Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Sustainable salary in Auckland?

Sustainable salary in Auckland?

Old Mar 17th 2014, 10:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sustainable salary in Auckland?

Oops, apologies, I just re-read my posting from this morning & I made a basic but very pertinent error! He's paying $200 weekly, not monthly. He'd have a fine old lifestyle if basic expenses were only $200 month! Sorry, no intention to mislead anyone there.
Old Mar 17th 2014, 11:58 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by bearskin
...doesn't mean that it is not feasible given the appropriate circumstances.
Exactly.

What it means is that a single lad in a house share may well manage on around $50K ish .

From other posts it also means that

1 - A tradesman family on $55k ish up in Auckland might find themselves struggling .

2 - That a couple looking to buy a home may find themselves unable to do so.

Per your post, it is all about the circumstances, so please don't have a little niggle at others who feel they have/will struggle for whatever reason. Those you are pointing your finger at - & you are targeting certain posters - are not 20 somethings in a house share & we don't walk in their shoes.

As it stands, we have no idea what actual salary the OP has been offered.

Is $50K NZD = 22 1/2 K GBP ? Is it bottom line to be able to enjoy Auckland and maybe see something of NZ whilst here without scraping by?

Will he be able to save around 20% of his salary on $50K NZP.

What salary would afford the same standard of living as per his OP

That seems to be what he is asking.
Old Mar 18th 2014, 3:04 am
BE Enthusiast

bearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Per your post, it is all about the circumstances, so please don't have a little niggle at others who feel they have/will struggle for whatever reason. Those you are pointing your finger at - & you are targeting certain posters - are not 20 somethings in a house share & we don't walk in their shoes.
BEVS - is this all for me?

The people I was referring to, are people I know personally - who moved away from Auckland because they felt they couldn't afford the Auckland lifestyle they felt entitled to - living downtown and going to flash bars and gallery openings, whilst earning a pretty average wage - they don't (to my knowledge) post on BE.
Old Mar 18th 2014, 4:07 am
`

I'll believe you

As you yourself wrote - "it is all about the circumstances"

Originally Posted by Bearskin
......couldn't afford the Auckland lifestyle they felt entitled to - living downtown and going to flash bars and gallery openings,
You're right. I've not seen any posters like that on here. Most of the motley lot here are Mr & Mrs Joe average family with the usual wishes for their families .
Old Mar 18th 2014, 4:11 am
`

...and

behave. ;-)
Old Mar 18th 2014, 9:36 am
BE Enthusiast

davros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond repute

As probably the voice (or one of) of the under 30 somethings and Auckland........ my view on this is clear. Also i have been saving like crazy and do not have a family to feed.

1) its a temporary trip
2) you dont want to buy a house - this changes everything.
3) you may not need to buy a car, you can just rent a cheap juce box when you want to go somewhere.
4) you could get a job in the cbd or somewhere where you can get a comfy apartment for $300-$400pw. alternatively, you could flat share, prob around 180-200 per week.

if you were to do the above, yes you could do it on 50-55k, although you couldnt afford a glamorous lifestyle,i.e. beers every fri/sat night. if you want to go to aussie, fiji, rarotonga or even go around NZ allocate another 10K on top.

good luck!

Last edited by davros1984; Mar 18th 2014 at 9:41 am.
Old Mar 25th 2014, 5:30 am
Forum Regular

gazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
I don't suppose anyone here has tried living in Auckland on $50k but are happy to recommend that you do so; ]
Kinda looks as if this was directed at me.

So in response:-

18 months in Meadowbank - Meadowbank Road to be exact. Earning 48k-52k.
(Are you familiar with the area? Otara it is not)

Renting and supporting 1 dependent for 12 months and 2 dependents for the following 6 months thereafter.

I never felt poor, or struggled to eat or go out.

As a single bloke it would have been easier!

So yeah, from experience it can be done.

Take from that what you like.
Old Mar 25th 2014, 5:38 am
`

Can it be done long term?
Old Mar 25th 2014, 5:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

Can it be done including frequent travelling? As far as I read the OP's post he would like to have a decent lifestyle and travel frequently. Probably all around NZ and maybe a visit to Australia or Somoa? All within 6 months.
Old Mar 25th 2014, 6:01 am
Forum Regular

gazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nice

Situation dependent i guess.

Last edited by gazmac; Mar 25th 2014 at 6:23 am.
Old Mar 25th 2014, 5:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

garethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Assanah
Can it be done including frequent travelling? As far as I read the OP's post he would like to have a decent lifestyle and travel frequently. Probably all around NZ and maybe a visit to Australia or Somoa? All within 6 months.
I thought the original poster was asking what the equivalent salary of £22.5k UK was for Auckland. Being on a 6 month placement, its unlikely he would be given time off work to do the things youre suggesting. The odd weekend to Coromandel or Bay of Islands etc would be earily achievable on $50k NZ, for a single person housesharing, in my opinion.
Old Mar 27th 2014, 9:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

When I was a single chap living in London I was earning similar and leading a similar life, I don't see anything compelling to suggest that Auckland would be much different.

6 months here is more than doable if you house share and don't have lavish tastes.

Also, don't expect the place you live in to be particularly up to scratch, or value for money compared to renting in and around the home counties. It could well be a touch draughty, a bit damp and chilly in winter. If you're not planning to be here in winter - ignore previous sentence.

Take the plunge. I reckon you've got a good chance of having a pretty good 6 months here. Unless you are particularly loose with your spending, it wont bankrupt you and it'll be good for your CV and general life experience.
Old Mar 28th 2014, 4:06 am
BE Enthusiast

bearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond repute

I recall a bloke I knew back i the 90s who moved to NZ for a bit and it did him the world of good. He'd been working in that London and for him Auckland was a breath of fresh air. I'm not sure he was too impressed with the beer or the sheilas, but he came back to the UK well pleased with his trip down under.
Don't see why it wouldn't apply today - apart from the (apparently) crippling cost of accommodation, natch.
Old Mar 28th 2014, 7:26 pm
Looking for my marbles.

pippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond repute

I agree bearskin. . It has been tough for us as a family living here but it has done me the world of good leaving the UK behind for a while. It's put things into perspective for me and helped me to realise what's important in life. I'll return home a new person, all refreshed for a new challenge.