The flies are incredibly persistent and will NOT leave you alone. We usually end up spraying round the room and then shutting the door and hope hope hope to come back to a thin layer of dead flies over the carpet
Old Aug 8th 2009, 11:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Perry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond repute

Any Hornets?
Old Aug 8th 2009, 12:39 pm
We're HERE!!!

Kija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond repute

I know the possums are damaging the trees etc but they're so cute, it's sad they got introduced there and now have to be exterminated. Hedgehogs are cute too. All animals are cute It's the insects I can't stand
Old Aug 8th 2009, 9:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

German Cockroaches are my biggest worry
Old Aug 10th 2009, 4:39 am
Forum Regular

Rustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of light

Have to say that this year (winter) has been particularly bad for rats for us (and mice), we've had them in the house for the first time and even had to escourt one out of the lounge a couple of weeks ago We think we've worked out how they got in and have blocked it off but lots of people are saying the same thing, with resulting problems of water pipes being chewed through plus the usual amount of damage.

Where i work and all out West Auckland there's been a massive problem with rabbits, probably down to the early start and long summer this year.

It very much depends where you live but essentially rats, mice, wasps, hornets, sandflies and mozzies are a problem at different times of year. Weta's, whitetail spiders, rabbits, possums, stoats, weasels and mozzies are more of a problem around bush areas.

The larger cockroach problems tend to be around Gisbourne area as i understand it.
Old Aug 10th 2009, 11:41 am
We're HERE!!!

Originally Posted by Rustie

It very much depends where you live but essentially rats, mice, wasps, hornets, sandflies and mozzies are a problem at different times of year. Weta's, whitetail spiders, rabbits, possums, stoats, weasels and mozzies are more of a problem around bush areas.

The larger cockroach problems tend to be around Gisbourne area as i understand it.
OK so Gisbourne is a place I'll be avoiding if we get to go to New Zealand as well as bush areas! Not sure how I'd cope if I came face to face with a weta
Old Aug 10th 2009, 7:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

What problems do Weasels cause?
Old Aug 10th 2009, 8:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

nero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kija
OK so Gisbourne is a place I'll be avoiding if we get to go to New Zealand as well as bush areas! Not sure how I'd cope if I came face to face with a weta
We geta Weta's in our garden and in our garage! They are funny looking things - have to say they are not my favourite insects prefer the preying mantis (now they are beautiful)
Old Aug 10th 2009, 9:49 pm
Cow on the Beach

Wooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond repute

Got a couple of white tails (spiders) in the house on one day over the weekend. A mate of mine says (and his brother is an etymologist specializing in spiders) that as white tails live on other spiders the best way to keep them down is to regularly get rid of spider webs around the house (inside and out) with a broom. By the way he also said that although the bite is painful and can in rare cases cause nausea and vomiting, it is not proven that it causes ulcerated rashes.
Old Aug 10th 2009, 9:51 pm
Cow on the Beach

Wooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone seen the Cook Stait Giant Weta - saw a couple on Somes Island on the weekend in the Weta Hotel - bodies as long as my palm and as thick as my thumb .....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.