Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

The slag off New Zealand Ultimate Thread.

The slag off New Zealand Ultimate Thread.

Old May 24th 2007, 12:54 am

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The slag off New Zealand Ultimate Thread.

Originally Posted by Wiz'n'Ton
One thing I really hate is people who come to New Zealand only to complain.

Don't think anybody comes here to complain....though quite a few seem to start complaining when they get here!

Complaining is a natural part of being an ex-pat and settling in. I'd think people who went to live in a foreign country and didn't complain at all would be much stranger than the ones who moan.

Everything in moderation, of course..
Old May 24th 2007, 1:01 am
BE Enthusiast

brussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to behold

Avid, how can you be a new member with 485 posts, and i am a senior member with 205 posts ?
Old May 24th 2007, 1:02 am
Banned

howardk will become famous soon enoughhowardk will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by southerner
NZ along with Australia have the highest rates of skin cancer in the world.

About half of NZ's greenhouse gas emissions come from methane belched and farted by cows.

The NZ car emissions test involves: seeing if the exhaust emissions is smokey 10-15 seconds after starting the engine.

Inflation is high in NZ, therefore so are interest rates, and the NZ dollar.
high interest rates is a great plus....lend money out = great return......
Old May 24th 2007, 1:10 am

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brussels_sprout
Avid, how can you be a new member with 485 posts, and i am a senior member with 205 posts ?
Because your posts are better than mine.

I think it's some combination of 'karma' and post count that decides your status on this forum...

But I'm not 100% sure of that.....
Old May 24th 2007, 1:26 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

I think Wiz'n'ton was being ironic - maybe it was a bit too subtle for those whose sense of humour has been blunted by kiwis.
Old May 24th 2007, 3:42 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NZGrl
Lets see if NZ do well in the rugby world cup....coz if they don't we won't get to see any more matches on TV when they loose interest in what other countries are doing. Same with any sports...I bet in NZ was doing crap in America's cup it would have been taken off TV weeks ago!
How's the BBC coverage of the America's Cup this time. They don't seem to have covered the last few at all, you had to get up at 0330 and watch it on C4.
Old May 24th 2007, 8:41 am
BE Forum Addict

kwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Cava Fizz
The only rule is that everything has to be factually correct.

I'll start.

New Zealand is currently 12 hours ahead of GMT. This makes it terrible to talk to family and watch live football games.
http://www.timezoneconverter.com/cgi-bin/tzc.tzc

Football is not the number one sport

It rains more than England.
Actually I beg to differ, New Zealand is and I quote

New Zealand Law - Time Act 1974
(with the Time Amendment Act 1987)
Current as of March 2002.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Summary

New Zealand Standard Time is currently defined in the Time Act 1974 as meaning the 12 hours in advance of Coordinated Universal Time. The Department of Internal Affairs administers the Act.

Daylight Time commences at 2.00am Standard Time on the first Sunday in October each year. It ends at 2.00am Standard Time on the third Sunday in March of the following year.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Discussion

New Zealand Standard Time and Daylight Time

New Zealand Standard Time

On 2 November 1868, New Zealand officially adopted a standard time to be observed nationally, and was perhaps the first country to do so. It was based on the longitude 172° 30' East of Greenwich, that is 11 hours 30 minutes ahead of Greenwich Mean Time. This standard was known as New Zealand Mean Time.

Greenwich Mean Time was the mean time determined by observation of the sun at longitude measuring 0° east and west at Greenwich Observatory, England, that is Mean Time for the Greenwich Meridian.

In 1884, at an international conference in Washington DC, the Greenwich Meridian was adopted as the prime meridian, with all time reckoned to the longitude east or west of the prime meridian (Greenwich). The development of a system of standard time zones based on 24 meridians each 15 degrees or 1 hour apart as measured from Greenwich, was prompted by the expansion of railroads. Time differences between communities became a critical factor in the running of railroads over great distances such as in Canada and the United States.

In 1928 the term Universal Time (UTO) was adopted internationally as a more appropriate term than Greenwich Mean Time for the basis of an international standard of time. This was again prompted by expansion of rail transport and also shipping and air transport. But the term Greenwich Mean Time persisted in common usage, probably because at first the two were the same.

During the Second World War, clocks were advanced half an hour in New Zealand for the duration of the War, starting in 1941. This advance of time was made permanent in 1946 by the Standard Time Act 1945. The Act provided that the time at the meridian 180°E was adopted as the basis for New Zealand Time. The new Act put into effect New Zealand Standard Time which was permanently half an hour ahead of New Zealand Mean Time as determined in 1868 and 12 hours in advance of Greenwich Mean Time or Universal Time. (The Chatham Islands was 45 minutes in advance of New Zealand Mean Time under the new Act).

Have fun
Old May 24th 2007, 9:06 am
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kwprwn

Okay - so since WW2 (when they fudged the NZ clocks), NZ has been on GMT + 12 hours! Happy now?
Old May 24th 2007, 10:26 am
BE Enthusiast

jennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cava Fizz
Thank you again

Did i ever say I love the name Jennifer.

Bad things about NZ they let that Scot in to do one of the worlds un-funniest stand ups EVER FACT.

Please forgive me Cava Fizz.
It wasn't intentional.
Too much 'cava' not enough 'fizz' on my part!
Jeffiner.x
Old May 24th 2007, 10:35 am
duckfoot

ceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Wiz'n'Ton
The All Blacks will win the world cup. Lets see how well England do, I think they could lose to Samoa they are so bad.
I think not baby puppy just ordered the new little England top for my neice....cute as
Old May 24th 2007, 8:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

kwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by uk+kiwi

Okay - so since WW2 (when they fudged the NZ clocks), NZ has been on GMT + 12 hours! Happy now?
absolutley
Old May 24th 2007, 9:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

brussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by kwprwn

New Zealand Law - Time Act 1974
(with the Time Amendment Act 1987)
Current as of March 2002.

Summary

New Zealand Standard Time is currently defined in the Time Act 1974 as meaning the 12 hours in advance of Coordinated Universal Time. The Department of Internal Affairs administers the Act.

Have fun
This law was changed recently to allow 3 more weeks for NZ summer time.
Not a good start to the original post was it ? - "factually correct" , lol!
Old May 24th 2007, 9:51 pm
NS covern member #1

Poppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond repute

Well for fear of going off on a tangent as yet unexplored - I dont like that I cant adjust to life without certain UK foods

How can they live not knowing the joy that is bread sauce (luxury mind), or the tang of polishing off that 12th Jaffa cake?

for Christmas we ask for no presents as such, just a job lot of Quavers, Skips, Frazzles (rare as hen's teeth) and Jaffa cakes! Can you tell I am in a mid year craving spell??

(I know I could order these things or go to speciality shops.......just cant be bothered!)
Old May 24th 2007, 11:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jennifer45

Please forgive me Cava Fizz.
It wasn't intentional.
Too much 'cava' not enough 'fizz' on my part!
Jeffiner.x
Jen, are you Jennifer or Jeffiner?
Probably typing error?
Careful though, you will get folk thinking wondering if you are a 'he' or a 'she'.
xx
Old May 24th 2007, 11:19 pm
Forum Regular

bro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud of
Thumbs down Re: The slag off New Zealand Ultimate Thread.

One thing I really hate about NZ is that it doesn't take me at least 3 hours evert day commuting to work and back.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.