British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Transit times while flying via the US (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/transit-times-while-flying-via-us-859483/)

jparsons Jun 3rd 2015 8:02 pm

Transit times while flying via the US

flying to auckland from lhr with the following route

Lhr--sfo (virgin atlantic)

Sfo--akl(air nz)

Wld any of you know if this involves a terminal change and also is a 2hr 50min layover long enough to go through immigration and pick up and drop of bags (8) at the connections desk without being in a rush.

Justcol Jun 4th 2015 6:50 am

Re: Transit times while flying via the US

I've done that route once, never again !!
You will not be given the opportunity to do anything
You get herded into a very poor transit lounge and get barked at
by passive aggressive Americans who think calling you sir or ma'am
excuses their bad manners

snaps Jun 4th 2015 7:43 am

I will avoid going through the US airports for as long as I can. LAX was dreadful last time.

Tom H Jun 4th 2015 9:28 pm

Here's my recommendation

Change your flight!!!

Pay the extra charge and go via Hong Kong or Singapore if flying with Air New Zealand

The only positive I can say about San Francisco airport is that it's not Los Angeles Airport.

jparsons Jun 4th 2015 10:00 pm

Unfortunately as ticket is booked through work and the class we have been offered (PE) is only availible on flights through the US.

TommyLuck Jun 5th 2015 12:09 am

You'll just have to grin and bear it, if this is what is. Can you not offer to pay the supplement to fly via elsewhere?

Expect the worst and you might be surprised!

You might be squeezed for time, but I wouldn't go so far as rushed. Just proceed with urgency and if you're travelling with others, be nice to each other!

Tom H Jun 5th 2015 12:11 am

Out of curiosity what is your travel date???

I'd be amazed if there is no PE available via Shanghai or Hong Kong.

scrubbedexpat094 Jun 5th 2015 12:54 am

Originally Posted by Tom H (Post 11666385)
Out of curiosity what is your travel date???

I'd be amazed if there is no PE available via Shanghai or Hong Kong.

Excuse me for being thick but I've got a mental block on what PE is. All I can think of is Pulmonary Embolism and Physical Education! You certainly wouldn't want the former and the latter seems inappropriate :rofl:

BEVS Jun 5th 2015 1:04 am

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix (Post 11666397)
Excuse me for being thick but I've got a mental block on what PE is. All I can think of is Pulmonary Embolism and Physical Education! You certainly wouldn't want the former and the latter seems inappropriate :rofl:

Premium Economy.

jparsons - Please respond to the PM I sent regarding registrations. Thank you

Tom H Jun 5th 2015 1:18 am

Premium Economy rarely sells out. You can fly PE from London to Auckland via Hong Kong or Shanghai. The first leg will be either Cathay or Virgin and the second leg will be Air New Zealand. The Shanghai PE is excellent as you fly on the Dreamliner. Hong Kong not so, as that uses the Boeing 777-200 model. I wouldn't recommend anyone paying the extra to fly PE if on that model, you'd be better off paying to get skycouch.

Hence why I'm a bit shocked that there isn't PE available for JParsons. I would highly recommend if there is some available, that he/she pushes the company to make the change. Another reason why I am interested in the flight departure date to check

scrubbedexpat094 Jun 5th 2015 2:31 am

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 11666407)
Premium Economy.

Oh stupid me! Of course it is, I wouldn't care we flew out to here PE the second time around :rolleyes:. Thanks BEVS

cappuccino Jun 5th 2015 8:28 am

Air NZ AKL-LHR via LAX uses the new Tom Bradley terminal where you are allowed to wander around, rather than being cooped up in the 'holding pen' transit room. Also, if you have Star Alliance Gold status you can use the new lounge (with showers).

jparsons Jun 5th 2015 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by Tom H (Post 11666422)
Premium Economy rarely sells out. You can fly PE from London to Auckland via Hong Kong or Shanghai. The first leg will be either Cathay or Virgin and the second leg will be Air New Zealand. The Shanghai PE is excellent as you fly on the Dreamliner. Hong Kong not so, as that uses the Boeing 777-200 model. I wouldn't recommend anyone paying the extra to fly PE if on that model, you'd be better off paying to get skycouch.

Hence why I'm a bit shocked that there isn't PE available for JParsons. I would highly recommend if there is some available, that he/she pushes the company to make the change. Another reason why I am interested in the flight departure date to check

The travel agency that the company is obligated to use (corporate contracts) had offered us with cathay as well but the price was more than double, so from a cost point of view the company has a cheapest of class provided policy (or 250£) here and there. Unless of course the airline is viewed to be a risk or has outlandish transit times (like 12 hours or longer). Im afraid it looks like well have to grin and bear the delights of US homeland security ;) anyway as long as you are cordial with them they wont get too shouty (fingers crossed!!) :fingerscrossed:

jparsons Jun 5th 2015 3:04 pm

And last time we flew PE LHR-AKL-LHR in february, the flights (nz1 and nz2) were fully booked ( i had awful seats one the 777 right next to the toilet on the outbound :( )

snaps Jun 5th 2015 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by cappuccino (Post 11666603)
Air NZ AKL-LHR via LAX uses the new Tom Bradley terminal where you are allowed to wander around, rather than being cooped up in the 'holding pen' transit room. Also, if you have Star Alliance Gold status you can use the new lounge (with showers).

I'll be very interested to know more on this from others using LAX.