Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Time for Ten Pound Poms again?

Time for Ten Pound Poms again?

Old Mar 7th 2011, 10:02 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Time for Ten Pound Poms again?

I think boundary changes work all ways, people just assume whoever is the current government at the time has them done in their favour.

Certainly at the last election I remember seats being described as 'notionally Conservative' because they weren't the sitting party but had been given a notional majority through boundary changes.

In the seat in Scotland where I would have been registered to vote boundary changes made it significantly less likely for Labour to hold the seat by moving in areas traditionally 'very SNP', and indeed they lost it to the SNP.
Old Mar 8th 2011, 4:53 am
Near the outer fringe

JohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Some of you guys really need to tune into some talkback radio The likes of NewsTalk ZB might give you a reality check on what daily life in NZ is like and what MR & Mrs Kiwi like to complain about week in and week out - you'll hear similar comments as above, a thousand times a week.
You're using talkback radio as a reality check? That explains a lot.
Old Mar 8th 2011, 4:55 am
Near the outer fringe

JohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
How so? You say this like so many do it on purpose. I guess someone very desperate might do, but this would require one heck of a lot foresight and forward planning with folks needing to do 5 years in NZ before being entitled to Kiwi Citizenship.

It can take anything upto two years from conception of the idea of migration, until the physical arrival in NZ from a.n.other country as a PR. Add to this the requisite five years of residence and another 9 months or so for processing of citizenship, people would need to be planning eight to ten years in advance of a move through the 'back door' to OZ.

We've seen lots of people through this board over the years that land up in Oz by default because of a mistake, not settling in NZ, hating NZ or simply not being satisfied that they achieved the lifestyle they assumed or were led to believe was possible in NZ. I can't say that I ever came across anyone who deliberately set out to use NZ as a stepping stone to get through the back of the wardrobe to Narnia.
Sorry to pick on your posts... but it was only three years till very recently!
Old Mar 8th 2011, 5:06 am
Near the outer fringe

Not sure why I read this thread TBH. It's mainly just recycling and rehashing old stereotypes.

It did make me wonder how many Kiwis move to Oz for the weather though!

I hope they don't re-instate £10 pound poms. I'd rather live precariously in an expensive low-population country than a cheap over-populated one.
Old Mar 8th 2011, 5:17 am

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JohnThePom
I do.

I would actually encourage any newcomers to listen to Newstalk ZB, read the Herald and listen to a younger radio station such as The Edge to get an idea of what a range of kiwis think, do and what is important to them.
Old Mar 8th 2011, 6:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JohnThePom
More real than some of the utter rubbish I read on this forum.

Obviously not your cup of tea, and not always mine when certain old farts like Murray Deaker are on there, but they do have a range of very good (Kerre Woodham & Susan Wood) along with some awful hosts that do my nut in. You certainly get a good variety of opinions and it would give a newbie a pretty fast education of the state of the nation. They're just everyday folks chewing the cud on life as it is day to day and surely can be no worse an education than some of the make believe stuff in this forum that people take as gospel.

In case anyone is interested http://www.newstalkzb.co.nz/

Last edited by Bo-Jangles; Mar 8th 2011 at 6:52 am.