Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Stay in NZ or go home?

View Poll Results: Stay in NZ, or leave and go home?
Stay in NZ
68.75%
Leave and go home
31.25%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Stay in NZ or go home?

Old Jun 3rd 2008, 10:09 pm
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stay in NZ or go home?

Originally Posted by dustylegs11
Well any doubts that I did have about leaving the UK for NZ have all gone. I think that the poll says it all. Thanks everyone for your input
I think I know what you mean - as its easy to look at all the debate on the forum and think "maybe NZ is a dump". But I would caution to always keep your eyes wide open. Migrating is not a popularity contest, it is about making decisions and applying yourself in a way that suits what you want in life. You need to spend just as much time understanding the issues that mean 4 posters (at current count) want to 'go home' if they could.
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 11:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by southerner
I think I know what you mean - as its easy to look at all the debate on the forum and think "maybe NZ is a dump". But I would caution to always keep your eyes wide open. Migrating is not a popularity contest, it is about making decisions and applying yourself in a way that suits what you want in life. You need to spend just as much time understanding the issues that mean 4 posters (at current count) want to 'go home' if they could.
Very, very true S

NZ alas has been a great let down for many a person, all with their own reasons for not having worked out. As I have said for those who end up back in the UK I always hope that they will appreciate the things about Blighty perchance they did not. And those that move on to other countries, well NZ was a stepping stone aye?

Very, very rarely do any of us get things right 1st time. I worked for 2 constabularies, lived in London and Northampton, had one wife leave me and many, many job afore I ever found any kind of what I would call contentment.

It took about 45 years all in!!!!

And for all the shite in the past? I believe we are stronger when facing/having faced adversity..andbelive me I have had my share of it from very, very early in my life right up to just w wee while ago.

It still comes and visits me every now and then. Life is rarely without troughs aye? But its the calm waters that prevail for the most part that we want to navigate innit??

Off me bean bag now to finish my tongue and groove ceiling..nice, very 80's.
Old Jun 4th 2008, 12:31 am
Banned

cathyc is just really nicecathyc is just really nicecathyc is just really nicecathyc is just really nicecathyc is just really nicecathyc is just really nicecathyc is just really nicecathyc is just really nicecathyc is just really nice

Originally Posted by southerner
That's very good advice and should be listened to by anyone reading this thread back in Britain because we're all so different and we each want different things out of life. I'd also like to add that New Zealand isn't the place to move to if you're looking to leave your problems behind because you're more than likely to find them again plus the problem of not being able to get out again.

Some people seem to deliberately strand themselves in New Zealand so that they force themselves to like the place, which is fine if it works for them personally but is it fair to put their family in such a position? We all try to do our best by our kids and partners so it's hard to admit to yourself that what is good for you may not be best for them. We didn't want our kids growing up to hate us for stranding them in a country that isn't their own, I didn't want them leaving as soon as they are able to and never seeing them again. It's for that reason that I know we will go home when we can and if they want to experience immigration they can make their own decisions when they are old enough. At least then it will be their decision and not something we've forced on them to satisfy our own desires.This isn't about "me" it's about "them"

Last edited by cathyc; Jun 4th 2008 at 12:34 am.
Old Jun 4th 2008, 2:09 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

No way would we want to move back to the UK. I have finally stopped calling UK "home".... New Zealand is now home for us. We have been here 3 years next week (time for an update maybe?). I also prefer the weather here, I have metal in my leg after a bad accident and the milder weather here means I generally dont have much pain from it. So, no I wouldnt wish to move back to the UK if money was no option.
Old Jun 4th 2008, 2:30 am
Forum Regular

hjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of light

Wouldn't go back to UK if NZ didn't work out would try OZ first,but we like New Zealand it has everything we need but you can never say never.

Helen
Old Jun 4th 2008, 8:41 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pixi-dust
Maybe it depends on what your own definition of home is?
Mine is where I live, where my husband is, where things I love are, where I feel settled, where my heart is.. I could go on.
If I moved somewhere else and felt all these things it would become home.

Feeling that I am home in NZ doesn't mean that I have forgotten where I came from, I will always be Scottish ( even if I become a citizen here it's just how I feel) and if for some reason I found myself living there again it would be 'home'.

But I do feel New Zealand is home, by my own definition, I actually felt it very quickly once we arrived.

I was trying to work out how to say that but you've said it brilliantly Wherever I lay my hat that's my home
Old Jun 4th 2008, 9:17 am
Chocoholic

Yummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to all

Maybe it depends on what your own definition of home is?
Mine is where I live, where my husband is, where things I love are, where I feel settled, where my heart is.. I could go on.
If I moved somewhere else and felt all these things it would become home.

Feeling that I am home in NZ doesn't mean that I have forgotten where I came from, I will always be Scottish ( even if I become a citizen here it's just how I feel) and if for some reason I found myself living there again it would be 'home'.

But I do feel New Zealand is home, by my own definition, I actually felt it very quickly once we arrived.
Ditto

Glad to know that a fellow scot loves it in NZ.....

Has made me feel a whole lot better about coming over

Thanks

Oh forgot to ask... where in NZ are you staying? If u dont mind me asking.

xxx
Old Jun 4th 2008, 9:25 am
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Yummymummy, I was in Glasgow too before we moved over here. I loved it.

Now in NZ we're way up north in Northland very near the Bay of Islands but inland a little. Very rural, very lovely.

Just back from a mammoth South Island trip where we were total tourists! It was amazing.
Old Jun 4th 2008, 9:41 am
Chocoholic

Yummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to all

Hi Yummymummy, I was in Glasgow too before we moved over here. I loved it.

Now in NZ we're way up north in Northland very near the Bay of Islands but inland a little. Very rural, very lovely.

Just back from a mammoth South Island trip where we were total tourists! It was amazing.
You loved it? !!!

I hate glasgow, awful dusty, dirty and full of neds now..

Although not sure where you stayed. We are in the west end, close to westerton so it might be worse here than other places in glasgow.

WOW it must be lovely there. We are restricted to areas, mainly due to employment. But i'm sure it will be better than here! haha

xxx
Old Jun 4th 2008, 10:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Patrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to all

Every day on the news now someone in the U.K.is getting killed. Now too far away from where i live a shopkeeper was shot at 7.30am he had only been open an hour. There was CCTV pictures he (the gunman) was calmed as u like just walked in and and killed him. Now i know this can happen anywhere, its just happening too much over here literally every day.
Depending how long one has been in N.Z.will be the problem as regards returning to the U.K. My own opinion is if anyone was 5yrs plus (i was 7) in N.Z.be prepared for a shock to the system keep the news to a minimum because everyday now for weeks some poor soul has been murdered thats not to mention maimed etc. My own advice would be to try youre utmost to try and stick it out put up with it whatever way u want to word it rather than return here.
Dont get me wrong things may change but i wouldnt hold my breath.I think the government is embarassed by the amount of violence and lawlessness here on our streets even in supposed decent suburbs. Just a little food for thought.........
Old Jun 4th 2008, 10:16 am
Chocoholic

Originally Posted by Patrick2007
Every day on the news now someone in the U.K.is getting killed. Now too far away from where i live a shopkeeper was shot at 7.30am he had only been open an hour. There was CCTV pictures he (the gunman) was calmed as u like just walked in and and killed him. Now i know this can happen anywhere, its just happening too much over here literally every day.
Depending how long one has been in N.Z.will be the problem as regards returning to the U.K. My own opinion is if anyone was 5yrs plus (i was 7) in N.Z.be prepared for a shock to the system keep the news to a minimum because everyday now for weeks some poor soul has been murdered thats not to mention maimed etc. My own advice would be to try youre utmost to try and stick it out put up with it whatever way u want to word it rather than return here.
Dont get me wrong things may change but i wouldnt hold my breath.I think the government is embarassed by the amount of violence and lawlessness here on our streets even in supposed decent suburbs. Just a little food for thought.........
Well put i totally agree,

Its happening everywhere. There was a woman stabbed to death at her work (she was a trainee manager for a restaurant) not far from us, at night in a busy area. She was found on a table!!!

I mean is it a case now that u cant even go to work, without their being a risk of getting murdered!

My cousin is a Police Officer and she said its awful. People just dont have any respect for the human race anymore.

I am concerned for my kids growing up more than anything else.

Anyway... rant over!! haha
Old Jun 4th 2008, 10:28 am
BE Enthusiast

whitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to behold

Perhaps the orignal question is too complex to be divided into a yes/no answser. Also, measuring such responses is really meaningless.

For a start, the question implies that folks came from 'home' and wish to move back there (UK). That's over-simplified when we see the realities of movement these days. Many travel for work, travel experience or family reasons. Many who come to NZ may not intend to stay, or may wish to move on to other parts of the world - not necessarily back to the UK. And, as some have notesd 'home' can mean different things to different people.

It's too simple to talk about settling or not settling. Many of those who have travelled the widest may not wish to 'settle'. It's too simple to conclude that those who move on somehow lack the 'settling' spirit. Migrating for life and settling in the adopted country was how early migrants behaved - perhaps because they had no money to move on or return. That's definitely not the case today. Perhaps we need to redefine our concept of migration.
Old Jun 4th 2008, 11:13 am
Just Joined

dustylegs11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by whitesand
Perhaps the orignal question is too complex to be divided into a yes/no answser. Also, measuring such responses is really meaningless.

For a start, the question implies that folks came from 'home' and wish to move back there (UK). That's over-simplified when we see the realities of movement these days. Many travel for work, travel experience or family reasons. Many who come to NZ may not intend to stay, or may wish to move on to other parts of the world - not necessarily back to the UK. And, as some have notesd 'home' can mean different things to different people.

It's too simple to talk about settling or not settling. Many of those who have travelled the widest may not wish to 'settle'. It's too simple to conclude that those who move on somehow lack the 'settling' spirit. Migrating for life and settling in the adopted country was how early migrants behaved - perhaps because they had no money to move on or return. That's definitely not the case today. Perhaps we need to redefine our concept of migration.
I understand what you are saying. The question was placed as a poll for a good reason. Even with all of the things that people talk about regarding NZ and home, be it UK or not. I am sure that most people have that gut feeling. That gut feeling often comes with every day life where ever you live. Its made up of all the good and bad points. It tells you if you have or have not made the correct decision when it comes to moving. Placing it as a yes / no question seemed to be the only way that a quick conclusion could be reached. Each person who has voted, I am sure, has taken into account all of the important points such as money, family, property, health and so on.

The post has raised some great replies. Thanks for all of them
Old Jun 4th 2008, 11:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Patrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to all

Well i for one will be returning "home" as soon as, pay drop and all ,i have been fortunate enough to have seen both sides,like i say its a matter of opinion. I thought the answer here was to get try and better yourself moving to a better suburb etc, i work with a whole range of people and some are in these good suburbs with the same problems. Answer= if poss and u have the chance get out quick especially with a young family,if there stay put stick it out or return to hell see u later guys if i get to work safe chow!!!!!!!!!!
Old Jun 4th 2008, 12:50 pm
Chocoholic

Originally Posted by Patrick2007
Well i for one will be returning "home" as soon as, pay drop and all ,i have been fortunate enough to have seen both sides,like i say its a matter of opinion. I thought the answer here was to get try and better yourself moving to a better suburb etc, i work with a whole range of people and some are in these good suburbs with the same problems. Answer= if poss and u have the chance get out quick especially with a young family,if there stay put stick it out or return to hell see u later guys if i get to work safe chow!!!!!!!!!!
So Patrick, are you returning to NZ i take it?

I dont care what anyone says, the UK aint safe for kids now. Too many drug dealers trying to entice the kids into taking drugs, so they can make money!

Some of my family live in really affulent areas, but they even get alot of trouble where they are.

Anyway, next year i will be half way across the world, working my fingers to the bone for my kids!

xxx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.