Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Time for Ten Pound Poms again?

Time for Ten Pound Poms again?

Old Feb 27th 2011, 11:25 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Time for Ten Pound Poms again?

It's no secret that NZ is struggling to retain its people, with more than a 1,000 a week leaving for Australia alone. The Christchurch earthquake isn't going to help that outflow, sooooo... what about a Ten Pound Poms scheme?

Not particularly restricted to the UK, just a general push to get more people into NZ quickly.

No idea if its a good/bad/indifferent idea, just thinking out loud really.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 12:49 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Time for Ten Pound Poms again?

I´d rather have a limited number of those who want to come and have skills required than a bigger number attracted by a cheap fares scheme. It isn´t just about headcount, look where uncontrolled headcount increase has got the UK. Or China.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 1:03 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by simonsi
I´d rather have a limited number of those who want to come and have skills required than a bigger number attracted by a cheap fares scheme. It isn´t just about headcount, look where uncontrolled headcount increase has got the UK. Or China.
The only thing I would say to that is, a least looking at it from Australia, NZ looks like it could do with a big influx of people... and NZ is light years away from the population of the UK.

There may be many people in the UK who don't have the required skills, or don't meet age requirements, who would jump at the chance of a move to NZ... and bring an influx of people and cash at a time when you seem to need it.

Perhaps a relaxation of the current requirements then?
Old Feb 28th 2011, 1:09 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

No! We still need quality over quantity. One of the delights of living here is the small population
Old Feb 28th 2011, 1:15 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by cappuccino
No! We still need quality over quantity. One of the delights of living here is the small population
I can understand that view, not sure its sustainable long term though, with the NZ Gov predicting a falling population in the future. Those predictions predate the latest economic problems in NZ and the earthquake which will probably make things 'worse'.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 3:13 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Time for Ten Pound Poms again?

I’m not sure I would want the type who would only pay 10 quid for a flight.

Most people leave New Zealand because there are better job prospects elsewhere, if we addressed that problem alone we could retain our talent and attract from elsewhere.

A few ideas:
- Allow tax breaks on direct foreign investment and reinvestment. As long as your money stays with us we are happy to let you do as you please and will not tax you for it (but if you pull the plug on us a large chunk of it is ours).
- Make it more tax efficient for New Zealanders to invest in New Zealand businesses and make Kiwisaver tax free for locals.
- Decide which graduates are really worth it for New Zealand and offer free/reduced fees in tertiary education in those professions (depending on what we can afford).
- Offer scheme that get young people into owning their own basic housing by backing once off nothing/little down type mortgages at reasonable interest rates. If people own a chunk of New Zealand they will be more likely to work hard and stay here (maybe even offer the same terms to young professionals from other countries?).
- Pay civil servants well, if you want the best people you have to pay commensurate wages.
- Have a national plan with targets that spans at least two generations and make it happen. It should include all areas of government from treasury to cultural affairs.
- Decentralise government departments (both to diversify the risk of a natural disaster and spread employment throughout the country).

Of course if you think these things will happen you are living in a bloody dream world , this is New Zealand.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 5:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

With already something near to 7% unemployed, what will this hypothetical influx of new migrants do for a living? The last thing this country needs is more landlords and cashed up lifestylers or pretendy trendy farmers.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 5:37 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
With already something near to 7% unemployed, what will this hypothetical influx of new migrants do for a living? The last thing this country needs is more landlords and cashed up lifestylers or pretendy trendy farmers.
NZ could do with more of anybody who is 'cashed up'.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 5:55 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

No! We still need quality over quantity.
Why move the goalposts now?
Old Feb 28th 2011, 6:09 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

It's a tricky one. On the one hand I don't want any more people here. On the other I worry about the place long term.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 7:41 am
If u see Sid, tell 'im...

Location: Ex of Hucknall and Mansfield, Notts and now in Manly, Whangaparaoa, just North of Auckland!
sirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Charismatic
Ditto.....they're the sort we all leave the UK to get away from!
Old Feb 28th 2011, 7:47 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Charismatic
Originally Posted by sirplug
No snobbery here then. !!
Old Feb 28th 2011, 7:50 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Time for Ten Pound Poms again?

Originally Posted by sirplug
Exactly, wealthy cnuts .
Old Feb 28th 2011, 10:24 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

No. I married a Kiwi and spent the best years of my youth with him, bore him 4 kids and moved here on the back of his citizenship.

I'd never have got in to NZ without his birthright.

He's worked 4 months in 4 years since we got here. We have since gone our separate ways.

But I feel more privileged to live here than he ever has and still had to go through the medicals and police checks etc to be allowed in. And I'd worked 3.5 years out of the 4.

10 pound Poms "may" encourage bludgers and needless to say from my own personal experience that does not sit well with me ...
Old Feb 28th 2011, 11:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Wessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to behold

One of the things which is drawing me to NZ.
I think they should carry on calling for skilled people and keep the spongers out. We know what happens when you let anyone and everyone into a country eh..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.