Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Time for Ten Pound Poms again?

Time for Ten Pound Poms again?

Old Mar 4th 2011, 9:38 am
Forum Regular

gazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Time for Ten Pound Poms again?

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
I think you are overblowing it a bit:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-12633382

And it isn't just the UK, Germany and Austria have also had to normalize the benefits situation with these eastern European EU countries.

On the child benefit, I am not sure it matters if EU citizens working in the UK have their kids with them or leave them back in their old country - if they are part of the UK economy they should be treated like anyone else.
Sorry I think you will find the facts I stated yesterday are just that..... HARD FACTS!
Old Mar 4th 2011, 9:40 am
Forum Regular

gazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond repute

Probably not the 1M+ Brits who live and work in the other EU countries.
That's the point 1M+ Brits "WORKING" in other EU countries, how many Brits are living off benefits in other EU countries??
Old Mar 4th 2011, 9:40 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
How so? You say this like so many do it on purpose. I guess someone very desperate might do, but this would require one heck of a lot foresight and forward planning with folks needing to do 5 years in NZ before being entitled to Kiwi Citizenship.

It can take anything upto two years from conception of the idea of migration, until the physical arrival in NZ from a.n.other country as a PR. Add to this the requisite five years of residence and another 9 months or so for processing of citizenship, people would need to be planning eight to ten years in advance of a move through the 'back door' to OZ.

We've seen lots of people through this board over the years that land up in Oz by default because of a mistake, not settling in NZ, hating NZ or simply not being satisfied that they achieved the lifestyle they assumed or were led to believe was possible in NZ. I can't say that I ever came across anyone who deliberately set out to use NZ as a stepping stone to get through the back of the wardrobe to Narnia.
I have, come across people coming via NZ to get to Oz. I did one of those online surveys back in the Uk as to what country I could move to ignoring the fact my husband was a Kiwi, only to find the NZ would have turned me down but I could have gone to Oz???? How strange ...
Old Mar 4th 2011, 9:48 am
Forum Regular

A lot of the time its the National Governments that are a bunch of pussies and want to pass the buck onto the EU for decisions that they actually support.

Britain has always wanted the EU to get wider and not deeper - it was Britain that wanted the eastern European countries to join and Britain (& Sweden & Ireland) that allowed instant migration for them when all the other existing member countries didn't.

I agree re the Poles and general assimilation - although I note that a lot of Brits don't assimilate that well in Spain, perhaps it needs another generation or two for that to happen.
There was a a deliberate and orchestrated policy drawn up by the last Labour government in 1997 to operate an "open door policy" to eastern Europeans in an attempt to strengthening the left wing populous of the UK. It is something Lord Mandelson admitted to very recently, apparently a meeting took place in the early weeks of government between a small group (Blair, Brown, Mandelson and Campbell) to draw up the policy. Unfortunately I believe the volume of migrants took even them by surprise.
Old Mar 4th 2011, 9:52 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
In the late 70's I used to drink in a Polish club in Manchester. It was on its last legs, as the Polish community, who set the club up after the war, had just vanished into the local populous and didn't see the need for a club of their own anymore. I can't see the current influx of Poles to the UK doing anything different over the coming years.

Having said that, the EU does seem to go out of its way at times, with rules and regs, that look like they have been deliberately designed to piss people off. It's no surprise that its hated by large parts of the people of Europe now.
The problem is most of the migrants have little desire to stay long term. Most get as much as they can as quick as they can and return to their home countries with the cash only to be replaced by a new generation. Money is hemorrhaging out of the country to the benefit of the Eastern European countries and at the expense of the UK tax payer!
Old Mar 4th 2011, 9:54 am
Forum Regular

There are quite a few pensioners, but also a very large number of families, that was my experience of living in Spain.

I don't really understand what is in it for Labour promoting EU migration - it's not like EU citizens can vote and there was a strong backlash from Brits who could vote, have I missed something?
They can if they get citizenship, which was the aim of "New Labour"!
Old Mar 4th 2011, 10:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
I would think that would be a very large percentage.

The 2006 census shows for country of birth NZ: 476,719

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demogra...untry_of_birth
I can't dispute that but those demographics refer to residents.

I have been a Kiwi born resident of Australia three times.
Old Mar 4th 2011, 10:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
How so? You say this like so many do it on purpose. I guess someone very desperate might do, but this would require one heck of a lot foresight and forward planning with folks needing to do 5 years in NZ before being entitled to Kiwi Citizenship.

It can take anything upto two years from conception of the idea of migration, until the physical arrival in NZ from a.n.other country as a PR. Add to this the requisite five years of residence and another 9 months or so for processing of citizenship, people would need to be planning eight to ten years in advance of a move through the 'back door' to OZ.

We've seen lots of people through this board over the years that land up in Oz by default because of a mistake, not settling in NZ, hating NZ or simply not being satisfied that they achieved the lifestyle they assumed or were led to believe was possible in NZ. I can't say that I ever came across anyone who deliberately set out to use NZ as a stepping stone to get through the back of the wardrobe to Narnia.
Well sorry but I have. Actually I didn't say they do it on purpose, however I understand many do.

Asian students for starters do. They come here to English language schools, go to Uni, get a couple of degrees, become citizens and then chase the better paid jobs in Aus. And I don't blame them one bit.

Our street has been full of Asians students many living with siblings or friends doing just that. Plenty of money with no parental supervision other than what we have provided for them.

Last edited by Bellasmum; Mar 4th 2011 at 10:51 am.
Old Mar 4th 2011, 10:51 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bellasmum
I can't dispute that but those demographics refer to residents.

I have been a Kiwi born resident of Australia three times.
True... and the comparable figure for Australians (by birth) resident in NZ is 62,634.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demogra...untry_of_Birth

So for every 1 Aussie resident in NZ there are about 330 in Aus

And for every 1 Kiwi in Aus there are only about 9 in NZ.
Old Mar 4th 2011, 11:04 am
BE Forum Addict

True... and the comparable figure for Australians (by birth) resident in NZ is 62,634.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demogra...untry_of_Birth

So for every 1 Aussie resident in NZ there are about 330 in Aus

And for every 1 Kiwi in Aus there are only about 9 in NZ.
Not sure exactly what you are trying to say other than prove me wrong with out dated figures from Wiki.

Most Kiwi's I know have spent time living in Aus, how many stay is another long term is a different story.
Old Mar 4th 2011, 11:10 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bellasmum
Not sure exactly what you are trying to say other than prove me wrong with out dated figures from Wiki.

Most Kiwi's I know have spent time living in Aus, how many stay is another long term is a different story.
And I know some Aussies that have spent time living in NZ.

Are you saying you don't think there is any statistical significance in nearly half a million Kiwis living in Aus, when in the same year (don't see where 'outdated' comes into it - has it dramatically changed then?) there were a fraction of that number of Aussies living in NZ?
Old Mar 4th 2011, 12:21 pm
Forum Regular

And I know some Aussies that have spent time living in NZ.

Are you saying you don't think there is any statistical significance in nearly half a million Kiwis living in Aus, when in the same year (don't see where 'outdated' comes into it - has it dramatically changed then?) there were a fraction of that number of Aussies living in NZ?
What is the point you are trying to make here?

The bottom line is both Oz and NZ are far better options than living in the UK. I think we have established that, now whether you want to migrate to OZ or NZ is purely down to the individuals involved, both countries offer a great deal but are completely different. For me NZ is a better option but I can completely understand why some people would choose OZ!

Be lucky!
Old Mar 4th 2011, 12:32 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

Originally Posted by gazmfc
What is the point you are trying to make here?
If you need a recap of what the thread is about, see post #1.

In fact, the choice of Aus, NZ or UK comes down to the individuals involved.
Old Mar 4th 2011, 12:45 pm
Forum Regular

If you need a recap of what the thread is about, see post #1.

In fact, the choice of Aus, NZ or UK comes down to the individuals involved.
I have read the thread from post 1 thank you, and I believe the thread was started by someone who believed NZ was in a bad way and required a population increase.

I have tried on several occasions (as have a number of other people) to make a point that actually NZ isn't all that bad in comparison to large ares of the EU and the UK in particular. For some reason, a number of people resident in OZ seem hell bent on making a comparison solely with OZ, I have no idea why! Two totally different countries!!
Old Mar 4th 2011, 12:53 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
It's no secret that NZ is struggling to retain its people, with more than a 1,000 a week leaving for Australia alone.
Maybe this explains the course of the discussion?

Or this:

http://nz-money.ninemsn.com.au/marke...nt-to-increase (don't forget to read the comments - some of these people sound familiar ).

I think I'll depart this thread now and leave you to rant on about how awful the UK is...that certainly wasn't what the thread was about!

I actually really like NZ, I've been chastised by former NZ residents for sticking up for the place before, no idea what it's like to live there though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.