Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

The slag off New Zealand Ultimate Thread.

The slag off New Zealand Ultimate Thread.

Old May 26th 2007, 7:15 am
Forum Regular

Apple13 has a brilliant futureApple13 has a brilliant futureApple13 has a brilliant futureApple13 has a brilliant futureApple13 has a brilliant futureApple13 has a brilliant futureApple13 has a brilliant future
Default Re: The slag off New Zealand Ultimate Thread.

Originally Posted by mcuddy1
The picture you paint is one of a paradise, no pro's & con's from you, do you have anything bad to say re CHC.
I don't need to say anything bad about ChCh, there are plenty that do that already...

I am glad you have been enjoying the Port Hills, have you had a go on the mtb tracks yet? I love the walks out on Godley Head, just magic.

It was a lovely autumnal day in Christchurch today, what did you get up to?

Oh yes, and I was Apple12, now Apple13, lost my password, I didn't think that would be a problem?
Old May 26th 2007, 7:19 am
Forum Regular

Apple13 has a brilliant futureApple13 has a brilliant futureApple13 has a brilliant futureApple13 has a brilliant futureApple13 has a brilliant futureApple13 has a brilliant futureApple13 has a brilliant future

If your OH commutes by bike ask him what he thinks of the driving standards.
TBH, my OH hasn't found the bike commuting to be any different to the UK... and it is only 5 min so isn't really a biggie. He always did say that the buses in Cambridge were evil, same shit different bucket. At least there is plenty of offroad tracks just 10 min from our home, he is out on his mountain bike two evenings a week with a longer ride at the weekend, in fact he is competing at a race in Hanmer this weekend. Winter doesn't stop these idiots... night lights on and tree dodgems...
Old May 26th 2007, 7:28 am
BE Enthusiast

mcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Apple13
I don't need to say anything bad about ChCh, there are plenty that do that already...

I am glad you have been enjoying the Port Hills, have you had a go on the mtb tracks yet? I love the walks out on Godley Head, just magic.

It was a lovely autumnal day in Christchurch today, what did you get up to?

Oh yes, and I was Apple12, now Apple13, lost my password, I didn't think that would be a problem?
But is there anything you don't like?
I am the coach of a kids football team so it was that today. Also it would have be good day on the MTB, but alas I am still recovering from being wiped out by a car on Thurs and the worst thing my MTB is trashed and he has got no money.
The change of name just confused me as I was convinced there could not be another Apple12.
Old May 26th 2007, 7:30 am
BE Enthusiast

mcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Apple13
TBH, my OH hasn't found the bike commuting to be any different to the UK... and it is only 5 min so isn't really a biggie. He always did say that the buses in Cambridge were evil, same shit different bucket. At least there is plenty of offroad tracks just 10 min from our home, he is out on his mountain bike two evenings a week with a longer ride at the weekend, in fact he is competing at a race in Hanmer this weekend. Winter doesn't stop these idiots... night lights on and tree dodgems...
Is that the mountain Biathlon?
Old May 26th 2007, 7:34 am
Forum Regular

Is that the mountain Biathlon?
yip, bunch of nutters... have you been to Hanmer yet? This is a mountain run to the top of Mt Isobel, then a mtb down and round the back of the mountain back to Hanmer. I went as support crew last year, it is a really good event. The last text from my OH said he was off to the hotpools - what a life
Old May 26th 2007, 7:36 am
Forum Regular

but alas I am still recovering from being wiped out by a car on Thurs and the worst thing my MTB is trashed and he has got no money.
But surely your house and contents insurance will cover this, then it is their job to chase the *bleep*. Did you remember to claim any medical expenses on ACC?
Last week one of our friends trashed his nice new forks by forgetting about the roofrack and driving into the garage, he doesn't even have the luxury of blaming anyone else...

Last edited by Apple13; May 26th 2007 at 7:44 am.
Old May 26th 2007, 7:42 am
Forum Regular

Happy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to all

The 'slag off' board has been really good to read. This and others we've read elsewhere have caused us to look in greater detail at things we hadn't given enough thought to. We know it's not all pink and fluffy, and we've been researching crime stats/politics/economy on other forums. We've also recently met a teacher from Christchurch who talked to us about the boy racers & crime etc. Since no information is bad information, we're happy to hear or read everything - the more the better.

Our biggest concern is cost of living, at least now we have a more accurate picture.

We've moved many times with work both within and out side of the UK(often with little notice and at times to places I've hated on sight) We really do know how hard it can be financially and emotionally.

I won't post on this thread again, as the last thing I want to do is hijack it, it's a good thread and I didn't realise I could send a msg directly to Apple. I just really liked her post as she appears to enjoy the same things as me, and none of it was achievable for us in the UK. I'm optimistic rather than naive!!

Utopia does not exist!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.
If you think it's going to be perfect you are in for a surprise.
Good luck.
Old May 26th 2007, 9:10 am

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Happy Wanderer
The 'slag off' board has been really good to read. This and others we've read elsewhere have caused us to look in greater detail at things we hadn't given enough thought to. We know it's not all pink and fluffy, and we've been researching crime stats/politics/economy on other forums. We've also recently met a teacher from Christchurch who talked to us about the boy racers & crime etc. Since no information is bad information, we're happy to hear or read everything - the more the better.
The higher your expectations then the more chance of feeling let down. And, needless to say, the lower your expectations then the greater chance of a pleasant surprise.

Applies to everything, really.
Old May 26th 2007, 9:21 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

I won't post on this thread again, as the last thing I want to do is hijack it, it's a good thread and I didn't realise I could send a msg directly to Apple. I just really liked her post as she appears to enjoy the same things as me, and none of it was achievable for us in the UK. I'm optimistic rather than naive!!
You should feel free to post on any thread. They are always getting 'hijacked'. makes for a better (and more informative) read 9 times out of 10. I think Apple has a positive, vibrant, can do kind of outlook and that's always a winner, especially when the chips are down.
Old May 26th 2007, 9:26 am
Forum Regular

Happy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to all

Thank you Kiwi

Originally Posted by kiwi_child
You should feel free to post on any thread. They are always getting 'hijacked'. makes for a better (and more informative) read 9 times out of 10. I think Apple has a positive, vibrant, can do kind of outlook and that's always a winner, especially when the chips are down.
Old May 26th 2007, 9:26 am
Fight for the republic.

Cava Fizz has a spectacular aura aboutCava Fizz has a spectacular aura aboutCava Fizz has a spectacular aura about

Wowee Zowwee.

I don't know what is more surpising the direction this thread has taken or Michael Vaughn getting a century yesterday.

The thread was started as a bit of tongue in cheek references to what could be bad in NZ (i've never been couldn't locate it on a map and don't even know how to spell it) I just guessed mine and even got 1 wrong! It was mainly started because of that vent thread where people seemed to be mis-interpreting their opinons for facts.

It has got more serious but the tangent it has gone off at has been good and reasonably civil. So more please, this is really helping me make an informed decsion about NZ

PS/ Who mentioned Bridlington? and do you really travel on the M62 and M6 each day! I would ring the samaratins if I were you that cannot be fun.
Old May 26th 2007, 9:37 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you Kiwi
You're welcome...have some karma
Old May 26th 2007, 9:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Cava Fizz
Wowee Zowwee.

I don't know what is more surpising the direction this thread has taken or Michael Vaughn getting a century yesterday.

The thread was started as a bit of tongue in cheek references to what could be bad in NZ (i've never been couldn't locate it on a map and don't even know how to spell it) I just guessed mine and even got 1 wrong! It was mainly started because of that vent thread where people seemed to be mis-interpreting their opinons for facts.

It has got more serious but the tangent it has gone off at has been good and reasonably civil. So more please, this is really helping me make an informed decsion about NZ

PS/ Who mentioned Bridlington? and do you really travel on the M62 and M6 each day! I would ring the samaratins if I were you that cannot be fun.
Hey I come from near Manchester too.
I used to hate commuting to Salford Keys , It was such a boring shit hole. Surrounded by of theiving scumbags.
CHC is miles better, even the scumbags can be civil.
But be prepared, do not expect a land of milk & honey. Don't set your expectations to high. Kiwi's speak the same language but don't use words with to many letters in cause they won't understand.
Cheers
Old May 26th 2007, 9:41 am
Fight for the republic.

Cava Fizz has a spectacular aura aboutCava Fizz has a spectacular aura aboutCava Fizz has a spectacular aura about

Hey I come from near Manchester too.
I used to hate commuting to Salford Keys , It was such a boring shit hole. Surrounded by of theiving scumbags.
CHC is miles better, even the scumbags can be civil.
But be prepared, do not expect a land of milk & honey. Don't set your expectations to high. Kiwi's speak the same language but don't use words with to many letters in cause they won't understand.
Cheers
I agree with everything you said, but I couldn't resist!
Old May 26th 2007, 9:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Cava Fizz
I agree with everything you said, but I couldn't resist!
ok quays and to much Stella

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.