UK debts

Old Oct 7th 2014, 10:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK debts

Originally Posted by chocolate cake
but it's possible to keep them open, though the banks can make it difficult.
Indeed, I have an old Halifax account which I left open to pay a Direct Debit and only ever used occasionally online. This served a useful purpose for a while but all went horribly wrong when I stuffed up the login.

They had allowed me to change to a NZ address from the UK but then refused to send me anything other than obligatory notifications about interest rate changes - meaning I couldn't get a new security code and they won't even send me a statement, far less send a replacement for my long since expired credit card.

Thankfully their computer must have had a fit recently and seems to have forgotten that they were refusing to communicate with me - so I have a shiny new debit card which I could potentially use for some online shopping or maybe I might try to get some cash at the ATM if I can remember the password.

Other than that my only option to get money was to write myself a cheque - which I have done on occasion. Trouble is I don't have any idea how much is left in the account because they won't friggin tell me.
Old Oct 8th 2014, 6:58 am
Forum Regular

janiejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond repute

We've kept our Nationwide account, they use our NZ address without any problems.
Old Oct 8th 2014, 8:15 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

We kept our old UK bank. We filled out a form prior to coming to NZ, a p85 or something like that. To tell the bank what we were doing.

I've got my UK bank cheque book and ATM card. Those are some of the, 'seeds' that I will grow my life in Britain with should we ever return. The cheque book has been useful when sending occasional small cheques as presents to UK relatives.

I've also got a Barclaycard with a zero balance. Recently, after spending no money for three and a half years, i.e. the time we've been in NZ, I got a two thousand pound credit limit increase !

We strived to settle our debts prior to leaving Britain. However, we ended up paying off the last four and a half thousand pounds owing on a credit card balance from the proceeds of the house. Something I really didn't want to do but it just seemed to be the easiest quickest way to get rid. Technically we still 'owe' ourselves the money i.e. $9,000 or we owe it to the house as it would have gone/will go on the house. How much new carpet & lino will $9,000 buy ? Rhetorical question.

Last edited by Snap Shot; Oct 8th 2014 at 8:31 am. Reason: seeds