Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!! Landscape gardener and family in NZ

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!! Landscape gardener and family in NZ

Old Mar 23rd 2014, 5:27 pm
Forum Regular

desperateBrit is a glorious beacon of lightdesperateBrit is a glorious beacon of lightdesperateBrit is a glorious beacon of lightdesperateBrit is a glorious beacon of lightdesperateBrit is a glorious beacon of lightdesperateBrit is a glorious beacon of lightdesperateBrit is a glorious beacon of lightdesperateBrit is a glorious beacon of lightdesperateBrit is a glorious beacon of lightdesperateBrit is a glorious beacon of lightdesperateBrit is a glorious beacon of light
Default SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!! Landscape gardener and family in NZ

Hello there guys, i really need some friendly advise please.

My family (mother, father 3 brother and niece) live in new zealand, emigrated nearly 9 years ago. for the last 3 years we have been looking to emigrate with no luck what so ever. we have exhausted all possibilities. my husband is a landscape gardener, he is currently self employed and we were going to buy into 'hire a hubby' and go on the business visa, that was until they changed the rules. he also has a HGV licence but we have found it impossible finding working that way too. his family have all now passed away, which is difficult for us as we are only 29 and being in a country with no family and 3 kids to raise isnt easy. as a landscape gardener his skills are on the skilled list (appendix 6 part c) which gives some hope but we have been applying for jobs for years now and had no luck. do you guys think it would be better if we all just went over for 6 months on a visitors visa and he looked for work there? we have funds readily available (£30k) plus we own our house out right (£250,000) so we financially stable, its just we cannot get a job offer from this end and i dont want to waste £4000 on flights if it isnt going to help at that end either. im so desperate to be with my family, i cry everyday and i just cannot see a way out of this situation. we are so committed to this move if only someone, somewhere would give us the chance. please help. many many thanks for reading! xxx
Old Mar 23rd 2014, 6:57 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!! Landscape gardener and family in NZ

have you looked at the Working Holiday Visa. could be a foot in the door.
http://www.immigration.govt.nz/emplo...mp/whvisas.htm
Old Mar 23rd 2014, 7:08 pm
Forum Regular

desperateBrit is a glorious beacon of lightdesperateBrit is a glorious beacon of lightdesperateBrit is a glorious beacon of lightdesperateBrit is a glorious beacon of lightdesperateBrit is a glorious beacon of lightdesperateBrit is a glorious beacon of lightdesperateBrit is a glorious beacon of lightdesperateBrit is a glorious beacon of lightdesperateBrit is a glorious beacon of lightdesperateBrit is a glorious beacon of lightdesperateBrit is a glorious beacon of light

we have 3 children so not an option. so very frustrating as we have money, are healthy and hard working. thanks for your reply
Old Mar 23rd 2014, 8:29 pm
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about

I presume you've looked at the family sponsor visa?

What total amount of points in the skilled migrant indicator do you get?
Old Mar 23rd 2014, 8:39 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Well, anecdotally it seems that employers prefer you to be in NZ to take you seriously. So coming over may well be more successful for you, however that is a risk you'd have to take.

Do you all need to come over though? What about your husband coming over, looking for work and then you following on once visas etc had been sorted? You can look for work as a visitor but you should be travelling to NZ on holiday primarily with that as a side issue. Basically you don't make it too obvious that that is the main reason. However having family here will help explain a long visit!
Do you have any skills or do you stay at home to look at the kids?

Tom mentioned the family sponsorship route, that could be worth looking at. The wait can be very long but that very much depends on your circumstances. However it could offer residency for you which would be a big plus in your favour when job hunting

Last edited by Persephone; Mar 23rd 2014 at 8:43 pm.
Old Mar 23rd 2014, 8:50 pm
Forum Regular

thanks for replying guys, really appreciate any kind of feedback. erm, as far as a family visa goes nz immigration had taken the sibling category off the list in may 2012 so thats a no go for us. im a nail artist so i have nothing to offer my husband would be very happy to go along to nz on his own to hunt for a job, its our only option really. we would get 130 points maybe 140 if he can pass this course he is currently studying, also we would need a job offer. so very frustrating, but i have to say, maybe if the uk was this hard to get into, we wouldnt have as many problems! so good for nz. x
Old Mar 23rd 2014, 9:17 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by desperateBrit
thanks for replying guys, really appreciate any kind of feedback. erm, as far as a family visa goes nz immigration had taken the sibling category off the list in may 2012 so thats a no go for us. im a nail artist so i have nothing to offer my husband would be very happy to go along to nz on his own to hunt for a job, its our only option really. we would get 130 points maybe 140 if he can pass this course he is currently studying, also we would need a job offer. so very frustrating, but i have to say, maybe if the uk was this hard to get into, we wouldnt have as many problems! so good for nz. x
If you had 140 points then that would be an automatic pull from the EOI pool. If less than 140 then a job offer would be needed. You can only count one qualification towards the points total. Forgot that the category had been taken off
Keep trying
Old Mar 24th 2014, 7:15 am
Forum Regular

janiejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond repute

... so very frustrating, but i have to say, maybe if the uk was this hard to get into, we wouldnt have as many problems! so good for nz. x
It's easier to get into NZ than it is to get into the UK. I got points for NZ (albeit earlier on, before the downturn) as a graduate with a professional qualification, and no job offer.

I plugged the same info into the UK points calculator and didn't get enough points. I chose the Tier 2 Skilled Workers visa, as I figured that was the closest to SMC here.

UK Points calculator
Old Mar 24th 2014, 7:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

As has been said already I feel your best, and most sensible option, is for your hubby to come over for a few
months and does some serious job hunting
Old Mar 24th 2014, 9:46 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Justcol
As has been said already I feel your best, and most sensible option, is for your hubby to come over for a few
months and does some serious job hunting
I would agree with this Col.

contact all and ever poss employer that one can think of. Arrive with boots on ground and be prepared to stay and take up said offer with a temp work visa/permit just to get that kick start in. Family to follow later.

One thing to note that any NZ employer offering employment will have to pass the NZ labour market test that there is no NZer that could take up that vacancy.
Having said that, we had someone on here recently whose husband has found a job offer in the same occupation here in the beautiful Nelson area.
Old Mar 29th 2014, 7:01 am
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

, he is currently self employed and we were going to buy into 'hire a hubby' and go on the business visa, that was until they changed the rules. ,
Hi, we came via LTBV and a Hire a Hubby franchise, what has changed with the rules?
Old Mar 29th 2014, 1:02 pm
Forum Regular

IngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by j19fmm
Hi, we came via LTBV and a Hire a Hubby franchise, what has changed with the rules?
Apparently they put a hold on new applications late last year until they catch up on backlog.

Last edited by IngStina; Mar 29th 2014 at 1:03 pm. Reason: added something
Old Mar 29th 2014, 10:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IngStina
Apparently they put a hold on new applications late last year until they catch up on backlog.
Wow, thank goodness ours went through ok then! Thanks IngStina
Old Mar 30th 2014, 4:58 am
BE Enthusiast

moonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by j19fmm
Ltbv has now gone, it's now entrepreneur/investor visa or something
https://www.immigration.govt.nz/migrant/stream/invest/

How are you doing, we have had a few ups and down but settling well. About to start rennovation of the 70s house we bought how expensive is everything over here
Old Mar 30th 2014, 8:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by moonie2011
Ltbv has now gone, it's now entrepreneur/investor visa or something
https://www.immigration.govt.nz/migrant/stream/invest/

How are you doing, we have had a few ups and down but settling well. About to start rennovation of the 70s house we bought how expensive is everything over here
Hi, doing well, business at last picking up but sooooo wish I could score a perm post so we could ditch this Visa!!!!