Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Shipping brand new whiteware/large appliances to NZ (part of bigger move)

Shipping brand new whiteware/large appliances to NZ (part of bigger move)

Old Oct 16th 2014, 4:02 am
Forum Regular

Polly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Shipping brand new whiteware/large appliances to NZ (part of bigger move)

We don't usually ship washing machines and fridges etc when we move. Its hard to wait at the other end for those things, unless of course you have a fully furnished place to stay while your good are moved.
Not sure of all my facts here, but I think you need to have owned something for one year before shipping it to NZ, otherwise you will get hit with GST in NZ.
Here in OZ I have bought 2 fridges in 5 years, total rubbish!
Has anyone been hit with GST on goods that are part of a house lot removal? It appears we have to pay GST on our pet horse when we bring him to NZ, but no GST for the dogs, very strange!
Old Oct 16th 2014, 5:40 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping brand new whiteware/large appliances to NZ (part of bigger move)

yes Polly you are correct, anything less than a one year old can cost to bring into NZ.
haven't heard that about horses and does seem a bit weird but sure they will come up with some explanation as to why
Old Oct 17th 2014, 6:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

SSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond repute

Just unwrap the good you buy and make sure the shippers don't write down 'New' on their paper work for anything. We had to pay gst on two beds we brought over but that was ages ago. If it's with a normal domestic house full of stuff the people here aren't really going to know it's new. We've only had the one washer in 10yrs, it's musical lol plays a little tune to let me know the load is done. It's a bit of a beast though, a top loader and he eats clothes! I keep waiting for him to break so I can buy a front loader but he just keeps on keeping on. We've had two fridges but that was because we were sick of a fridge freezer so just bought a huge fridge to replace it and we have an old commercial chest freezer in the garage to hold our meat, veg, milk and bread in. I buy in bulk and we grow our own meat so we need a huge freezer to fit everything in.
Trade Me is great for buying second hand stuff now, I don't even know if it existed when we arrived here. I certainly didn't know about it but if I had I would have bought a lot of stuff second hand from there if I'd needed to.
Microwaves, toaster, vacuum cleaner and kettles are a different story, we've gone through what seems like millions of them. They don't last very long at all. Irons too, but I don't iron lol, last time we had relatives staying with us they asked to borrow our iron and I had to admit I didn't have one ... very embarrassing :-/
Old Oct 17th 2014, 7:57 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by calrossi
Yup, just shove your new Miele or Bosch gear in the container.
you going to pay the import tax for them?

Please be aware, as previously stated, goods under 12 months old ARE subject to import tax so if you do bring anything you may get hit for costs to get them out of customs or costs to depose of them
Old Oct 17th 2014, 8:34 pm
Account Closed

calrossi is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=MrsFychan;11441774]you going to pay the import tax for them?

I will gladly pay the import tax, if any , on the following from currys uk, me Kenwood KIL60W14 integrated fridge £199/$450
Equivalent if attainable in NZ, Liebherr integrated fridge from smyths living $2599/£1200
Or I'd settle for the Liebherr.
I would suggest you compare prices then decide for yourself, but yeah I'll gladly send you some cash for the fridge
Thankyou

Last edited by calrossi; Oct 17th 2014 at 8:35 pm. Reason: Spellchecker!
Old Oct 17th 2014, 8:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute

Sssshhhh

Don't go telling everyone how much more stuff costs here.

You'll upset the Cost of Living deniers
Old Oct 17th 2014, 8:45 pm
Account Closed

Ha, just a heads up mate, pays to shop before you drop here I reckon. Like yeah design a kitchen with a great big hole in it for a shite fridge freezer, because you can't get integrated
Use old school ceramic hobs cause induction are three times the cost
Have a top loader running on hot n cold instead of integrated front loaders, because if they're integrated you don't know where they are, also the washing spills out the front
Actually got told that..
Yeah I'd buy in England, from the retail park @ Birstall
Old Oct 18th 2014, 5:27 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by barnsleymat
Sssshhhh

Don't go telling everyone how much more stuff costs here.

You'll upset the Cost of Living deniers
They're not deniers Matt, they're just on huge salaries !! (Yeah, right.) They've even taught their chickens to bring the freshly laid eggs into the kitchen ! Their back garden always looks like the fruit and veg section of the supermarket too. I can hear the theme tune of, 'The Good Life' t.v. show playing in my head right now.

In New Zealand - it's all about fresh air and sunshine isn't it ? Won't pay a lot of bills but it looks nice.

I'm glad people are happy here. Have, 'more' than they had in Britain. Or are poor but happy ?

If they are buying land here and building a house and all that. I'm just a bit sceptical that those self same people would have turned their noses up at living in beautiful, maybe even coastal, less populous counties in Britain to do the self same thing.

It was only moving to the other side of the world that gave them the motivation to do that, buy land, build a house and whatever else fashion statement they feel is necessary. Once again I marvel at what people can afford in NZ, whilst saying they couldn't afford it in Britain. Yet they shell out money hand over fist to get to NZ. So they did have the money........but getting to NZ was the only thing that motivated them to spend it.

Last edited by Snap Shot; Oct 18th 2014 at 5:38 pm. Reason: back on topic
Old Oct 18th 2014, 5:47 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

I'm still using my old UK bought toaster. I'm surprised it's still working but working but it is. Same with my UK bought hairdryer.

I have a rolling replacement programme for the kettle. Briscoes will refund or exchange what they sell for upto a year after it's purchased by a customer. So when a kettle I bought from there craps out after three months or spits boiling water when it boils I go back with the receipt and the non function kettle and get a free replacement. Or just pay a bit more and use the recently purchased kettle as part payment.
Old Oct 18th 2014, 8:48 pm
Account Closed

Yes, some things are expensive, do try & source from elsewhere if possible
But don't surround yourself with negative people who begrudge you doing well, snap shot you seem very negative, read a book by Napoleon Hill, but you do seem to have the attitude that all is doom n gloom, grass is greener elsewhere, maybe you're just one of those people with no go in them?
Good luck to the op, stay positive & you will be fine, don't forget the built in fridge though
Old Oct 18th 2014, 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by calrossi
But don't surround yourself with negative people who begrudge you doing well, snap shot you seem very negative, read a book by Napoleon Hill, but you do seem to have the attitude that all is doom n gloom, grass is greener elsewhere, maybe you're just one of those people with no go in them?
Good luck to the op, stay positive & you will be fine, don't forget the built in fridge though
Well, I'm putting this particular troll on a fast. However, you people who think you have all the answers or think you know it all and have yet to emigrate really make me smile.

I'm not taking the rest of the bait.
Old Oct 18th 2014, 9:14 pm

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snap Shot
They're not deniers Matt, they're just on huge salaries !! (Yeah, right.) They've even taught their chickens to bring the freshly laid eggs into the kitchen ! Their back garden always looks like the fruit and veg section of the supermarket too. I can hear the theme tune of, 'The Good Life' t.v. show playing in my head right now.

In New Zealand - it's all about fresh air and sunshine isn't it ? Won't pay a lot of bills but it looks nice.

I'm glad people are happy here. Have, 'more' than they had in Britain. Or are poor but happy ?

If they are buying land here and building a house and all that. I'm just a bit sceptical that those self same people would have turned their noses up at living in beautiful, maybe even coastal, less populous counties in Britain to do the self same thing.

It was only moving to the other side of the world that gave them the motivation to do that, buy land, build a house and whatever else fashion statement they feel is necessary. Once again I marvel at what people can afford in NZ, whilst saying they couldn't afford it in Britain. Yet they shell out money hand over fist to get to NZ. So they did have the money........but getting to NZ was the only thing that motivated them to spend it.

YAWN
Old Oct 18th 2014, 10:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snap Shot
I have a rolling replacement programme for the kettle. Briscoes will refund or exchange what they sell for upto a year after it's purchased by a customer. So when a kettle I bought from there craps out after three months or spits boiling water when it boils I go back with the receipt and the non function kettle and get a free replacement. Or just pay a bit more and use the recently purchased kettle as part payment.
Same here, I learned that trick too and always save the box and receipt for the kettle.