Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Stay in NZ or go home?

View Poll Results: Stay in NZ, or leave and go home?
Stay in NZ
68.75%
Leave and go home
31.25%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Stay in NZ or go home?

Old Jun 3rd 2008, 9:36 am
Just Joined

dustylegs11 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Stay in NZ or go home?

I have been reading and wondering what people REALLY think about NZ. I have read many threads, some of which turn into heated arguments. It does make it difficult to get a realistic overview at times.

So I would like to know through a poll and if money was not part of the problem with being able to afford a ticket home, would you stay in NZ, or would you return home, be it England or wherever?

Please be honest. Thank you very much.
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 9:48 am
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stay in NZ or go home?

money isn't just everything you know....

I can't vote. as I can't answer myself .
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 9:54 am
Just Joined

I only put the money bit in relation to buying a ticket. If the money was there for a ticket would you stay or go? I did not relate the money to the way or quality of life. That's what I thought would be one of the things that people would calculate themselves within their vote.

Last edited by dustylegs11; Jun 3rd 2008 at 9:57 am. Reason: spelling
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 10:02 am
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dustylegs11
I only put the money bit in relation to buying a ticket. If the money was there for a ticket would you stay or go? I did not relate the money to the way or quality of life. That's what I thought would be one of the things that people would calculate themselves within their vote.

Even then

still it doesn't make sense to me
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 10:13 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by crap coffee
Even then

still it doesn't make sense to me
Maybe I should have worded it differently. I should have made the poll just say, 'do you regret moving to NZ' yes or no.
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 10:20 am
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

NZ is home
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 11:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by pixi-dust
NZ is home
interesting.

I often think about this. and tell my friends; If NZ was my home (born & bred), I may be able to be attached to this country (no doubt).

I've realized I am not able to settle here forever (no matter how long I've been here - even 30 or 40 years - I'd never feel this place is real/true home). :Scared: to think about this; this is another possibility - I may end up my life in NZ . you never know.

Last edited by crap coffee; Jun 3rd 2008 at 12:46 pm.
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 12:45 pm
lionheart

howden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to all

I have been reading and wondering what people REALLY think about NZ. I have read many threads, some of which turn into heated arguments. It does make it difficult to get a realistic overview at times.

So I would like to know through a poll and if money was not part of the problem with being able to afford a ticket home, would you stay in NZ, or would you return home, be it England or wherever?

Please be honest. Thank you very much.
For me it's stay.

I can see why you put money in, as some of the comments lead me to believe that some who want to return to country of birth are unable to do so because they cannot afford to move.
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 1:57 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for that Howden,

Anyway it is just so nice to see that so far, people would rather stay
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 5:23 pm
Forum Regular

paulst30 is just really nicepaulst30 is just really nicepaulst30 is just really nicepaulst30 is just really nicepaulst30 is just really nicepaulst30 is just really nicepaulst30 is just really nicepaulst30 is just really nicepaulst30 is just really nicepaulst30 is just really nicepaulst30 is just really nice

i dont mean to psycho-analyze the situation but because you said "stay or go home" i felt that you already made your mind up, but i know what you mean about home.

People move house all the time in thier own country, yet feel something personal about the previous house, this does pass, and the new place does become home over time. Maybe we feel the same about countries, but only on a bigger time scale. Eventually NZ will be home, and you'll create new memories and get used to living.

For me i think i'd be disloyal if i called another country home, but then i think to myself there was a reason to move, and will it have changed? just ask us in the UK, we'll save you a trip lol

Just realised you may not actually live in NZ yet xD

Last edited by paulst30; Jun 3rd 2008 at 5:39 pm. Reason: i'm Derek Zoolander sometimes
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 5:51 pm
Just Joined

Hi Paulst30,

We are still in the UK, we are getting ready to move to NZ though.
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 8:34 pm
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe it depends on what your own definition of home is?
Mine is where I live, where my husband is, where things I love are, where I feel settled, where my heart is.. I could go on.
If I moved somewhere else and felt all these things it would become home.

Feeling that I am home in NZ doesn't mean that I have forgotten where I came from, I will always be Scottish ( even if I become a citizen here it's just how I feel) and if for some reason I found myself living there again it would be 'home'.

But I do feel New Zealand is home, by my own definition, I actually felt it very quickly once we arrived.
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 9:17 pm
Forum Regular

CCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud of

We're staying cause we love it! We did the 'going back to visit rellies' thing just after Christmas and couldn't wait to get back 'home'.
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 9:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe I should have worded it differently. I should have made the poll just say, 'do you regret moving to NZ' yes or no.
Never in a million years. I felt like I was coming home..I'd only been here 6 weeks previously and that was over 15 years ago!!!!!!

NZ is as good as it gets for me and my family..despite all the prevailing issues this country has....just like anywhere else.

The NZ glove fits....for now!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 9:31 pm
Just Joined

Well any doubts that I did have about leaving the UK for NZ have all gone. I think that the poll says it all. Thanks everyone for your input

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.