Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Shipping brand new whiteware/large appliances to NZ (part of bigger move)

Shipping brand new whiteware/large appliances to NZ (part of bigger move)

Old Oct 2nd 2014, 4:43 pm
Just Joined

nzbone is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Shipping brand new whiteware/large appliances to NZ (part of bigger move)

Hi all,

I am leaving soon and washing machines and dryers are a lot cheaper here and was thinking about taking a set to take back. The deal is even sweeter if you can get the VAT back here.

I spoke to my shipping company, Robinson's, and they have said they can provide a Certificate of Export saying the goods have been taken out of the country. But this is obviously different to say buying a laptop and claiming VAT at the airport.

Does anyone know how this is done? Which company is best to do this? I spoke with Currys and they were pretty useless TBH.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks.
Old Oct 2nd 2014, 6:19 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping brand new whiteware/large appliances to NZ (part of bigger move)

Manufacturers warranties ?
Old Oct 2nd 2014, 6:36 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Shipping brand new whiteware/large appliances to NZ (part of bigger move)

Yeah great point.

I'll price that in before I buy but if the savings are significant than you can insure yourself. So would be good to know re VAt
Old Oct 2nd 2014, 6:40 pm

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

The new items will be subject to GST in NZ.
Old Oct 2nd 2014, 6:46 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

cost of shipping, the wait for them to arrive so hiring before they do, the GST on new goods would I think out weighs the slight increase of cost over here. we brought our stuff with us, all over 8yrs old and the hassle we had to get a spare part was huge. firstly they refused to send out the desired part stating they would have to send an engineer first, which obviously they couldn't (Samsung) even though we stated very clearly we knew what part we needed and we would not hold them responsible if the thing still didn't work. Luckily after moaning about them on FB we got given a name of a Company that could ship the part over.but the hassle was unbelievable and took weeks for what was basically a £20 part
Old Oct 2nd 2014, 9:58 pm
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

We haven't had much luck with appliances bought here.

Fisher and Paykel toploader washer lasted 5 years then failed - repair bloke said we were lucky it hadn't caught fire as they often do.
Samsung toploader - repaired twice under possible fire recall. Pump is making 'orrible noises at 3 years.
Expensive Westinghouse oven - 4 years old - had all dials replaced, won't switch the heat on with fan any more, seal falling off, gas valve replaced under warranty.

Do we get the Friday afternoon units or something?

Last edited by RobClubley; Oct 2nd 2014 at 10:28 pm.
Old Oct 2nd 2014, 10:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

bearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond repute

We've decided that to go for a reasonable brand/make but with the most basic of functions is the best for us.
For example, we have a SMEG dishwasher that has a a twist-dial operation - has four settings plus a half load button, and an on/off button. That has lasted us all 11 years.
Our washing machine however is now #4 in 11 years. Again, we have ended up plumping for a reasonable brand (sorry can't remember which... I never use it) with a twist dial function through the various settings, plus a temp control, and an on/off. The Samsung ones with electronic displays lasted no time at all - one semi-caught fire..:homy:
Two things that we bought second hand when we got here are still going strong - a Simpson clothes drier (but that gets used about six time a years) and a solid as a rock Fisher and Pykel fridge - apparently the model is an old Fridgidaire one from about 20 years ago and a few people have said that they had one or their parents had one... and they are a legend - no-one has a bad word to say about them. It is very boxy and a bit yellow round edges now, but as it is in the garage now keeping some fermented water/yeast/hops/wheat products cold.
Old Oct 3rd 2014, 12:37 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by RobClubley
We haven't had much luck with appliances bought here.
Neither have we for some reason. I thought it was just us.
Old Oct 3rd 2014, 5:59 am
Just Joined

Well thanks for the advice MrsFychan when you put it like that makes sense to just buy in NZ. Save my money and buy second hand me thinks.

Cheers!
Old Oct 3rd 2014, 6:14 am
Nz

moving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd buy in nz or get second hand here. Lots of people move home. Rent places with washing machines or move back to uk so they are always thing like this coming up.can get washing machine for 150 dollars. Fridges are around 300 dollars. These are second hand. White goods cost a lot more here. Check out smiths city website it'll give u and idea.
Old Oct 3rd 2014, 8:16 am
Just Joined

Just had a look at smiths. Bosch washer here is about £380 similar model is $1900NZD so quite a price difference. I read on the ENZ forum that Bosch and Miele have a one year international warranty so will call to check.
Old Oct 3rd 2014, 7:15 pm

A word of warning reference a lot of big names being marketed worldwide. Companies usually do not like to transport massive distances so they produce in different factories for different continents. A vacuum cleaner I brought over required a new component so I tried to source from Oz only to be told that the serial number was European and due to slight differences in manufacture I had to go back to them.
Even my good ole "British" Triumph motorcycle was made in Thailand and Brazil!
Old Oct 15th 2014, 12:42 pm
Account Closed

calrossi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by nzbone
Just had a look at smiths. Bosch washer here is about £380 similar model is $1900NZD so quite a price difference. I read on the ENZ forum that Bosch and Miele have a one year international warranty so will call to check.
Bang on! Try getting any integrated appliances, it's like the quest for the grail! I would buy new in England, Miele, Bosch Smeg etc unwrap em & bring them over.
Check out the price of induction hobs, ovens etc it's a fortune here
Can you chuck an integrated fridge in your container for me, cheapest I've seen them for here is $1300 & that's a crap make!
Old Oct 16th 2014, 1:12 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

We shipped our Indesit Fridge/Freezer over with us in 2011 It was about three or so years old by then. It was still going but by the time we replaced it, it was tatty & icing up too frequently. Three years later we replaced it with a Westinghouse fridge freezer. The freezer draws keep falling apart, but other than that, so far so good. Our kitchen has a slot in the cupboard space for a fridge/freezer so we are governed by that with regard to size.

In NZ the cooker is part of the chattels of the house and is not to be removed when the house is sold. It doesn't stop it being a bit crap, i.e. not working properly which is what happened to us. Still never mind, I got a, 'Parmco' brand gas hob/electric oven about three years ago to replace it. All good. The cooker we left behind in Britain was old and past it's best anyway.

The vacuum cleaner is the one we bought with us. We rent our washing machine - brand is, 'LG'. It's our second washing machine in two years. The other one just got tired.

I noticed we did not bring a great deal of large electrical appliances with us. There was a dishwasher in the house we purchased - again, not working properly so I ditched it when I bought a second hand one.

Last edited by Snap Shot; Oct 16th 2014 at 1:15 am. Reason: so not do
Old Oct 16th 2014, 1:14 am
Nz

moving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Dyson vacumn cleaner! Bring one. You'd need to get out a small loan to pay it off here lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.