Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Stay in NZ or go home?

View Poll Results: Stay in NZ, or leave and go home?
Stay in NZ
68.75%
Leave and go home
31.25%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Stay in NZ or go home?

Old Jun 4th 2008, 7:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stay in NZ or go home?

Originally Posted by cathyc
Some people seem to deliberately strand themselves in New Zealand so that they force themselves to like the place
Just wondering what you meant by that? Surely there is always an option to return? What did you do so you weren't "stranded"?
Old Jun 4th 2008, 10:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Patrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to all

I will be returning to N.Z. when thats another story the sooner the better. I hope you make it i for one dont want to bring my daughters up here good luck.
Old Jun 4th 2008, 11:29 pm
Banned

cathyc is just really nicecathyc is just really nicecathyc is just really nicecathyc is just really nicecathyc is just really nicecathyc is just really nicecathyc is just really nicecathyc is just really nicecathyc is just really nice

Originally Posted by Yummy_Mummy
So Patrick, are you returning to NZ i take it?

I dont care what anyone says, the UK aint safe for kids now. Too many drug dealers trying to entice the kids into taking drugs, so they can make money!

xxx
What on earth maakes you think New Zealand is any different?
Old Jun 5th 2008, 12:06 am
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

I think it all depends on where you live in NZ. I certainly can't comment on the whole of New Zealand as I only have experience of where I am, but where I live is actually very different.

Last edited by pixi-dust; Jun 5th 2008 at 12:09 am.
Old Jun 5th 2008, 2:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pixi-dust
I think it all depends on where you live in NZ. I certainly can't comment on the whole of New Zealand as I only have experience of where I am, but where I live is actually very different.
I agree, there's crime where I live but general life in my neck of the woods is way way better than I ever had in either part of the UK I lived in. Less feral kids roaming the street, less burlaries, leave the car open, house ditto etc, etc. Criome DOES happen here in my home town..it happens all over NZ..but I feel safer and feel as though I live somewhere I do not need to be looking over my back or worrying about my property..and I don't..so that's a bonus.

I did not come to NZ for no crime as that is a very unrealistic ideal..I came for less day to day crime..and where I live that expectation has been delivered 100%

Life in NZ is wonderful. Far from perfect, but marvellous. Would only return to the UK if 55 million left it..the UK's a great place, just ridiculously crowded..crowds = problems in my view.
Old Jun 5th 2008, 2:54 am
Banned

cathyc is just really nicecathyc is just really nicecathyc is just really nicecathyc is just really nicecathyc is just really nicecathyc is just really nicecathyc is just really nicecathyc is just really nicecathyc is just really nice

A lot of break ins go unreported because many people don't have contents insurance and the papers don't report much if anything so it could be happening you just don't get to hear about it? We'd only get to hear if someone on our street got broken into and the police came round asking if we'd seen anything, but I have had friends who've had stuff stolen from both their cars and their homes most of it was little items like mobile phones, laptops, purses and stuff. They said it was kids most likely.

You remember we had the chance to live in Palmerston North but turned it down and said it was a probably just as well when we read about a girl being assulted there? well it happened again in the car park of some fast food place a few days ago. it has quite a bad problem with drugs too apparently. I found this just now and wondered if you had heard about it Genesis and wanted to ask you what you thought about it?

"Police in Palmerston North are sending out a stern warning that local buyers and sellers of illegal drugs will be caught.

Search warrants were executed at around 10 properties yesterday, as part of a planned drug operation which has been running for six weeks. Thirteen people were arrested and charged with more than 40 offences, involving the sale and supply of Class A, B and C controlled drugs.

Detective Karen Heald says police have a constant battle to keep on top of the region's drug problem.

Large quantities of methamphetamine, ecstasy and cannabis were found as part of the operation and Ms Heald says police have serious concerns about the availability of drugs in the area."
It was on the TVNZ website on the 30th May.
Old Jun 5th 2008, 4:03 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

CathyC - now that you're there, could you answer my earlier question above - thanks?
Old Jun 5th 2008, 4:53 am
Banned

Sorry I missed you, what did I mean by people stranding themselves? those that don't give themselves a way to get out if it turns out wrong, they burn their bridges so well that they no ption other than get on and make the most of it. They do things like buy expensive houses which have gone down in value and now they can't sell them, or they quit jobs that are impossible to get back in to, or they cut ties with family so well that they can't face the thought of going home. I know because we almost did the same ourselves and I see lots of other people who went the full hog and are now regretting it.
Old Jun 5th 2008, 5:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

A lot of break ins go unreported because many people don't have contents insurance and the papers don't report much if anything so it could be happening you just don't get to hear about it? We'd only get to hear if someone on our street got broken into and the police came round asking if we'd seen anything, but I have had friends who've had stuff stolen from both their cars and their homes most of it was little items like mobile phones, laptops, purses and stuff. They said it was kids most likely.

You remember we had the chance to live in Palmerston North but turned it down and said it was a probably just as well when we read about a girl being assulted there? well it happened again in the car park of some fast food place a few days ago. it has quite a bad problem with drugs too apparently. I found this just now and wondered if you had heard about it Genesis and wanted to ask you what you thought about it?

"Police in Palmerston North are sending out a stern warning that local buyers and sellers of illegal drugs will be caught.

Search warrants were executed at around 10 properties yesterday, as part of a planned drug operation which has been running for six weeks. Thirteen people were arrested and charged with more than 40 offences, involving the sale and supply of Class A, B and C controlled drugs.

Detective Karen Heald says police have a constant battle to keep on top of the region's drug problem.

Large quantities of methamphetamine, ecstasy and cannabis were found as part of the operation and Ms Heald says police have serious concerns about the availability of drugs in the area."
It was on the TVNZ website on the 30th May.
I have no doubts there are loads of drugs in Palmy, fortunately no where near my home. In Northampton I had hypodermics at the end of my garden that backed onto a park. I had drug dealers selling the stuff 10 yards from my back gate, kids spliffing 20 yards in the rec. area, when that wasn't happening kids were pissed on my doorstep, as was a prositute, I spent 30 mins every day picking up rubbish, cleaning graffiti and if that wasn't exciting enough I had my house pelted with light bulbs one day (someones idea of a 'bright' idea I guess) or being told to 'eff off' by outrageously aggressive 8 year olds when I went out to protect a man who was being mobbed. Also daily I had to put up with crowds of awful youths who terrorised the locale.

Palmy, like most towns in NZ has its fair share of shite, but when you lokk at the neighbourhood I lived in 3 years ago and where I live now its a stark difference.

I spend loads of time in town at all times and I have never ever felt intimidated, there are areas I would chose not to frequent at certain times..like anywhere on this earth.

I live a normal life now and all the crime that goes on in Palmerston North wether its drunk fools at 2am fighting or drug manufacturing it has no direct bearing on my everyday life. In Northampton all types of crime were an everyday part of my home life...as a policeman I expected lots of crime..but on my doorstep daily, no thank you.

Drugs, fights, burglaries and all types of crime will occur when you live anywhere. You cannot escape to a crime free country. What matters to me is how much it affects you daily.

Here daily effect = zero.
Old Jun 5th 2008, 5:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Sorry I missed you, what did I mean by people stranding themselves? those that don't give themselves a way to get out if it turns out wrong, they burn their bridges so well that they no ption other than get on and make the most of it. They do things like buy expensive houses which have gone down in value and now they can't sell them, or they quit jobs that are impossible to get back in to, or they cut ties with family so well that they can't face the thought of going home. I know because we almost did the same ourselves and I see lots of other people who went the full hog and are now regretting it.
Can't you see the irony in your own situation though? You previously posted a long list of reasons you weren't very happy in NZ - most of which could be attributed to you not selling a house in UK and buying one in NZ. You then imply that people who do sell up, and buy their "dream house" in NZ are in some way making a mistake, because if they don't like it, it is harder to go back. To me, you're advocating a self-fulfilling prophecy - move over here, but don't fully commit yourself to it, make sure you're living in a crappy rental house and don't have enough money to go round - then in 6 months/2 years, wonder why you don't like it, and scuttle off "home".
In my opinion, if you're going to do this move, you need to do it properly, show some commitment, and give yourself the best chance of success. I think recent statistics show that around 90% of migrants are happy with their new life in NZ - surely it is better to maximise your chance of being in this 90% than to make sure you've got a cast-iron escape route if you're in the other 10%? Especially if providing your escape route means you're more likely to need it?
Old Jun 5th 2008, 6:30 am
Chocoholic

Yummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to all

What on earth maakes you think New Zealand is any different?
I dont recall saying it was going to be "different". Just not as bad as Glasgow.

NZ obviously hasnt worked for you! That doesnt mean that everyone one else is gonna hate it!

My Aunt stayed there for 18 years and she also agrees that there are "some" problems but in comparison no where near the crap in the UK. Have u seen the UK news recently?

I dont think it would matter where you stayed in the world, you are never going to excape crime completely... just a fact of life i am afraid! The only thing we can do is stay out of it and protect ourselves as much as possible.
i.e. Not leaving yourself "wide" open to thieves by leaving laptops, phones etc in view, making sure you are insured for any loss and just being cautious of every situation.

Anyway, regardless of the negativity.... i know that i will go to NZ and make the most of whats there and enjoy life and many other people have done the same.

xxx
Old Jun 5th 2008, 6:36 am
Banned

What irony do you mean Lapsed Kiwi? What point was there in tying ourselves into a fat morgage that we couldn't afford to buy an over priced expensive house in a country that we knew we didn't want to stay in? the houses were only one of heaps of reasons that we didn't want to put down roots. We went with our gut instincts and worked hard to get out so in the end not having our own house turned into a benefit. We didn't know when we made that deicison that the market would collapse like it has. We know plenty of people that really threw themselves into New Zealand when they arrived and bought lovely homes with big mortgages then we saw them worry themselves silly as as the interest rates went up and their fixed rates dropped out. Some wanted to sell but they knew they'd loose money and get hammered for agents fees even if they did manage to get a buyer. I feel so sorry for them but what can I do other than try to let other people know aobut it so they don't make the same mistake? Perhaps it's hard to understand when if you're a Kiwi and love the place despite everything, it's not always easy to put yourself in other people's shoes.
Old Jun 5th 2008, 6:39 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Yummy_Mummy
I dont recall saying it was going to be "different". Just not as bad as Glasgow.

NZ obviously hasnt worked for you! That doesnt mean that everyone one else is gonna hate it!

My Aunt stayed there for 18 years and she also agrees that there are "some" problems but in comparison no where near the crap in the UK. Have u seen the UK news recently?

I dont think it would matter where you stayed in the world, you are never going to excape crime completely... just a fact of life i am afraid! The only thing we can do is stay out of it and protect ourselves as much as possible.
i.e. Not leaving yourself "wide" open to thieves by leaving laptops, phones etc in view, making sure you are insured for any loss and just being cautious of every situation.

Anyway, regardless of the negativity.... i know that i will go to NZ and make the most of whats there and enjoy life and many other people have done the same.

xxx
Well you sound as if you may be prepared and are going into it with your eyes open, hope it works out very well for you.
Old Jun 5th 2008, 7:50 am
only love is real

clair73 has a brilliant futureclair73 has a brilliant futureclair73 has a brilliant futureclair73 has a brilliant futureclair73 has a brilliant futureclair73 has a brilliant future

I must admit i am in my 5th year in NZ and i have suffered home sickness this year. I miss the people, friends, the humour. I miss the history and heritage, i miss the diversity that there is between towns, going to down a country lane and having a pub lunch in the beer garden. I miss being able to flit over to Europe.

We were planning to move back in January next year, but have decided, for the time being, to stay in New Zealand.
I have heard that home sickness kicks in yr 2 and yr 5. We are in year 5. Also my whole family (except for my brother) is in New Zealand, plus our rate of living over here is much better than if we were to go home to the UK.

England will always be my home and i will visit often but for now...personally....we are staying in New Zealand.

I think you would have to think very very hard before going home as it does cost a lot to go back.
I have heard people quote 'so many people go home realise what they have done and come back' and that is true, but people also go back and stay back and enjoy it. But people only like to talk about others failures.
I think as i have said it is a very personal choice to make
Old Jun 5th 2008, 8:01 am
BE Forum Addict

What irony do you mean Lapsed Kiwi? What point was there in tying ourselves into a fat morgage that we couldn't afford to buy an over priced expensive house in a country that we knew we didn't want to stay in?
I think I explained myself pretty clearly. I don't quite understand why you moved to a country where you knew you didn't want to stay. But, I can't see any point in getting into a protracted argument with you as somehow, I don't think logic is your strong suit. I hope things work out well for you wherever you choose to settle.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.