Reload this Page >

Transit times while flying via the US

Transit times while flying via the US

Old Jun 5th 2015, 11:23 pm
Just Joined

jparsons is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Transit times while flying via the US

Originally Posted by snaps
I'll be very interested to know more on this from others using LAX.
First of all i hve to say that as an airline, i found air nz to be faultless in terms of customer service and on board experience, however its seat booking system has a mind of its own. The nz1 experience involves going through security at LAX (Pretty much standardn in all airports while transiting) additionally the thing that may add about 30 min to your time is the wait at immigration. However after that you are free to roam the entire terminal (which is a bog-standard international terminal). The main plus with this is thay you dont have to pick up and drop off your bags and you have the benefit of flying air nz, which incidentally has by far the best PE on the market and a great selection of films at every seat.
Old Jun 7th 2015, 3:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

I have traveled back and forth using a mixture of flights and carriers
going through, Singapore, hong Kong, LA and Tokyo , and never
once had to collect bags at a transit airport.I assumed those days were long gone.

Have to agree with the comments on Air New Zealand, absolutely
outstanding service and aircraft, they deserve the reputation they have
Old Jun 7th 2015, 10:40 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Justcol
I have traveled back and forth using a mixture of flights and carriers
going through, Singapore, hong Kong, LA and Tokyo , and never
once had to collect bags at a transit airport.I assumed those days were long gone.

Have to agree with the comments on Air New Zealand, absolutely
outstanding service and aircraft, they deserve the reputation they have
Normally when connecting through the states you have to pick up and drop of bags, i think its because us airports dont have a separate domestic/international side so this bag thing occurs as a result of going through immigration
Old Jun 7th 2015, 12:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

As I said, I've been through the states and didn't have to.
Old Jun 7th 2015, 1:01 pm
Just Joined

As I said, I've been through the states and didn't have to.
Did you fly nz1 or nz2
Old Jun 7th 2015, 2:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

You don't collect your luggage on NZ1/2 as it's the same plane you are reboarding and not leaving the airport (you do, however, need to take your hand luggage off the plane ). If you are not reboarding the same plane you will need to collect and recheck your luggage.
Old Jun 7th 2015, 10:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snaps
I'll be very interested to know more on this from others using LAX.
I'll attempt to provide an honest feedback when I return to England in August. The company have put me on NZ2 and NZ1 despite protest.

I just hope LA airport employees there have been fully trained to understand that anyone who is a visitor to your airport, and is using a flight whether domestic or international - does not mean that they are Osama Bin Laden the second. Treat them like human beings, make them feel like they're at an airport and NOT at Guantamano Bay!!!

If John F Kennedy International Airport can do it, then surely LAX can follow suit.
Old Jun 7th 2015, 10:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

I have no idea what nz1 or nz2 are !!
Old Jun 7th 2015, 11:35 pm
Just Joined

I have no idea what nz1 or nz2 are !!
They are two flights with Air NZ which are exempt from the bag pick up and re check in rules which are norm usually, while flying through the states, you might have been on a flight like this with a special arragement with LAX and US customs to be excused from this procedure
Old Jun 8th 2015, 8:05 am
BE Forum Addict

I have no idea, I just booked the cheapest,

Despite the crappy transit, the flight to London was great,
Watching the moons reflection traceing across the surface
of the 1000's of lakes as we passed over Canada was something else

Last edited by Justcol; Jun 8th 2015 at 8:08 am.
Old Jun 8th 2015, 9:01 am
Forum Regular

Baz036 is an unknown quantity at this point

Have to say that from past experience I will never transit through the US again - fine if stopping over but transit no.

For me it would have to save a few hundred dollars to make the experience worth it!
Old Jun 8th 2015, 9:29 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I have no idea, I just booked the cheapest,

Despite the crappy transit, the flight to London was great,
Watching the moons reflection traceing across the surface
of the 1000's of lakes as we passed over Canada was something else
NZ1 and NZ2 would be the flight numbers - as with QF1 and QF2 (for Australia) they will be the main flagship flights for that airline.
Old Jun 8th 2015, 10:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pollyana
NZ1 and NZ2 would be the flight numbers - as with QF1 and QF2 (for Australia) they will be the main flagship flights for that airline.
Didnt look and didnt care, it was cheap and 3 years ago

Anyway, enough about my ignorance, I hope things have change and the OP has a good flight
Old Jun 8th 2015, 10:43 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Didnt look and didnt care, it was cheap and 3 years ago

Anyway, enough about my ignorance, I hope things have change and the OP has a good flight
I accept you may neither know nor care what flights you were on, but a little tip for the future - its handy to try and remember the flight numbers at least while one is en route, otherwise one tends to miss the announcements, turn up at the wrong gate, get one's bags offloaded for failing to show, and generally annoy those passengers who know what they are on and thus where they should be, and when
Old Jun 8th 2015, 12:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

I always know what flight I'm on and where I will see me bags next.
I've been all over the world and made the uk-nz /nz-uk trip through
various routes 6 times,
I have only ever missed one flight connection which was due to
a hold up at Frankfurt airport.
I know how to travel, I know when to get on and off and where i will be.
I just don't care what the significance of the flight numbers is.
Once again, this isn't about me, and I resent your smart arse comments
So, jparsons, have a safe flight and I hope nz is everything you hope it will be

Last edited by Justcol; Jun 8th 2015 at 12:55 pm.